Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied

Also, take shoes you can walk in. Once you're on foot around downtown or the UT campus, there will be plenty of walking.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I'm a lifelong Texan, but I don't spend a lot of time in Austin. However, there are still some things I like to do in the surrounding area.

If the Guadalupe or Comal rivers are warm enough and high enough (or even if they aren't but enough people are going), tubing is a favorite pass time. It's like a big floating party with lots of alcohol involved. These rivers are between Austin and San Antonio (not far). I'm sure your friend is familiar.

The downtown bar scene is HUGE. 6th Street is popular with the college crowd, and 5th street is more popular with the late-20's/30's crowd. I'm not useful for individual suggestions, but it's just bar after bar down there. I'm sure your friend knows some spots. I'm not sure how up to date it is, but I found this guide to give you an idea of how many there are.

Every famous country singer at some point or another has made their way through Gruene Hall in Gruene, TX. Like tubing, it's between Austin and San Antonio. In fact, the place is practically ON the river. You could hit up both in a single trip. It's a small unassuming place, but it's full of history, and when you're there, you really feel the heritage. They have a revolving schedule of mostly local acts, and it's a nice way to decompress. Next door is a restaurant called the Gristmill which is FANTASTIC!

... and this wouldn't be a proper Dappered post without mentioning the outlet malls! They have Tanger and Premium in San Marcos (south of Austin) and another Premium in Round Rock (north of Austin). I think Round Rock is newer, but the Premium in San Marcos is a monster. Both have high-end names (and they don't necessarily overlap) so you'll have to research where you want to go.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    started a topic Things not to miss in Austin, TX?

Things not to miss in Austin, TX?

I am heading to Austin for spring break to visit a friend. SXSW is going on at the time so I'm sure it will be plenty busy with a ton of things to do.

Is anyone here really familiar with Austin that has any insight into what not to miss? We plan on drinking a lot of beer as there are many breweries. I know that much. They know their way around pretty well, but I want to make sure I don't miss something great.

Thanks!

Working...
X