No announcement yet.

Craft beer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got really in to craft beer about 3 years ago. I was trading for all sorts of stuff (I still trade for Vermont stuff occasionally); I even took a trip to Belgium and visited both Cantillon and the St. Sixtus abbey (Westvletern). I still have a fairly extensive "cellar" that I'm working my way through since I was acquiring much faster than I could (or should) consume.

However, now I prefer to just buy good beer that I can get off the shelf at my local store. As far as local breweries go, Westbrook is about 3 hours from where I live in SC and they make quite a few good brews; in the summer I usually buy a good amount of their White Thai and Gose in cans. Other than Westbrook, I find that I buy a lot of Oskar Blues beer, especially Dales Pale Ale. After they opened their new brewery in NC (I consider that semi-local since I'm in SC) their availability and freshness has skyrocketed here in SC. Lately, I've also also been in to Wicked Weed from Asheville, NC which is about an hour and a half drive from my house. They make some amazing IPAs and sours.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
      This is the biggest reason that I rarely get growlers. I just don't want to drink that much beer at one time. I occasionally get them when having people over or to take somewhere with me.
      Same. I'm usually using them to fill with my home-brew to take over for watching hockey games etc. with the guys.

Comment

Boston Rounds might be a good alternative to a growler. Although I can't say I've used any myself.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          Same. I'm usually using them to fill with my home-brew to take over for watching hockey games etc. with the guys.
          I used to own a homebrew shop back in another life. I just brewed for the first time in about a year last weekend. Gotta get back into it. Are you all-grain or extract?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
            I used to own a homebrew shop back in another life. I just brewed for the first time in about a year last weekend. Gotta get back into it. Are you all-grain or extract?
            Extract for right now do to space and time concerns. Been doing it for about a year and 1/2. Love it. Going to go into doing 1 gallon small batches to start making my own recipes.

Comment

In the craft beer discussion, a good friend of mine owns and is head brewer for a local brewpub out here in NH. He just won a gold medal at the Great American Brew Fest in CO for his brown ale, (in the American Brown Ales category)! Pretty awesome, especially for being such a small and fairly new place.
              Which brewpub in NH? I am in Southern NH and am always looking for a good, new (to me) brewpub.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                Extract for right now do to space and time concerns. Been doing it for about a year and 1/2. Love it. Going to go into doing 1 gallon small batches to start making my own recipes.
                look into brew-in-a-bag. It's a pretty inexpensive way to step up to all grain, which can produce much better beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                  look into brew-in-a-bag. It's a pretty inexpensive way to step up to all grain, which can produce much better beer.
                  Thanks will do!

Comment

Originally posted by patatty View Post
                    Which brewpub in NH? I am in Southern NH and am always looking for a good, new (to me) brewpub.
                    7th Settlement in Dover. Where in SNH are you located?

http://www.7thsettlement.com/

Comment

This is the biggest reason that I rarely get growlers. I just don't want to drink that much beer at one time. I occasionally get them when having people over or to take somewhere with me.
                      You may want to check into some of these options;
                      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-as-good-as-th
                      http://growltap.com/

For beer picks, Yazoo's Hefeweizen (Nashville, TN) is probably the best Hef I've tasted.
                      Flying Dog (Frederick, MD) makes a pretty great coffee stout (Kujo) along with several, let's call them, interesting options. Those include an Oyster flavored beer and Old Bay flavored beer; I cannot recommend a 6-pack of either, but trying one or two will be an experience.

Comment

Are you guys seeing a surge in IPAs in your part of the world? IPAs with lots of hops are all the rage here. And as someone who is not a fan of hops, it can be a challenge finding a good drink. Now that winter is approaching (at least in my part of the world) there will be some more porters and stouts coming out - thankfully! Those my beers. The darker, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                          Are you guys seeing a surge in IPAs in your part of the world? IPAs with lots of hops are all the rage here. And as someone who is not a fan of hops, it can be a challenge finding a good drink. Now that winter is approaching (at least in my part of the world) there will be some more porters and stouts coming out - thankfully! Those my beers. The darker, the better.
                          Yup, the bitter hop with more hops and hops on top of hops (aka Dogfishead) is rampant. But hops don't always equal bitter. I'm a hefie, german based beer fan with the right stout, red ales, etc. But there are IPAs that are more on the fruity smell/side I like (Jai Alai) (http://cigarcitybrewing.com/beer/jai-alai-ipa/).

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                            You may want to check into some of these options;
                            https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-as-good-as-th
                            http://growltap.com/

For beer picks, Yazoo's Hefeweizen (Nashville, TN) is probably the best Hef I've tasted.
                            Flying Dog (Frederick, MD) makes a pretty great coffee stout (Kujo) along with several, let's call them, interesting options. Those include an Oyster flavored beer and Old Bay flavored beer; I cannot recommend a 6-pack of either, but trying one or two will be an experience.
                            I recently got my dad a customized drinktanks double-wall insulated stainless growler as a retirement gift. It was awesome! They make a growler saver/CO2 tap-cap for it as well, (which I didnt get him). Made me wish I had one!

Comment

7th Settlement in Dover. Where in SNH are you located?

http://www.7thsettlement.com/
                              Atkinson. You?

I haven't made it out to 7th Settlement yet, but I have heard good things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                It's a trend. Everyone wants to be "extreme". I think it will pass or at least subside some although beer nerds like their hops! I think it's also an easy way to try and differentiate from the crowd if it's a new brewery, when in reality they are just following the herd. Give me an expertly made "mild" beer, like an Oktoberfest or a brown any day over those paint thinners people are calling IPAs. Although I won't lie, I love me some hops.

Comment

Working...
                                X