Upgrade iPhone 4s to 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade iPhone 4s to 6?

I realize phones are a personal matter and everyone has an opinion. But here goes.

I have an iPhone 4s. The phone does everything I need it to do, and aside from charging is every day or every day and a half, I have no problem with it.

Thing is, the phone is old tech. I've seen a 6 and the screen is noticeably better. So is battery life.

Hence my question. Is it worth upgrading to a 6, considering I'll have to pay $300 or so (I think) for a new phone? Or am I better off sticking with my 4s since I pretty much just it for podcasts anyway?

Cheers.

I always had issues with my older iPhones slowing down dramatically with iOS updates after 2-3 years. I'm with you, in that I don't upgrade just to have the newest, but it made a substantial difference in the speed of the phone / ease of use when I upgraded my 3G to a 5. I have a 6 now because my 5 was 'lost' at a bar (stolen, but that's a different story). Overall a pretty big fan, but I never owned a 4/4s to compare it with.

Comment

If its working for you now, then I'd personally stick with it until it no longer does what you need it to do. The 6 is bigger, faster, flashier, etc etc but at the end of the day its the same damn thing in a sleeker package. This coming from a former iPhone 5 user, current 6 owner. Also, wait a month since the 6S will undoubtable be released end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by M View Post
        Also, wait a month since the 6S will undoubtable be released end of September.
        This is what i came here to say. Even if you don't really care about whatever tech the new phone brings to the table, waiting should give you another year before obsolescence. I'm in a holding pattern with my 3 year old iPhone 5 for that very reason (although I will probably cross shop Samsung's latest too).

Comment

Thanks Gents.

The 4s is doing the trick now, so I'll probably wait a bit. I pretty much just use it for podcasts, instragram and texting (like everyone else I suppose) and the phone is fine for that at the moment. I will keep my eye out on the 6s though just to see what the fuss is about.

Comment

Reviving this thread to find out if anyone upgraded to the 6s and if so, what they think about it?

Also, did you buy the phone outright or stick to a contract?

Comment

My wife bought the 6 for $250 along with a two-year Verizon commitment.

Aside from being faster than my 4, the most notable difference is the camera. It is leaps and bounds better. Faster shutter speed, better resolution.

Comment

I just upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the 6s. The Verizon guy was like oh you're using a 4....(in a nice way though) I was like Yep never had one problem with it and it does everything I need it to do!

Obviously the phone/iOS is faster and more precise. The screen is much bigger and easier on the eyes, the clarity of it is way better than the 4. And the camera is the biggest plus I would say, it is SO much better than the 4, its not even close.

I was the same as you, but the 4 was getting to the point of not working well enough, it did everything it needed to do but SLOW and it would start freezing when I used Safari and other things, so I feel like it was worth it.

Comment

The 'S' variants are always the better bang for your buck with iPhones. The base number gets the form factor then the 'S' variant gets you a whole lot more. I read somewhere that when the iPhone 3GS came out, the 'S' was said to be for speed but then Apple dropped those claims. Also the 16GB phone is sort of in the worthless category currently due to it having very limited space.

As for buying outright or contract, if the price for the phone itself is the same as payments, you might as well take the "free interest" and do payments.

Comment

Excellent! You guys are doing a good job of convincing me to make the leap. Still it's a hard decision to make/do when my 4s does everything I need the phone to do. And unlike [MENTION=9116]Image of the Invisible[/MENTION], I am not having issues with the phone freezing when using Safari. But I do notice the slow web browsing. Not sure if that is the fault of the phone, or the network.

Comment

Well I succumbed to peer pressure and ditched my trust 4s for a 6s. Still getting used to the bigger screen but so far, so good. I mean what can I say? It's a phone. A phone I have yet to actually use as a phone. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        Well I succumbed to peer pressure and ditched my trust 4s for a 6s. Still getting used to the bigger screen but so far, so good. I mean what can I say? It's a phone. A phone I have yet to actually use as a phone. Go figure.
                        Nice. I just upgrade from a 5 to a 6s+ and I'm very happy with it. I went back and forth between whether or not to get the plus, but I'm a big guy with big hands, and in the end I figured if anyone can handle the plus, I can.

Comment

While I am not convinced that I'm better of with the 6s, I do like the bigger screen. As someone who now (thanks to age) needs glasses to read, the larger screen lets me get away without using glasses from time to time. And that's good news for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X