Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What'd you spend too much money and time on before clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duvel
    replied
    Records, stereo gear, and guitars. It used to be all about music.

Leave a comment:

• ronnewman
    replied
    I have had a number of expensive hobbies over the years, and clothing is just the most recent one. I had spent a number of years in studying martial arts at one point in my life. I spent thousands of dollars on training equipment, gear, and various seminars all over the country. It is still one of my favorite hobbies even though I don't train as often as I once did, but I still own all of the swords I gathered over the years.

I then moved onto shooting long bow. I spent thousands on bows, arrows, and shooting equipment over the years, as well. I haven't shot in years now, but that was an enjoyable hobby, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Furious Styles
    replied
    Like some of you, I was deep into import tuning/racing. I miss the friends I made back east in the Honda scene; we'd autocross, work on each other's cars, swap parts, all the usual stuff. Haven't found anything like that in the midwest, though I've seriously slowed down on car part buying. It's all about being Dappered these days. I kinda feel like it's more an adult thing to do, though I clearly remember auto-xing my old Miata against older guys with 911s and Vettes.

Leave a comment:

• Jrbrownie00
    replied
    I was and still am into cars, Volkswagens now but before that Hondas. I don't really like what the car "scene" has become as I've gotten older, so now I'm just a forum warrior. More money than I care to mention has been spent on that from car audio to bbs wheels...

Now I've moved onto cigars, motorcycles and golf primarily. Most of the money being spent on the motorcycle an 82' Kawasaki KZ750 that's being stripped and converted to something much cooler.

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Cars and guns and watches.

Leave a comment:

• hillcpa
    replied
    I used to spend all my money on guitars. Still do, but I finally got smart and started buying used. I know enough about what I'm doing now that I can always break even and sometimes make a buck when I flip one to get another.

Leave a comment:

• jonATL
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn
    Necro-quote, but I just saw this thread. Jon, I have a 52xxx alto just sitting in a case. Of course I'm endorsing Yanagisawa now so I don't really "need" it, but I have a lot of history with that horn so I can't bring myself to sell it.
    Of course you need it.

Leave a comment:

• dackman
    replied
    Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    Yeah, that would be great. One thing that I'm discovering is that I am glad I've kept all my records in spite of the phases I go through. Right now I'm rediscovering post-rock stuff like Godspeed You! and even more recent ambient stuff like Boards of Canada, and so I'm going into the record room and not only pulling those off the shelf but others that I see and think, Oh, yeah, haven't heard that in a while. I listened to so much of it in the 2000s that I got sick of it and kind of went the other direction into traditional things like old jazz and classic or 90s rock. It's nice to be able to have a collection that's big enough to let you switch gears like that.
    Godspeed is good stuff, saw them in Cleveland about 10 years ago. I've heard that Mogwai are touring their new album in the states this year, definitely will have to make my one concert per year quota for that one.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    That thing is old as the hills too, circa early 80s, and it is still going strong. I think they just made all this stuff better before around 1985 or so.
    yes. this.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Yeah, that would be great. One thing that I'm discovering is that I am glad I've kept all my records in spite of the phases I go through. Right now I'm rediscovering post-rock stuff like Godspeed You! and even more recent ambient stuff like Boards of Canada, and so I'm going into the record room and not only pulling those off the shelf but others that I see and think, Oh, yeah, haven't heard that in a while. I listened to so much of it in the 2000s that I got sick of it and kind of went the other direction into traditional things like old jazz and classic or 90s rock. It's nice to be able to have a collection that's big enough to let you switch gears like that.

Leave a comment:

• dackman
    replied
    Bought an all new shelving system for my records in my home office a little over a year ago. Completely re-arranged/re-organized, had everything setup perfectly. Then my son was born and now you can now see the layer of dust on my music collection. My daughter always says, "Daddy, why do you have so many songs?" It really makes me look forward to the day when I can share my music collection with my kids though. "Kids, tonight we listen to the entire collection of Peel Sessions."

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    I would be lost without my Technics 1200 table. And I'm still a tape nerd--I make a cassette copy of almost every LP I listen to, via my Yamaha K-900. That thing is old as the hills too, circa early 80s, and it is still going strong. I think they just made all this stuff better before around 1985 or so.

Leave a comment:

• dackman
    replied
    How did I not see this thread before?

Comics, records and DVD/Blu-Rays.

Still reading comics, just not hitting the local shop on Wednesdays for new releases. Have finally succumbed to the library for just reading and Amazon for cheap trade paperbacks.

We have some great record shops in Columbus, but with little ones rip roaring through the house, most of my music is listened to mainly at work and in the car. Just can't find the time to sit down to the turntable and just listen like I used to...someday. Columbus has one of the best library systems in the country, and with my wife being a librarian I have no trouble getting any new or old music that I want to listen too, even the obscure stuff.

With streaming services / Amazon / iTunes I've really found no need to purchase movies anymore. Granted there are the essentials (looking at you Scorcese and The Wire) that must be owned, but everything else is just a click away.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    Originally posted by greg_s View Post
    @ Bulldoggery, "There's far more variety out there than just palate-searing piney/floral/citric hop bombs." This. 1000x this. Amen.

Also, "the New York Giants (long story, but I've loved them all my life)." I'm sorry haha

Have you ever had the Trappist Westvleteren 12? A friend's dad has it, I've never personally seen it. Outside of that, I'm sure you've had them, but the Rochefort series (6,8,10) are excellent. Rochefort 10 is an experience in itself.
    I actually have 1 bottle of Westvleteren12 left in my cellar as well. I got 2 from a random beeradvocate member while traveling in Ireland last year. I opened the first one just couple months ago to do a side-by-side Westy12 vs Rochefort 10 taste test. Rochefort10 has been my favorite beer for a long time, and I actually think I still prefer it over the Westvleteren. Will look forward to opening the second bottle in some years though.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    In college:

Car audio (placed 3rd in local competition. 1st and 2nd had "cheater" amps)

After:

Home audio / video (I had HD before people knew what HD was.)

Building/fixing/collecting arcade machines (Had 13 at one point. Now just 1.)

And I've always built/fixed computers. Most recent project is a hackintosh server with 5TB of space for home network backups.
    Hey Alan, if by chance you still check this thread, I'm reviving your old post. Were you into SQ or SPL?

I was really into car audio during and after college. Didn't spend tons of money on it, but I spent a lot of time on it, tweaking and tuning stuff. I've gotten out of it, but do still enjoy a good sounding audio system (home or car). I've pieced together a decent sounding, budget home audio system. Other than that, I enjoy photography and have spent a good amount of money on camera gear. I've found lately that I use my SLR very infrequently and have almost switched to just using my iPhone for photos, since I always have it on-hand.
    Last edited by drocpsu; November 26, 2013, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X