Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

    Just started this workout:

    https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...lebell-workout

    Trying to get a jump on New Years, and shed the fat I gained during the fall. Coupling this with LeanGains Intermittent Fasting.

    Has anyone had any experience with kettlebell swings? Trying to lose 5% body fat by January.

    #2
    What % body fat are you at right now? Unless really high that is a lofty goal in a month especially with all the eating that is done this time of year. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, so in addition to the workouts, ensure your diet is in check.

    Comment


      #3
      Starting with a 40 lb KB, I'll be increasing it by 5 lbs each week. Finished day one on Monday, and day two today.

      Workout plan as follows:

      Monday
      500 KB swings
      50 Tricep extensions w/ dumbbell

      Tuesday
      Bench Press
      Incline Bench Press
      Face Pulls
      100 KB Swings

      Wednesday
      500 KB Swings
      50 Goblet Squats

      Thursday
      500 KB Swings
      50 Weighted Chinups

      Friday
      Overhead Press
      Deadlifts
      Face Pulls
      100 KB Swings

      Saturday
      500 KB Swings

      Sunday
      Rest

      The results are supposed to be amazing, and I'm no longer focused on hitting weight PRs, but to cut, so I can manage my diet better. I'll be done by the last week of December, just in time for New Years when I can either go more cut, or clean bulk.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        What % body fat are you at right now? Unless really high that is a lofty goal in a month especially with all the eating that is done this time of year. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, so in addition to the workouts, ensure your diet is in check.
        The eye test would put me at about 20%. I was below 15% over the summer, and it's been a rough fall in terms of diet.

        Comment


          #5
          True, 5% is the goal, but no way do I expect to get there. I'll be eating at a deficit, and my lifts in between KB workouts will be maintenance of just a few reps of 85~90% of my max. Nothing too intense. As long as I drop a belt size or two, and lose maybe 10 lbs, I'll be pretty happy.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by devastitis View Post
            True, 5% is the goal, but no way do I expect to get there. I'll be eating at a deficit, and my lifts in between KB workouts will be maintenance of just a few reps of 85~90% of my max. Nothing too intense. As long as I drop a belt size or two, and lose maybe 10 lbs, I'll be pretty happy.
            It's important to set realistic goals. Normal/healthy weight loss is around 2-3 lbs per week. You should be able to get there. The one thing to keep in mind with constant repetition type exercises is eventually you will plateau. If so then switch it up.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              It's important to set realistic goals. Normal/healthy weight loss is around 2-3 lbs per week. You should be able to get there. The one thing to keep in mind with constant repetition type exercises is eventually you will plateau. If so then switch it up.
              Yup, I'm pretty optimistic about reaching my weight goal. Doc told me to lose 10-15 lbs by the next visit, and I expect to be there by then. The great thing about this workout is that it only lasts 4-5 weeks, dependent on how many workouts per week you do. And because I'll be increasing the weight of the kettlebell each week, the amount of time to do each workout should be consistently between 60-75 minutes, and plateauing shouldn't be an issue for such a short period of time. I'll update this thread to log my progress. Week 1 is just a feeler week, so I haven't timed myself, nor weighed myself/taken pics. Sunday will be the starting point, with 2200 swings under my belt, and hopefully I'll hit 10k by Christmas.

              Comment


                #8
                Your doctor told you to lose 10-15 lbs by next visit (query if that's an annual checkup) and you are potentially around 20% BF%? In my reasonably informed but wholly amateur opinion, that doesn't seem to line up with what most doctors would expect/say, unless you're focused on a particular performance goal and your doctor is on board with that or there's some other unknown factor.

                EDIT: Not trying to be combative, just curious.
                Last edited by hornsup84; November 25, 2015, 03:04 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  Your doctor told you to lose 10-15 lbs by next visit (query if that's an annual checkup) and you are potentially around 20% BF%? In my reasonably informed but wholly amateur opinion, that doesn't seem to line up with what most doctors would expect/say, unless you're focused on a particular performance goal and your doctor is on board with that or there's some other unknown factor.

                  EDIT: Not trying to be combative, just curious.
                  No problem. I went in for a checkup during the summer, and my tests showed my cholesterol levels and blood pressure were a bit high. He wanted to see if my weight affected my tests. So the doc wants me down to 170-175 lbs (currently fluctuating between 185 lbs - 190 lbs). I haven't been lower than 180 lbs in a long time, because of my strength PR goals. But now that I'm focusing mainly on a high intensity cardio routine with minimal weight training added in, I'm guessing I should be able to drop the poundage and get to the low to mid 170s.

                  The 5% body fat loss is just my goal, and what I want, at least in the short term. Long term goal, over the next 6 months, is 10% body fat loss. This isn't doctor's orders, but the fat loss should help with the weight loss as well.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                    Starting with a 40 lb KB, I'll be increasing it by 5 lbs each week. Finished day one on Monday, and day two today.

                    Workout plan as follows:

                    Monday
                    500 KB swings
                    50 Tricep extensions w/ dumbbell

                    Tuesday
                    Bench Press
                    Incline Bench Press
                    Face Pulls
                    100 KB Swings

                    Wednesday
                    500 KB Swings
                    50 Goblet Squats

                    Thursday
                    500 KB Swings
                    50 Weighted Chinups

                    Friday
                    Overhead Press
                    Deadlifts
                    Face Pulls
                    100 KB Swings

                    Saturday
                    500 KB Swings

                    Sunday
                    Rest

                    The results are supposed to be amazing, and I'm no longer focused on hitting weight PRs, but to cut, so I can manage my diet better. I'll be done by the last week of December, just in time for New Years when I can either go more cut, or clean bulk.
                    That seems rather over the top and you will get burnt out

                    You could probably do some compound exercises at maximal intensity and get results with far less time spent swinging a weight Eg. Clean & Jerk, Front Squats, Weighted Pullups, Bent over dips, Deadlifts, Pendlay Rows

                    I did IF and got a 6 pack(you can go search for my half nekkid body if you want to question it) took about 3 months and it was all heavy weight with pyramid structure trying to keep reps 6-10 range(eg. 100lbsx9, 90lbsx7, 80lbsx6) 45mins tops in gym.

                    with IF, when he says low carb on non workout days, really stick to that. Along with Meal delivery timing, even on workout days, eat carb meals AFTER the gym, not before.

                    GL!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                      That seems rather over the top and you will get burnt out

                      You could probably do some compound exercises at maximal intensity and get results with far less time spent swinging a weight Eg. Clean & Jerk, Front Squats, Weighted Pullups, Bent over dips, Deadlifts, Pendlay Rows

                      I did IF and got a 6 pack(you can go search for my half nekkid body if you want to question it) took about 3 months and it was all heavy weight with pyramid structure trying to keep reps 6-10 range(eg. 100lbsx9, 90lbsx7, 80lbsx6) 45mins tops in gym.

                      with IF, when he says low carb on non workout days, really stick to that. Along with Meal delivery timing, even on workout days, eat carb meals AFTER the gym, not before.

                      GL!
                      I know what you're saying, it's a ton of swings. But, it's only for a month, so I don't see myself burning out. I've done Smolov before, and that gassed me like no other. This should be cake compared to that. But I do plan on doing something like Berkhan's RPT once I finish this program, if I decide to cut more. Or Smolov Jr again for Squats/Bench, if I want to hate my life more.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've done the Dan John 10k Swing KB Workout. You're modified version looks okay, but just go with the actual program if you're able. It's not too much to handle, and I wouldn't worry about IF while doing this program. Just cut out processed carbs, and limit your booze. You'll need all the good carbs you can handle. It gets a bit boring towards the end of the program as the swings get a bit easier. I dropped a pant size, got shredded as hell, and my lifts improved (albeit not at the rate of a regular linear progression program). My conditioning went through the roof and my grip strength improved a lot. Your ass is going to grow a bit, so be prepared. Its a great program to do on occasion to break of the monotony of lifting. it's definitely a ball buster. Good luck

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by aporter600 View Post
                          I've done the Dan John 10k Swing KB Workout. You're modified version looks okay, but just go with the actual program if you're able. It's not too much to handle, and I wouldn't worry about IF while doing this program. Just cut out processed carbs, and limit your booze. You'll need all the good carbs you can handle. It gets a bit boring towards the end of the program as the swings get a bit easier. I dropped a pant size, got shredded as hell, and my lifts improved (albeit not at the rate of a regular linear progression program). My conditioning went through the roof and my grip strength improved a lot. Your ass is going to grow a bit, so be prepared. Its a great program to do on occasion to break of the monotony of lifting. it's definitely a ball buster. Good luck
                          Awesome, I knew there'd be some here who have done it. That's great to hear about the results. Were you on a strict diet, or just minimized processed carbs and booze? I love a drink or two each night to unwind, so hopefully that won't affect my cut too much. Did you use lifting gloves or straps? I don't usually use gloves during my lifts, but after day three, I've got some serious callouses that make me worried to continue. Looks like it's a few more swings away from opening up. I will continue of course, but only after my gloves come in. And what part of the program do you think isn't ideal? The week to week increase in weights, instead of sticking to 55 lbs for all 4 weeks? Or doing 4 workouts per week instead of 5?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                            Awesome, I knew there'd be some here who have done it. That's great to hear about the results. Were you on a strict diet, or just minimized processed carbs and booze? I love a drink or two each night to unwind, so hopefully that won't affect my cut too much. Did you use lifting gloves or straps? I don't usually use gloves during my lifts, but after day three, I've got some serious callouses that make me worried to continue. Looks like it's a few more swings away from opening up. I will continue of course, but only after my gloves come in. And what part of the program do you think isn't ideal? The week to week increase in weights, instead of sticking to 55 lbs for all 4 weeks? Or doing 4 workouts per week instead of 5?
                            I kept my drink down to about 3-4 per week while on the program, as I wanted to get pretty lean. I am not a huge fan of carbs anyway, but I just stuck to rice, potatoes, and oats.

                            As for the callouses, you need to buy a Ped Egg ASAP and start shaving those things down. My hands usually don't callous anymore, as I grew up working with my hands lot so my palms are pretty worn. Here is a video by Donny Shankel on hand care. His method work well, but you can always just follow the Ped Egg instructions; just apply the directions to your palms

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0

                            As for grip and straps, I've never has grip issues as I've work on cars since I was 10 or so. I do know a lot of guys who had to strap up for this program until they were acclimated. Just get some lifting chalk and chalk the hell our of your fingers and upper palms; not the entire hand.

                            As for the modified program you have designed: you should get a KB that you are comfortable with and work on time, not increasing weight. This is a conditioning and hypertrophy program. Just use the 53# KB and go at it. I'd cut out the days of pure lifting and just focus on the original program. The deadlifts and facepulls are going to interfere with this program tremendously.

                            It's a only a four week plan; your main lifts will not suffer once you pick them back up. You'll be in fantastic physical and metal shape and be ready to start a nice mass building program. Good luck.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              If you want to mix it up, I would recommend some cross-training in the pool. Stretch beforehand and then start out with like a nice easy 10 minutes or 400m. Then do like 8x 50m sprints as fast as you can with about 10 seconds rest in between. You can increase this each week and for example do 10x 50m sprints on week two. I do this basically every day, and I have been known to lose 10 pounds in a single practice. I am about the same weight as you and share many of the same physical characteristics as you do, so if it works for me, it should work pretty well for you. This could be good to mix up with you weight training on alternating days. If you want to get swol then weights are great, but a combination of weights and cardio with a good diet is what will truly let you start losing those pounds.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X