New To NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To NYC

I love Dappered, but I haven't been on the threads much. I just moved from California to the Bronx, though I work in Manhattan.

I'm curious for any suggestions on tailors and barbers in the city. I saw a thread from 2013 about tailors in NYC, but I wanted to check for any updated information. My clothes and my hair are things I'd rather not screw up often through trial-and-error, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The tailor I use is Mid City Tailoring on 44th between 5th and 6th. Kinda pricey but good.

I get my hair cut in Brooklyn (Tony at Blue & Black barber - he's a damn genius), but I can vouch for Fellow Barber on Horatio in Manhattan.

Comment

Thanks, this will be very helpful in my search, plus I've always lived by the adage: good tailors aren't cheap and cheap tailors aren't good.

Comment

Depends on your haircut for where you should go barber wise. I have a traditional-ish banker style (kept a little longer and parted/slicked back a little, but not full Bateman) and I go to Jasmin at John Allan's (the midtown one). Again, not cheap but pretty solid haircut.

Comment

I used to go to Mid City tailoring as well. The guy is nice and knows his stuff, but a little pricey. Mr. Winston will talk your ears off about stuff, but he has nice ties . Shop is mostly men altering suits and jackets from what I've seen. They do a good job, but the way you're measured and cut is more traditional. I'd go here if you had something you absolutely wanted it done right and were willing to pay for the extra. I think I paid like $50 just to get sleeves of a jacket shortened, so I wouldn't go there just for that.

I go to Alteration Expert near the Flatiron building since it's basically across the street from my place. Alex is the guy who does the measuring and he's pretty good and cheaper. Interesting character and it's more of a mix of women coming in to get alterations and guys with their suits. He basically rents those like shared office spaces and it can get kind of hectic since he's busy. He has a more modern taste to how he alters your stuff but he keeps it traditional for me on request. For example, Alex offered to trim the jacket length, because that is the current style and I politely refused.

Regarding barbers...I'm looking for a good one myself after 3 years in the city. I generally hate getting haircuts so I try to avoid them at all costs.

Comment

Awesome, both Mid City and Alteration Expert sound like great options. As for hair, I've had a business cut but have started slowly evolving it into a curtain cut, which I have started liking more as I've seen it around much more frequently nowadays. And with John Allan's smack dab in the heart of midtown, that sounds pretty good. Though, I just read some reviews of Fellow Barber, and I may try that, but with people saying they don't take reservations, that will be an interesting ride.

Thank you guys, although, feel free to add to the list if other places come up!
            Last edited by thrillhouse; July 22, 2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

He may be a bit out of your way, but Aureliano at West Village Tonsorial is excellent IMO.

Comment

I've had awesome experience with Premium Barber Shop on 52nd and 2nd. Sub $20 cut and I've been going to them for 3 years straight.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
                  I've had awesome experience with Premium Barber Shop on 52nd and 2nd. Sub $20 cut and I've been going to them for 3 years straight.
                  I used to go to them, but a bit of a hit and miss in my experience. The younger guy is always good however (cant remember his name).

Comment

Originally posted by denwhat View Post
                    I used to go to them, but a bit of a hit and miss in my experience. The younger guy is always good however (cant remember his name).
                    Dollar for dollar, I've struggled to find something remotely as good. Mind you my cut is pretty basic. 3 on the sides, tapered with about 2" length on top. Hard part. No experience with actual cuts beyond basic stuff though. I'm actually bummed I won't be as nearby when I move next week. Used to work at 47th & Madison and lived UES. Now I'm working at 38th & Broadway and moving downtown. So I'm curious to see what these other shops have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
                      Dollar for dollar, I've struggled to find something remotely as good. Mind you my cut is pretty basic. 3 on the sides, tapered with about 2" length on top. Hard part. No experience with actual cuts beyond basic stuff though. I'm actually bummed I won't be as nearby when I move next week. Used to work at 47th & Madison and lived UES. Now I'm working at 38th & Broadway and moving downtown. So I'm curious to see what these other shops have to offer.
                      Yeah I have to agree with you there. Feels like a lot of the "nice" NYC barber shops just charge a lot of a meh cut. Premium is at lest very reasonably priced and downright cheap in Manhattan.

I found a place near my parents in Forest Hills so I just go there every time I visit them. Its $12 for a perfect cut every time. Didn't mention them in my last post because its a bit of trek from Manhattan: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-barber-shop-forest-hills

Comment

Looks like a solid shop. Can't say I'm out in that particular area a whole lot, but definitely have to keep them in mind if I am.

Comment

Welcome to NYC. Didn't realize this is my first post, but I'll contribute by recommending Manny's Barbershop if you're willing to head down to the East Village.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mannys-barbershop-new-york

Comment

Working...
                          X