Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all home bartenders!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calling all home bartenders!

    Thought it might be interesting to start a thread sharing drinks/recipes for those of us that enjoy coming up with drinks at home and want to share our successes. I'll admit that the Heathcock from today's post sounds AMAZING but not sure if I really want to lay out the cash to buy green chartreuse for my home bar. Stuff is expensive. Anyway, for those of you still in warmer climes or just in denial about the end of summer, I made this one a couple weeks back and despite its simplicity it's probably one of the best I've made:

    2oz Hendricks Gin
    1oz Cocchi Americano
    Juice of 1/2 a lime
    Grapefruit bitters (or whatever citrusy stuff you have)

    The combo of sweetness and gentian root from the Americano makes this basically halfway between a fizz free G&T and a daiquiri. Refreshing enough on its own that it's probably best shaken with ice and served up rather than on the rocks.

    Seems simple enough that it's probably got a name already, but happy to field some suggestions!

  • #2
    Originally posted by southy View Post
    Thought it might be interesting to start a thread sharing drinks/recipes for those of us that enjoy coming up with drinks at home and want to share our successes. I'll admit that the Heathcock from today's post sounds AMAZING but not sure if I really want to lay out the cash to buy green chartreuse for my home bar. Stuff is expensive. Anyway, for those of you still in warmer climes or just in denial about the end of summer, I made this one a couple weeks back and despite its simplicity it's probably one of the best I've made:

    2oz Hendricks Gin
    1oz Cocchi Americano
    Juice of 1/2 a lime
    Grapefruit bitters (or whatever citrusy stuff you have)

    The combo of sweetness and gentian root from the Americano makes this basically halfway between a fizz free G&T and a daiquiri. Refreshing enough on its own that it's probably best shaken with ice and served up rather than on the rocks.

    Seems simple enough that it's probably got a name already, but happy to field some suggestions!
    I'm a big fan of the after-work cocktail. Usually it'll be a G&T, but occasionally I'll get a wild hair and play around a bit. I don't really use specific measurements. If something doesn't taste right, my preferred method of correction is adding more vodka until the unpleasant taste is diluted.

    This past summer I had a mild obsessions with cucumber. My fiance's favorite at home drink became the following:

    3 parts vodka;
    1 part elderflower;
    a little lime juice;
    2-3 muddled slices of cucumber.

    Shake and pour over ice. Garnish with a slice slice of cucumber.

    *This recipe is no doubt inspired by something I've seen online. If I could post the original, I would. I just don't recall the exact measurements/ingredients other than elderflower and cucumber, or where I found the original recipe.

    As we move into the fall, I've started to play with some infused bourbons. So far the best has been bourbon infused with granny smith apples + vanilla bean + cinnamon stick. I've found that it can steep from 1-3 weeks, and that the longer it sits, the less sharp the cinnamon taste becomes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
      I'm a big fan of the after-work cocktail. Usually it'll be a G&T, but occasionally I'll get a wild hair and play around a bit. I don't really use specific measurements. If something doesn't taste right, my preferred method of correction is adding more vodka until the unpleasant taste is diluted.

      This past summer I had a mild obsessions with cucumber. My fiance's favorite at home drink became the following:

      ...

      As we move into the fall, I've started to play with some infused bourbons. So far the best has been bourbon infused with granny smith apples + vanilla bean + cinnamon stick. I've found that it can steep from 1-3 weeks, and that the longer it sits, the less sharp the cinnamon taste becomes.
      Me too! I made a bunch of batches of cucumber margaritas over the summer. A bit labor intensive since I blend up the cukes and then strain out all the liquid and juice all the lime by hand, but very worth it. I'll throw in a jalapeno with the cucumber in the blender if I'm feeling spicy.

      I also made my first attempt at infusing bourbon with bacon the other day. Basically made up a big batch of bacon and mixed the rendered fat with bourbon, stirred it up, then put it in the fridge to let the fat solidify on top. Then just poke a hole and pour it out. The result was subtler than I was going for, but still delicious.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by southy View Post
        I also made my first attempt at infusing bourbon with bacon the other day. Basically made up a big batch of bacon and mixed the rendered fat with bourbon, stirred it up, then put it in the fridge to let the fat solidify on top. Then just poke a hole and pour it out. The result was subtler than I was going for, but still delicious.
        Infusions are fun, and easy. I haven't tried bacon infused bourbon, but I've given several others a shot. Basil cucumber vodka (terrible - I kept the basil in far too long); blackberry vodka (very very good); blackberry bourbon (good); blackberry mint bourbon (really good); pineapple vodka (should've been very easy, but it didn't turn out well); and various combinations of apples, cinnamon, and bourbon.

        I've also tried my hand at limoncello, which is the end-all-be-all of infusions for some. I thought the results were okay. My better half found that, instead of drinking my limoncello straight, she liked to use it to make pimm's cups. (I'm still looking for the perfect pimm's cup recipe....).

        I picked up this book, Infuse, a while back. I actually haven't tried any of the recipes, but it's decently written and the pictures are nice. Interestingly, these guys suggest liquor infusions take far less time than the typical "1-3 weeks in a cool dark place."

        Comment


        • #5
          The blackberry sounds awesome. I take it you muddled them first then strained/filtered the spirit out?

          I think you can accelerate the process quite a bit by changing the proportions/surface area exposure (or convection if you're really enterprising). I did a ginger rum (trying to get to a dark and stormy without all the sugar from the ginger beer) and by shaving the ginger with a peeler it took maybe a day to get the desired effect. Of course the bacon one using rendered fat took a little over an hour and most of that was cooking the bacon and letting the lard set in the fridge.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
            (I'm still looking for the perfect pimm's cup recipe....).
            Oof, me too. I'm in search of a decent version that uses Barrow's Intense Ginger Liqueur (because I love it). My experiments so far haven't turned out great, but the work continues...

            Comment


            • #7
              We had a pretty lively cocktail thread here a couple of years ago: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...orite-Cocktail.

              These days I mostly make Negronis or Boulevardiers at home (or variations on them), though I play around with other stuff as well. Those two are just so easy to make and endlessly tweak-able, though. A couple of weeks ago I got it in my head to drink pisco sours on a Friday night and they turned out pretty damn great.

              I think that in my ideal, money-is-no-object, life I would sell booze and make cocktails for a living. It's like chemistry for people who suck at math and like to get people drunk.

              Comment


              • #8
                Bourbon
                Glass

                Drink.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by southy View Post
                  The blackberry sounds awesome. I take it you muddled them first then strained/filtered the spirit out?
                  Actually, no. I put them in whole. Once you're done drinking the liquor, the left over blackberries make for an okay snack. Kind of like vodka soaked gummy bears from back in the day. Muddling would speed up the process, but I think my way is more fun.

                  Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                  Bourbon
                  Glass

                  Drink.
                  What, no ice?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                    Bourbon
                    Glass

                    Drink.
                    Yes, that's good too.

                    I've got a little rye collection going - half the time I just drink it with an ice cube, the other half I go through the effort to make a Sazerac. It's not always better that way, but when you get it just right, my goodness.

                    Leopold Bros. makes an excellent absinthe, btw, for those of you a) not huge fans of anise, like me, and b) want something that's sold in small bottles that don't cost $100 a pop and you're going to use a tsp per drink.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's my Pimms Cup recipe:

                      2 oz Pimms
                      .25 oz lemon juice
                      2 cucumber wheels, halved

                      Shake, pour over Golsing's ginger beer and garnish with a mint sprig

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by heymamabear View Post
                        Here's my Pimms Cup recipe:

                        2 oz Pimms
                        .25 oz lemon juice
                        2 cucumber wheels, halved

                        Shake, pour over Golsing's ginger beer and garnish with a mint sprig
                        Sounds legit. The Gosling's is going to give it the zip it needs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                          Sounds legit. The Gosling's is going to give it the zip it needs.
                          I don't think I've ever used ginger beer in a Pimm's Cup, but it does sound like something I should try.

                          I have some Liber & Co ginger syrup that was in a Bespoke Post box several months ago. I used it for Moscow Mules and a few other drinks, but it's a little too spicy for my personal taste. I'll have to see if maybe some Pimm's can bring it down a bit.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I mixed Pimm's and Fever Tree ginger beer a few times this summer; it was fantastic. I highly recommend Fever Tree.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Any recommendations for Captain Morgan's that doesn't involve soda? I gave up soda but have a LOT of captain morgan's left over ... miss my captain and coke very much.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X