Salary negotiations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shade View Post
    My .02 is that you should never stay at a position you consider "soul-crushing" especially when there is another position being offered for more money. <snip> I dont want to be best friends and hang out with my co-workers either. That is just me though. I never mix business with my personal life. Ever.
    Well said. Years ago I was working at a job that I wasn't 100% happy with. The pay was decent as were the benefits but my heart just wasn't in it. I half-assed applied on another job thinking I'd leave but when push came to shove I opted for the security aspect of things and stayed with what I knew. What a mistake that was. Once I realized there was life outside of the current job my interest really tailed off. The lesson for me was if my mind has left to another job, the rest of me might as well follow.

Oh, and I'm in agreement with ya on the best friends at work thing. I like to keep the two separate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Well said. Years ago I was working at a job that I wasn't 100% happy with. The pay was decent as were the benefits but my heart just wasn't in it. I half-assed applied on another job thinking I'd leave but when push came to shove I opted for the security aspect of things and stayed with what I knew. What a mistake that was. Once I realized there was life outside of the current job my interest really tailed off. The lesson for me was if my mind has left to another job, the rest of me might as well follow.

Oh, and I'm in agreement with ya on the best friends at work thing. I like to keep the two separate as well.
      I am very happy that you actually made it out. Some people get stuck for their entire careers and it really takes a toll on them, in many different ways (health, relationships, marriage, etc.) Life is too short for that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        I've had a very different experience. I work in a place that is VERY structured, civil services basically guarantee that as long as I do my job that I'm guaranteed to have a job. So, I don't constantly have the fear of losing my job.

As far as friends at work, two of my better friends in life (because of work) are both of my bosses. We all have so much in common. We've planned hunting and fishing trips, drank together, and generally have great converstaion about current events, sports, life, and our field. What I do, specifically, will never be written about or have a movie made about, but it's important and someone HAS to do it. I love it, and it's fufilling knowing that what I do keeps us going.

Comment

Working...
        X