Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What stands behind your choice to look good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What stands behind your choice to look good?

Guys, could you explain me, what actually stands behind your choice to look good?
    Is it a confirmation of any status? Is it a kind of self-expression? Is it an ambition to be better than the others? I would like to know more about it.

Mainly, I like like it. Although, I don't think that I choose to look good, but rather try to dress well and be well groomed. I also like that other people like it, especially my fiancé. I don't think many people dress well out of ambition, although success in style can lead to arrogance just like success in anything. Most of the time I just want to look good/normal, although I do like to wear things that are fun and interesting as well.

Comment

Self expression and a desire to not start the slow descent into giving up. Now in my late 40s this is a time when a lot of my peers starting becoming old men and stop caring about how they look. Not ready yet.

Comment

Generally speaking, you look good and people treat you better than if you don't look good.

Comment

Self expression, good for my self esteem, sense of control in my life at times. I don't ever think about trying to look better than others. I do notice it but it's not intentional, I think if I ever reach that point I'll probably detox myself from the narcissism and obsession with looks and products by walking around in a velvet tracksuit for a while. Seriously.
          Last edited by LosRockets; May 12, 2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

In general, dressing well makes me feel better about myself. It's become a hobby for me. I enjoy the pursuit, the anticipation, then finally wearing whatever it is and getting a compliment (should I be lucky enough.) My favorite is when my friends significant others say "i wish _____ wore things like that"

Comment

"Dressing well is a form of good manners." - Tom Ford
              For me it shows respect for the people you are with and the situations you are in - such as family functions or work.
              Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

For me it ties back to the lessons I learned from getting in shape. I started working out in May 2009. Within a couple of years I was REALLY fit, and gained a lot of confidence. For the first time in my life, I could tell women were looking at me and liking what they saw. That's a big change after nearly 40 years of living the other way. It was so dramatic that it couldn't be ignored, and other areas of life showed significant "easing" as well. I got the benefit of the doubt more places and with more people simple because I looked good in whatever I happened to be wearing.

I figured out that the next step was probably to address what I was wearing.

Life is hard enough. We all go through hardship, we all endure trials and have to scratch our way through. It only makes sense to make that process as easy on ourselves as we can, even if it leads to a path that takes advantage of our nature as people. The funny part is that it's hard work to take this other path. It's hard work to lift weights and eat right, and it's hard to figure out how to dress better after a half a lifetime of not...but I'm going to have to work hard anyway, at a different selection of things that I don't enjoy as much as lifting often and dressing well. Might as well do what I like a little better and reap the benefit of human nature.

There's also the fact that I can't control the future. I'm happily married and faithful, yet tomorrow something might take my love away from me. If it comes to that, you can be sure I want to land the best woman I can; attractiveness is a big part of gaining her interest. Being able to care for my body and dress myself appropriately is a signal to my wife that I value her affection and attraction, and a signal to some future unknown that I'll take care of myself and feel similarly for her.

Dressing well (but not overbearing) has a similar effect to the confidence gained from exercising regularly. Knowing you are situationally appropriate goes a long way toward wiping out any fears you might have of a given social setting. As a life long introvert that matters a lot.

Comment

I've always viewed clothes as a means of self-expression, even as a young child. The difference is, as an adult, my self-expression intersects with what is considered classic style for a man. Whereas, in seventh grade, it intersected with a purple varsity jacket I got at the Nike outlet and a pair of jeans my dad used to paint in.

Comment

I've always enjoyed clothes and dressing well, but I've been overweight since my mid-30s. I'm now 53. About a year and a half ago, I just decided that I'd had enough. I had been working out for a couple of years, but was till too big at 6'3 261. I got my diet under control and now I'm down to about 201 and feel great. I also feel like I look good in clothes for the first time in a long time.

I've had to buy an entirely new wardrobe, which has been both a blessing and a curse. My work (lawyer) involves suit and tie on a fairly regular basis. It's been so nice to buy suits with slim fit flat front pants that actually fit. I'm enjoying buying clothes and dressing well like never before. It's a wallet drainer, but it's been great. This site has been a great help with finding deals, and that's much appreciated.

So, call it a mid-life crisis, or call it self improvement, I'm proud of what I've done and dressing like a well put together man feels great. My wife has certainly noticed and she likes it too. She's been the love of my life for 31 years. I think I can take a bit of time to look good for her. The feeling of satisfaction for me is just a bonus.

Comment

Simply put I like to look nice. I enjoy spending time in the morning trying to figure out a different outfit than what I wore the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                        "Dressing well is a form of good manners." - Tom Ford
                        For me it shows respect for the people you are with and the situations you are in - such as family functions or work.
                        I like this, and it's probably the closest thing to why I dress the way I do. I can't really say I see it as "self expression", but more a way to show that I care. Care about the responsibilities I have in life (husband, parent, employee, etc.) and that I care about the people in my life. For example, I care a lot about my wife, and I think I owe it to her not to give up on things like physical health and appearance or making a continued effort to pursue her romantically. It all ties together in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X