How'd you meet your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How'd you meet your SO?

Based on the responses over in the Styles forum about the style/dress of your spouse, I thought I'd ask how everyone met their significant other (SO).

In my case I met her through a running group. Nothing says successful relationship like seeing your future GF all hot and sweaty on a running track. Well that and common interests that is.

We met at a political fundraiser. She was wearing a dress similar in cut to Ms. Vergera's from the other SO thread, though not quite as revealing. I was in a rental tux. Guess who looked better? This was before my Dappered days, obviously. She still has that dress. Ah, good times. Good times.

Comment

Tinder.

Comment

High school chemistry. We were lab partners. Then I jumped out through the window of a moving car to try and impress her. Guess it worked.

Comment

Grad school. I say it was on the dance floor of a bar there where my Canadian friend decided to dance with the French exchange student instead of my wife leaving me to sweep in and show off my sweet moves. Only after moving across the country from each other did we decide to start dating.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
            Tinder.
            Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
              Wow.
              Welcome to the 21st century. Dating apps -- at least if you're in urban areas -- aren't just hook up apps.

Comment

To each his own.. seems like a creepy hook up app to me

Comment

To each his own.. seems like a creepy hook up app to me
                  Have you ever tried it?

Comment

Negative

Comment

Negative
                      My experience with Tinder was the same with most other dating venues: There are some folks looking to meet someone new and interesting. There are some folks bored and looking for conversation. And there are some folks looking for nothing more than fun times sans pants.

Same could be said for most bars, parties, blind dates, stripclubs, and church-sponsored singles meetings.

Comment

I met my fiancée senior year of undergrad. A mutual friend asked to use the bathroom that was attached to my room during a fraternity party at my house to avoid a line. I agreed. When she was leaving she asked if her friend could use it too. Wanting to lock my door and get back to the party I hastily said no. Her friend (my fiancée) squeezed by me and her and into my bathroom. We are getting married on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
                          My experience with Tinder was the same with most other dating venues: There are some folks looking to meet someone new and interesting. There are some folks bored and looking for conversation. And there are some folks looking for nothing more than fun times sans pants.

Same could be said for most bars, parties, blind dates, stripclubs, and church-sponsored singles meetings.
                          +1. You make it what you want. That being said, from personal experience and hearing from friends, apps other than Tinder (e.g., Hinge, Happn, OKCupid, Match) seem to be a little better at narrowing the pool with better candidates and being more 'serious'. But I still browse Tinder when I'm bored -- it's a pretty fun/amusing pastime.

Comment

I think Tinder (et al.) seems creepy to those of us who left the market before it because when we were on the market, the serious efficiencies offered by people-matching technologies were completely offset by the unfortunateness of the early adopters. I.E. I totally buy the claims that people who use these various technological solutions for finding partners get "higher quality" matches, in terms of raw compatibility. That's easy to imagine, if you think about the relative numbers (Granted, the quality of each potential match evaluation is necessarily limited). However, the first users of each of these new technologies were, at least when I was younger / dating, kinda creepy. They were mostly people who had tried and failed with traditional methods at some length. As a result, your optimal match in that pool had a good chance of being worse than your approximate best match in a much smaller, but less problematic pool.

All this is to say that while dating apps seem creepy to me, it's because of how old I am.

I met my wife in grad school - her roommate and I were part of a study group for comprehensive exams. Study group didn't go so well, but I've got no regrets.

Comment

My SO owns a local dog training/boarding/kennel business. I initially met her because I took one of her puppy classes to socialize my schnauzer puppy, Freddie. I thought she was cute and a badass in class but didn't really think anything of it. Then I started bumping into her all the time - she is best friends with, and house-sits for, my next door neighbor. I eventually schemed my way into a date (because, as an introvert, just asking would have been way too simple and straightforward). That was a few months ago, and we've seen each other daily since.
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X