No announcement yet.

Craft beer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been into craft beers for about a year. Weyerbacher Brewing is one of my favorite local breweries based out of Easton, PA. They make a wonderful English Barleywine as well as some truly fantastic seasonal beers including a Belgian Quadruple. I also like Lagunitas (Sucks is great) and Victory (V12 is a great quad). Overall I've found I really like strong Belgian beers. Tripels, quads, 'strong dark's, etc... Trappist beers are fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by patatty View Post
      Atkinson. You?

I haven't made it out to 7th Settlement yet, but I have heard good things about it.
      I live in Dover, so 7th is a local spot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        I've been into craft beers for about a year. Weyerbacher Brewing is one of my favorite local breweries based out of Easton, PA. They make a wonderful English Barleywine as well as some truly fantastic seasonal beers including a Belgian Quadruple. I also like Lagunitas (Sucks is great) and Victory (V12 is a great quad). Overall I've found I really like strong Belgian beers. Tripels, quads, 'strong dark's, etc... Trappist beers are fantastic!
        I agree with all of this!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
          It's a trend. Everyone wants to be "extreme". I think it will pass or at least subside some although beer nerds like their hops! I think it's also an easy way to try and differentiate from the crowd if it's a new brewery, when in reality they are just following the herd. Give me an expertly made "mild" beer, like an Oktoberfest or a brown any day over those paint thinners people are calling IPAs. Although I won't lie, I love me some hops.
          Well it is definitely a trend here, that's for sure. It seems like all of the craft breweries here are trying to out do each other with hops hops and more hops. And as non-hop guy, I don't get it. It definitely seems like a 'cool' thing are the moment right now.

I'm with you. Give me a good expertly made beer any day.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            Well it is definitely a trend here, that's for sure. It seems like all of the craft breweries here are trying to out do each other with hops hops and more hops. And as non-hop guy, I don't get it. It definitely seems like a 'cool' thing are the moment right now.

Rye beers used to be a thing for like 6 months. Thank goodness that mostly died off! Hops have more legs but hopefully breweries will settle down soon. And hey, there is always TONS of great German beers, not local (unless you're in Germany), but those Germans really don't mess with hops that much other than with some of their more bitter pilsners.

Comment

Well the local/craft guys are starting to come out with Oktoberfest beers now. Not to mention a few pumpkin spiced beers are making the rounds now. I had this one last night. It was ok, but I'm still searching for the right one.

Comment

You guys seeing any good pumpkin beers out your way?

Comment

Always good pumpkins. All depends what you like and are after.

My go to's:
                  Erie's Johnny Rails ... just spiced right. Perfectly balanced.
                  Punkin Drublic - Coronado Brewing ... just amazing at at 8% ...
                  DogFishHead Punkin' Ale - a little more pumpkin than spice. A good go to.
                  New Holland Ichabod Ale - not overpowering on spice or pumpkin. Well balanced.

I just kegged my pumpkin (a bit too much bittering hops ... will adjust next time) and my kolsch for two parties this weekend.

Comment

I picked up a new (to me anyway) pumpkin ale last night. I'll post what I think of it soon.

Comment

Just wait for more people to learn about the estrogen levels in super hopped beer...

Comment

Having some Dewey Beach Brewing Company Oktoberfest that my aunt brought back from the beach. If you are ever in Dewey or nearby Rehoboth I suggest you stop in. Beautiful place and the beer is very good.

Comment

Man that would be sweet. I can see it now. All these hipsters freaking out. heh heh.

Comment

I will suggest some of my local favorites (Richmond, Va) for the fall and winter.

Local Staples:
                            Legends Brewery Brown Ale (http://www.legendbrewing.com/)
                            Ardent Saison (http://ardentcraftales.com/#abo)
                            Strangeways Phantasmic East Coast IPA (http://strangewaysbrewing.com/) This is my favorite local brew and my favorite brewery for their high quality in every batch.

The must have beer for Fall though is
                            Hardywood Gingerbread Stout (http://www.hardywood.com/)
                            The first beer to ever get a perfect score from Beer Advocate!
                            100 Score (out of 100), Beer Advocate Magazine, April 2012
                            Silver, 2012 Virginia Beer Cup, Dark Beer Category
                            Bronze, 2012 World Beer Cup, Herb and Spice Beer Category

Comment

+1 on the Karbach tip. They out do St Arnolds for top houston brewery IMO for their wider portfolio and more modern beers. They are also more consistent.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Endeavor is a world class beer, and they do seem to be consistent with that one. Also Art Car IPA just came out, and is the most modern style IPA from St Arnold yet, and it is good.

I'll recommend Odell Brewing out of Colorado, they have a range of beers that are very balanced and flavorful.

I for one am not worried about estrogen levels in hoppy beers. Sounds like the fear mongering of hop haters, there are plenty of food products that have slightly bad qualities health wise.

This just in.... Bacon has nitrites and is bad for you. Run.

Mmmm, bacon.

But in all seriousness, I think with the rise of craft popularity over the last 10 years, hoppy beers are popular within the niche because they set themselves apart from the regular light american pilsners the most. Stouts are a little too strong and crazy flavored for new craft beer drinkers often, and recognizing a good kolsch or lighter ale is not as easy or "cool". The IPA crazy will probably die down in the next 10 years, but hoppy beers will always be out there. If you don't like them, there are plenty of other styles to choose from.

Comment

You guys seeing any good pumpkin beers out your way?
                                A good pumpkin beer is a dead pumpkin beer... I just can't take the spices. I used to try 4-5 every season but I am sick of paying for a clove assault on my tastebuds. I tried the dogfish head one this year and left 3/4 of it at the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X