Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied

That's a long way to travel! I hope you at least got to see a football game.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I had an Internet girlfriend in College Station that I visited once. The visit ended it pretty tidily.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I started at A&M and finished at a tu branch in south Texas (closer to home). The school I graduated from doesn't have a football program, though, and my whole family is Aggies so I associate most with them. I lived on campus for both years so I'm as familiar with A&M as any graduate of the fine school in College Station, TX.

I'm currently getting an MBA at SMU so I claim them, too. It's nice not to have to travel to football games even though the atmosphere isn't nearly as exciting as Kyle Field.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Dean
    replied

Wait, Alan's an Aggie? Me too! But I've lived in Austin since I graduated and love it. Since I was going to stay in state, it was pretty easy to pick Austin, (though I like the low-key-ness of San Antonio, too.)

The biggest knock on Austin is it's pretention. It's hard for me to see sometimes since I live here, but I know the rest of the state roll's its eyes at us sometimes. Austin thinks it's Portland or Seattle, but it's not. However, it looks like it next to Dallas and Houston. The yuppies and hipsters don't help matters.

Even so, there's a ton to like about this town, and people should check it out. (Avoid the 100 degree season, AKA May-August.)

Leave a comment:

• pdx_nate
    replied

I would easily trade Texas for Canada, or even just British Columbia for that matter, if I had the power.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Austin is to Texas as Athens is to Georgia... i.e. it's a really cool place but not really a part of the state it's located in

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

Oh agreed. Biggest issue = no East/West roads that are sizable. A few N-S, but even those are over-congested.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

The problem with Austin traffic is that there's no excuse for a city of that size to have traffic that bad. It's really not that big of a place.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

@Alan -- I think you can delete "Austin" and substitute Dallas, Houston... or really any city. But yes, Austin's traffic flow isn't very ideal... the city has grown larger than it's roads anticipated, unfortunately.

EDIT: I wanted to note that I'm purposefully ignoring BenR's comment, as it's simply an indefensible position.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@BenR, I had the same reservations about TX. And I've been to some parts that aren't so great, but Austin is a laid back, active, liberal city that loves music and beer.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

No offense, BenR. You're obviously just uninformed.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

...what about those of us who just don't care for Texas?

*runs away*

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Austin traffic sucks. :-P

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

The only people who don't like Austin are certain A&M kids (sorry Alan) who hate it just because it's home to UT. Otherwise, there are 2 kinds of people (1) people who love Austin, and (2) people who have heard it's great, but have yet to go.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Thank you for all of the recommendations fellas. Just got back earlier this afternoon from a fantastic 6 days in Austin. If anyone on earth doesn't like that city, they did something wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X