Post workout drinks/food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post workout drinks/food

Folks, what do you eat/drink after your finished your workout?

I went for a 15k run this morning and was gassed when I finished. The only thing at the club at that hour was a vending machine with GatorAid or PowerAid. Not really sure I wanted a big bottle of sugar at that point.

What can you recommend and how quickly do you ingest it after your workout? Cheers.

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

I went for a 15k run this morning and was gassed when I finished. The only thing at the club at that hour was a vending machine with GatorAid or PowerAid. Not really sure I wanted a big bottle of sugar at that point.

What can you recommend and how quickly do you ingest it after your workout? Cheers.
    I drink beer right away.

i should probably note that I am not in the greatest shape.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

Honestly simple sugar is the best thing you can ingest after a rigorous workout. Glycogen restoration.

The Doc says- http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...ohydrates.html

Comment

Protein shake immediately after (when lifting, not running). 30 minutes later as I am on my way to the office a giant mug of coffee and a smoke.

Comment

I can't find the study but Gatorade does help inter-workout during an extended strenuous workout. Simple carbs/sugar replenish the glycogen reserves in your body. Look at the packs marathon runners uses. Basically sugars and sodium.

For a quick run or a round of golf does nothing buy spike insulin and turn to fat.

Post run I have water. Lifting I have a protein shake with almond milk( unsweetened or water). Some people are into the post lifting carbs and it's something I just haven't really studied up much like waxy maize in the shakes.

Comment

Depending on the distance I run, I will have had plain water or some sort of gatorade type item during the run. After it is usually a protein smoothie when I get home as I usually drive to the place where I run longer distances. My smoothies are whey protein, banana, blueberries, milk, some peanut butter.

My math skills have 15K at 9.3 miles which depending on when/where I run that far I would have had some sort of sugar during that to keep the energy up.

Comment

Back when I was trying to become a pro cyclist (and before I sold out and became a lawyer), I always drank chocolate milk after training.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...-farah-runners

I have no idea how well the science holds up, but I'm always happy to consume more sugar.

Comment

Usually a protein shake with creatine and some measure of carbs. If it's a glycogen-depleting workout (longer duration, involving cardio, not just weights), I'll have more carbs than if it's a short one. Right now I'm trying the 2:1:1 from Optimum Nutrition, which has 35g carbs, 17g protein in one scoop. Usually my crossfit workouts are fairly taxing, so I'll do between 1.5-2 scoops. I'm trying to lose 5 more pounds, so I'm keeping most of my carbs in my post-workout shake and then meal.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                  Back when I was trying to become a pro cyclist (and before I sold out and became a lawyer), I always drank chocolate milk after training.
                  Yeah the whole lactose thing with milk won't work for me, although I do hear that chocolate milk is the way to go.

I am leaning towards a protein shake with almond milk and some frozen fruit. I just need something that will give me some energy back and and not be full of sugars/etc that will put the fat that I just tried to burn off, back on.

Comment

I'd go with a zero carb BCAA drink, if fasted, until you're ready to eat. I don't do much running, but after lifting fasted, I take a close to zero carb postworkout powder with BCAAs, and then eat about thirty minutes to an hour after. I don't like to spike the insulin until I feel my body is ready to take in food, or I have time to (usually lift in the morning right before work, so lift, postWO shake, shower, go to work, break fast).

Also, my post workout go to meal for a while was Peruvian quarter chicken with yucca with a diet soda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                      Protein shake immediately after (when lifting, not running). 30 minutes later as I am on my way to the office a giant mug of coffee and a smoke.
                      This minus the smoke. Regardless of whether running or lifting, you'll want protein to feed your muscles. I use almond milk in my shakes (not lactose intol, but just prefer it).

Obviously doing a protein rich meal is preferred (for ex, eggs would be great), but isn't always realistic.

Comment

Depends on the activity, though "anabolic windows" regarding protein intake post-resistance training are a myth (the idea that you have to take in protein within 30-45 minutes after working out. What you need to be more concerned about is on a macronutrient intake throughout the day. But, after a 9-10 mile run? You should have just drank that Gatorade/Powerade. Your body would have thanked you. Then fit in a real meal sometime after whenever you had the chance.

Comment

anabolic window is such a myth. Total protein is much more important than timing.

Comment

Agree that the window is a myth, but I'm hungry right after the gym (I go in the mornings and don't eat before) and I personally believe that people (and I know of my diet personally) don't get as much protein as they should. So do you "need" the shake right then? No, but it's quick and easy to do while I'm cooling down, and keeps me satiated for a bit until I eat some real food.

Comment

The anabolic window isn't exactly a myth, as total macronutrient count is ultimately most important, but there are clear advantages to timing carbohydrate consumption around workouts. Plus, carbs help your body make use of the protein in whatever you're having after said workout.

Check this out for a much better explanation (I feel like I'm crossing streams with the "What podcasts are you listening to?" thread) from guys who basically do this for a living: http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/the...z-episode-178/

Comment

Working...
                              X