X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smbixby
    replied
    Originally posted by kilic.kerem View Post
    I finished one round p90x and now doing hybrid(insanity+p90x). Totally I lost 33 kg. And still continuing to loose and shaping. Any questions?
    Respect.

Leave a comment:

• kilic.kerem
    replied
    I finished one round p90x and now doing hybrid(insanity+p90x). Totally I lost 33 kg. And still continuing to loose and shaping. Any questions?

Leave a comment:

• Matchbook
    replied
    Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
    I agree weight training and a good diet probably is better. I normally do weight training with a bad diet though. Committing to p90x helped me got mentally all in. So far I have maintained clean eating for 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be a good habit I carry with me as I go back to the gym.
    What's your dietary protocol looking like right now? Are you actually counting calories and what not?

It's perfectly possibly to get six-pack in three months. Hell, it's possible to get one in less time through dieting and resistance training; it's just about how much lean mass you want to sacrifice to cut quickly or not.

Leave a comment:

• Matchbook
    replied
    Originally posted by ronrob View Post
    Find a bar and a cage and go to town.

Power 90, P90X-2, P90X-3, and Insanity are all flawed in some way, IMO.
    This is all anyone needs to read in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• beyarea
    replied
    I don't know much about the P90X routine, although I've had friends that have done it. My concern over things like this are that people use them as short-term commitment tools when lifelong habit changes are what is really needed. Sure, sometimes people will have a "thing" they want to look their best for, but those sprint efforts are never going to carry out long term and you almost always see a rebound in behavior.

If P90X works for you, go with it - but be very aware of what happens when you stop in the short and long term. If it's a sustainable thing for you, great.

Otherwise, it's probably best to first learn how to properly feed yourself (what and how much) - because it all starts and ends with diet. It's probably the hardest part of getting in shape.

Beyond that, do a mix of cardio and weight training depending on goals - mix them up and make sure you are getting enough with enough intensity. If P90X is that piece for you, great. But you can also just strap on some shoes and go for a run (if you want intensity, do sprint intervals, hill work, etc.).

Being fit now, or in 4 months is great - but being fit in a year, two years, and five years is even better.

:shrug:

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    replied
    Originally posted by ronrob View Post
    I'll be coming from the opposite end of the spectrum of most, I started rail thin and wanted to put on muscle. P90X was the first thing I used to help accomplish that.

I started my first round at the end of May, 2009. I didn't follow the diet. Instead, I used myfitnesspal.com to set up a very large surplus in caloric intake that concentrated on getting lots of protein. That was very difficult for me, as I was a life long under eater. I did P90X by the schedule otherwise, though as I began to make progress I found it better for me to skip the easier workouts as they didn't tax me much (Kenpo, for example).

I started at roughly 170 pounds at 6'2", 13% body fat - 170 was a high number for me, as I'd usually run 165ish, my historical weight had been closer to 150. I ended the first round up 11 pounds while maintaining my body fat level. I did a second round that brought me to 185, up 15 pounds total, and at 11% BF.

At that point, I took what I'd learned and moved to conventional weight work - squats, deadlifts, and so on. I've kept the Stretch and Yoga DVD's as something I do every couple of weeks when I'm needing a break. Over about two years, I came to around 200-205 pounds at 11-13% body fat levels, depending on the time, and have maintained that level for several years. The lowest I've been in the last couple of years is 192, about 8% BF.

My feeling on P90X is that it's great, particularly as a get you started type program. I believe better results can be had, both faster and more measurable, by a good lifting program coupled with good diet. However...that's hard information for a newbie to come by and make sense of. You won't lose anything by starting with P90X and graduating to something else. It's solid information, by and large, and it'll give solid results until the point comes that you can outstrip what the program pushes you to do. There may come a time when you can do more pushups than the length of window they allow on the DVD. You might need more weight than is reasonable to set up in the timeframe given. It's not that P90X doesn't work after a certain point, it's that other things become more reasonable to do.

Plus at some point you'll want to punch Tony Horton in the face. When that day comes, it's probably time to go lift. Find a bar and a cage and go to town.

I agree weight training and a good diet probably is better. I normally do weight training with a bad diet though. Committing to p90x helped me got mentally all in. So far I have maintained clean eating for 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be a good habit I carry with me as I go back to the gym.

Leave a comment:

• ronrob
    replied
    I'll be coming from the opposite end of the spectrum of most, I started rail thin and wanted to put on muscle. P90X was the first thing I used to help accomplish that.

I started my first round at the end of May, 2009. I didn't follow the diet. Instead, I used myfitnesspal.com to set up a very large surplus in caloric intake that concentrated on getting lots of protein. That was very difficult for me, as I was a life long under eater. I did P90X by the schedule otherwise, though as I began to make progress I found it better for me to skip the easier workouts as they didn't tax me much (Kenpo, for example).

I started at roughly 170 pounds at 6'2", 13% body fat - 170 was a high number for me, as I'd usually run 165ish, my historical weight had been closer to 150. I ended the first round up 11 pounds while maintaining my body fat level. I did a second round that brought me to 185, up 15 pounds total, and at 11% BF.

At that point, I took what I'd learned and moved to conventional weight work - squats, deadlifts, and so on. I've kept the Stretch and Yoga DVD's as something I do every couple of weeks when I'm needing a break. Over about two years, I came to around 200-205 pounds at 11-13% body fat levels, depending on the time, and have maintained that level for several years. The lowest I've been in the last couple of years is 192, about 8% BF.

My feeling on P90X is that it's great, particularly as a get you started type program. I believe better results can be had, both faster and more measurable, by a good lifting program coupled with good diet. However...that's hard information for a newbie to come by and make sense of. You won't lose anything by starting with P90X and graduating to something else. It's solid information, by and large, and it'll give solid results until the point comes that you can outstrip what the program pushes you to do. There may come a time when you can do more pushups than the length of window they allow on the DVD. You might need more weight than is reasonable to set up in the timeframe given. It's not that P90X doesn't work after a certain point, it's that other things become more reasonable to do.

Plus at some point you'll want to punch Tony Horton in the face. When that day comes, it's probably time to go lift. Find a bar and a cage and go to town.

Leave a comment:

• sbowie
    replied
    I know. Some of them are really unbelievable.

For the first P90X, I started around 5'11" 240lbs. I got down to about 210 in the first 3 months while eating pretty healthy. I like to follow the 80/20 lifestyle. Healthy all week (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks) and a little room for fun on the weekend/ an unhealthy snack here and there at night.

I've always been a bulkier guy, the lowest weight I've been the last 10 years was 185 my senior year of HS. With P90X2, I got down to 195. That's the best program of the 3 P90X iterations, in my opinion. Lots of functional work that focuses on building an athletic body using modern techniques, rather than the old-school bodybuilding feel of the first one, and without the time constraints of the third.

Also, in my opinion, Insanity is just too intense. I did it for a month and a half, and didn't see results, and it fatigued my body to a point where I didn't feel good about what I was doing so I stopped. I've heard the same from a lot of people who liked the P90X programs.

I like to live at a weight of around 205-210. I feel my strongest and am able to live a balanced lifestyle at that weight for my body without having a paunchy stomach, etc. I don't even bother trying for a 6-pack bc it's all diet focused and I don't want to eat boring chicken, rice, and veggies 7 days a week so I can see abs. At that weight, I can workout 4-5 days a week, and have a drink or two and some pizza on the weekend without feeling like a piece of crap about it. But to each their own!

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    replied
    Originally posted by sbowie View Post
    Hey [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]- I'm a big fan of P90X (enough that I registered as a threads member just to give my opinion). I did all three of them over 2013 and 2014 and I lost 40 pounds. Granted, my weight has since regulated and I've since moved on to going to a local gym for exercise, but I keep them around for those lazy days I don't want to drive to/ don't have time to go to the gym. they're great workouts, and with your planned changes in diet, I think you'll see great results. Good luck!
    I'm at the point right now where I have a few extra pounds. I'm about 6' 185. I have skinnier legs and a pretty strong upper body. I'm hoping to get to 175, build a little more muscle, and lose the gut. I know I'm not going to get a six pack after three months. Maybe I'll add in Insanity afterwards and that will get me there.

It's funny when you google P90x reviews you see these before and afters with these dramatic transformations that are totally unrealistic.

What were you results from doing your first 3 months? How did you eat?

Leave a comment:

• sbowie
    replied
    Hey [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]- I'm a big fan of P90X (enough that I registered as a threads member just to give my opinion). I did all three of them over 2013 and 2014 and I lost 40 pounds. Granted, my weight has since regulated and I've since moved on to going to a local gym for exercise, but I keep them around for those lazy days I don't want to drive to/ don't have time to go to the gym. they're great workouts, and with your planned changes in diet, I think you'll see great results. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    started a topic P90x

P90x

Has anyone on here successfully completed p90x? I just completed my second week.

A few years back I did two months of it without changing my diets and saw significant changes in body fat. Then I quit. This time I'm seriously changing my diet.

I'm curious if anyone has done it and what their results were. If you google p90x results you get a lot of people trying to sell you p90x training, showing you videos of how they went from Wilford Brimley to Hugh Jackman, as wolverine, and how they can help you do the same.

So I decided to take to the one place that I knew there would not be any beach body employees, dappered threads, hoping to get an unbiased review.
Working...
X