Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPS transfering package to 'USPS' for the last leg of delivery to my home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPS transfering package to 'USPS' for the last leg of delivery to my home.

I live in the United States. UPS delivers packages directly to my home all the time. However, when I order from Lands End (free delivery option), the delivery method is different. Once UPS delivers the package to my township, they then transfer the package to USPS who then delivers it to my home. Anyone know why they do this? I suppose that Lands End requests this 'last mile' delivery, probably saves them fuel/delivery driver costs? Anyone else experience this?

It's a different service offered by UPS, a cheaper one. Fedex has a similar thing. They have special names but I'm blanking on them at the moment. The private carrier will pick the package up and do most of the transporting, but they will drop it off at the local post office instead of actually delivering it. USPS will deliver it to you.

It's cheaper overall, because it saves the private carrier the cost of delivery. Your USPS mail carrier is swinging by your house no matter what, and UPS/Fedex have got long-haul carriers going across the country no matter what, but the UPS or Fedex driver aren't going to visit your house unless they actually need to.

Ben

Comment

SmartPost.

I live in the city and have UPS, FedEx, & USPS in my neighborhood every day. A friend of mine living in Golden, Colorado, says he gets UPS deliveries to his house but has to go to the Post Office to pick-up parcels. Probably a lot of geographic variation based on density.

Another quirky delivery option is Amazon's Free Super Saver Shipping. It will be in stock, but it might take several days before it ships. My understanding is that they are building up a pallet of boxes in their warehouse for your zip code before shipping it to save money.

With shipping in general, the margins for the carriers are getting super slim as contracts with companies like Amazon get enormous. We'll probably continue to see them try new ways to cut shipping costs since no one wants to pay for it. Well, except for the ad agencies that overnight a roll of toilet paper to my wife as part of their "blogger outreach".

Comment

I recently received a package like this. It makes smart business sense to me. Plus the USPS could use every revenue stream that it can get right now.

Comment

This has happened for me before. It is an agreement that a private carrier like UPS makes with sellers that arranges for the private carrier to take the package from warehouse to USPS. I have had a package go from the warehouse in that city to that same city's USPS and I have also had a package go from warehouse all the way to my own city's USPS. They basically just do the cheapest way for them to get it to USPS who will get it to your house.

Comment

Not sure why they bother with UPS at all... USPS is cheaper and does a great job, IMO

Comment

If you order from Express they do this through FedEx. Its Ok with me, because the post office is quick to get it on the truck even if they only get it a few minutes before the truck goes out.

Comment

Jason, I agree. UPS is awful.

Comment

I don't mind at all. Especially living in an apartment, USPS puts their packages in a lockbox that I can access anytime. UPS/FedEx leaves them at the front office which has inconvenient hours.

Comment

Working...
                  X