Calling all home bartenders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Any recommendations for Captain Morgan's that doesn't involve soda? I gave up soda but have a LOT of captain morgan's left over ... miss my captain and coke very much.
    I have had captain morgan's and tea before. It wasn't bad, but definitely not the best drink I've ever had (but I am not a big spiced rum fan). The only other thing that comes to mind would be a rum punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
      Oof, me too. I'm in search of a decent version that uses Barrow's Intense Ginger Liqueur (because I love it). My experiments so far haven't turned out great, but the work continues...
      I was at a bar this weekend and had a "Fall Pimm's Cup." It was a Pimm's Cup with apple, and actually one of the better pimm's cups I've ever had. The bartender told me how he made it, and I was able to recreate it at home with some success.

(1) Chop/dice 2-3 slices of apple, mix with sugar and lemon juice.

(2) Muddle the apples, sugar, and lemon juice.

(3) Add some limoncello, cynar (I didn't have Cynar at home so just omitted it and it turned out fine) and pimms.

(4) Shake, strain, and serve.

Sorry, no exact measurements. But, I'm sure you can eyeball it and play around till you get it how you like it.

Comment

That sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot!

Comment

It's getting a little late in the year for heat beating cocktails but here's a variation I make on the G&T that is very, very refreshing.

1.5-2 oz Hendricks gin
          1/2 to 1 oz Jack Rudy tonic syrup
          the juice of 1/4 of a lemon (Juice half a lemon and make two)
          a lemon wheel
          2 fresh basil leaves
          soda water

Combine all ingredients over ice in a rocks glass and stir gently to combine. I usually use 1.5 oz of gin and 1/2 ounce of tonic syrup but the nice thing about tonic syrup is you can adjust the drink according to your taste.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by southy View Post
            I'll admit that the Heathcock from today's post sounds AMAZING but not sure if I really want to lay out the cash to buy green chartreuse for my home bar. Stuff is expensive.
            I for one consider Green Chartreuse a must have for my bar, I love the stuff. It is kind of expensive but it is very flavorful and high proof(55%), so it goes a long way. If you haven't tried it, then yea try it in a bar first.

My favorite green chartreuse drink is The Last Word. Wonderful hazy green color, complex taste, and refreshing. It's a classic IMO, and easy. Equal parts of each ingredient.

For one drink:
            3/4 oz Dry gin
            3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
            3/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
            3/4 oz Lime juice

Hard shake and double strain. Serve up in a chilled glass.

I also use the Chartreuse as an Absinthe substitute for the occasional drink that calls for it due to it's anise notes.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              Any recommendations for Captain Morgan's that doesn't involve soda? I gave up soda but have a LOT of captain morgan's left over ... miss my captain and coke very much.
              Captain Mo is a tough one since a) it doesn't taste very good on its own and b) it's pretty heavily spiced. Doesn't work great with citrus, but you may be able to get away with something like a mai-tai which is boozy and fantastic when done well. I haven't made it myself so I won't recommend a recipe.

Since it's fall, hot apple cider would make a good mixer too. Throw in some cinnamon, angostura bitters, maybe even a little butter... hey, you said no soda but you didn't say it had to be healthy!

Comment

Captain Mo is a tough one since a) it doesn't taste very good on its own and b) it's pretty heavily spiced. Doesn't work great with citrus, but you may be able to get away with something like a mai-tai which is boozy and fantastic when done well. I haven't made it myself so I won't recommend a recipe.

Since it's fall, hot apple cider would make a good mixer too. Throw in some cinnamon, angostura bitters, maybe even a little butter... hey, you said no soda but you didn't say it had to be healthy!
                It might make a decent dark and stormy. To avoid too much sugar, use seltzer and a little ginger syrup or some ginger liqueur like Barrow's Intense. It won't have exactly the same flavor as a dark and stormy with ginger beer, but it'll probably be decent.

Comment

Spring for the Chartreuse. It's expensive, yes, but you don't need to use much in a drink to get the awesome herbal notes it imparts.

And then make a Last Word:
                  Equal parts gin, green Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur and freshly squeezed lime juice. Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass. Sip. Be happy.

Comment

A buddy's birthday is tomorrow and he's a big fan of Blanton's, any recommendations for a similarly accessible/not too dry or spicy bourbon?

Comment

Originally posted by wisc0kid View Post
                      A buddy's birthday is tomorrow and he's a big fan of Blanton's, any recommendations for a similarly accessible/not too dry or spicy bourbon?
                      I'm more of a rye drinker but I do like Blanton's quite a bit. Four Roses single barrel is not that far off. I'm sure there are plenty of others. How much do you like this friend? If you can find him a bottle of Pappy (even the Van Winkle 12) and he will be forever in your debt.

Comment

Thanks!

Four Roses single barrel is not that far off. I'm sure there are plenty of others. How much do you like this friend? If you can find him a bottle of Pappy (even the Van Winkle 12) and he will be forever in your debt.
                        Was leaning toward Four Roses so I think that's the choice! He got me a bottle of Blanton's for my birthday not too long ago so the standard has been set, no Pappy this year haha. Appreciate it!

Comment

For me, it's now whiskey cocktail season, so I'll share three of my favorites.

1. Sazerac
                          To a shaker, add:
                          3/4 tsp sugar;
                          3 dashes peychaud's; and
                          1 dash angostura.
                          Muddle until sugar is dissolved.
                          Add 2.5 oz rye whiskey (Sazerac brand is a great value rye widely available here in New Orleans, YMMV).
                          and ice and stir until chilled.
                          Take rocks glass out of freezer (that's where you keep them, right?)
                          Spritz inside of glass with herbsaint (I recommend getting an atomizer for your herbsaint if you're going to make these with any frequency. It really does make a difference.)
                          Strain sazerac into the glass.
                          Pull off a big lemon peel and express oils over the drink. Rub outside of peel around rim of glass and either discard the peel (traditional) or drop it into the drink.

2. Manhattan:
                          To cocktail shaker, add:
                          2.5 oz rye (My favorite so far is Michters, but I'm still trying different ones. You could also use bourbon).
                          1 oz carpano antica (or other sweet vermouths, but carpano is king).
                          2-3 dashes angostura (or other aromatic bitters - Bitter Truth makes a good one).
                          Stir with ice and strain into chilled cocktail coupe.
                          Add a good cherry (Luxardo maraschino are a worthwhile investment if you're not into making your own).
                          Manhattan's might be my favorite cocktail. The ratio above works for carpano and most ryes, but you do have to adjust it depending on which whiskey and which vermouth you use. You can easily end up with a drink that tastes too watered down or too much burn if you don't balance them right. If you make them with some frequency, I would write down the ratios you like for the pairings you use. I used to be terrible at this, but got better once I realized how valuable it is.

3. Old Fashioned:
                          This may be the most customizable of the three (Manhattansare also very customizable, but are limited by vermouth options). Here's one I really like:
                          To your old fashioned glass, add:
                          1 tsp sugar;
                          2 big orange peels;
                          a few dashes of bitters (aromatic are traditional, but you can play around); and
                          a few drops of water.
                          Gently muddle until sugar dissolved and orange releases its oils.
                          Add 3 oz of bourbon (use decent bourbon, but not sipping bourbon. Zacapa 23 rum is also fantastic here)
                          Add 3-4 whole cloves.
                          Let drink sit for 15 minutes (worth it to let the flavors infuse and meld together).
                          Add a big ice cube, stir to chill, and serve.

I'm in the process of infusing a bottle of bourbon with orange peels (and I'll add whole cloves for the last few hours). That might allow me to make this awesome tasting old fashioned without waiting those 15 minutes (and the flavors might even be better).

Cheers, fellow cocktail enthusiasts.

Comment

It seems like about 30-40% of my Tweets are cocktail recipes I'm making/drinking (with pictures):
                            https://twitter.com/JMJACO/media

If anyone is looking for some new stuff to try check it out.

Comment

I thought about this thread while trying to re-create a cocktail I had a few times during a recent trip. I managed to recreate the drink with some success, but I'll continue to fine tune it. It's a great summer cocktail and not as syrupy-sweet as you might think given the ingredients.

2 parts Cachaca,
                              1 part simply syrup,
                              juice of half a lemon,
                              juice of half a lime,
                              3-4 basil leaves,
                              3-4 sliced strawberries.

Muddle all ingredients above. Shake with ice. Pour and top with soda.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                                Bourbon
                                Glass

Drink.
                                Hahaha! Nice. No effort whatsoever.
                                Don't be afraid of dressing up...please.

Comment

Working...
                                X