Making/tailoring your own clothes and accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making/tailoring your own clothes and accessories

Does anybody here dabble in sewing/tailoring for their clothes and other products (eg bags, dopp kits, etc)? I've been in the market lately for a messenger bag and a laptop sleeve, and haven't found anything that met all of my criteria thus far. Combine that with some shirts in desperate need of tailoring and my own love of all things DIY, and I'm starting to get the urge to just try making the goods myself. It seems like a sewing machine, some fabric, and a lot of patience should be enough to at least get started.

Has anybody else thought about going down this avenue before, or actually tried doing it? If so, any advice, warnings, suggestions, etc?

I've thought about making some of my own bags and things, but never tried it. I'm thinking of trying it this summer but don't quite know how to get started.

Comment

I tailor my own clothes. Suits and stuff like that I will bring to a tailor if I think its worth it. I willl likely start making my own clothes this winter when i have some time.

I only have a sewing machine and serger to finish edges.

Comment

You might be interested in these posts at Put This On from a few months ago:

http://putthison.com/post/1098876819...part-one-every

http://putthison.com/post/1100781723...othes-part-two

Dan over at Articles of Style keeps threatening to do a DIY article, too, but as far as I know it's never happened.

Comment

It's a slow process. Learning to sew can take years. Honing your skills takes a lot of time. Making serious projects, which will quite frankly come out quite poorly at the begining, cost more than buying a mass-market sort of garment at macys.

when you can make invisible repairs, and clever alterations, it's an invaluable skill.

my advice if you're crafty, is to borrow a friends sewing machine for a couple weeks and see if you have any aptitude for it. A great deal of enthusiastic people seem to not.

Comment

I have. I tailored mostly jeans like hemming and making them fit skinny. I also did chinos and turned chinos into shorts. I tried doing suit jackets and blazers but it's time consuming. You need a lot of patience and a lot of time which I don't have anymore. I just followed instructions on YouTube. There's tons of videos explaining you in detail what to do.

Comment

Dont you think having sewing machine is good enough
              Eat what is good for your health but
              Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Originally posted by fiftyforfifty View Post
                Dont you think having sewing machine is good enough
                what?

Comment

i meant if you want to start tailoring your own cloths and you know how to use sewing machine
                  Eat what is good for your health but
                  Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Working...
                  X