Median Income by States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Median Income by States

I recently read this article at one of Gawker's websites, Lifehacker.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-s...ium=socialflow

I've gotta tell ya... don't believe it. At least on social media, it has gained some momentum. I did some research on the group conducting the study, they have a history of skewing numbers, blatantly making up numbers, and have alternative political agendas. Pew Charitable Trusts is mostly a decent financial news outlet that pays third parties for their work. However their main article doesn't explore the fact that people making those incomes have mortgages, debts, and bills, and it excludes state-taxes. In other words, it's a poorly researched and written [IMO].

However, despite being from my home, the Republic of Texas, Kristin Wong has no formal education in financial investments or finances in general. Her work and education mainly deal with filmography and the cinema. If you follow her on Lifehacker or other Gawker outlets, she does have some great pieces on "Why your fake laugh isn't fooling anyone" and "Infogrpahics Show How Long It Takes to Binge-Watch 81 Different Shows"

If you're taking her serious about financial information, just do so knowing she knows as much about money as your bank teller (Secret: not that much), maybe a slightly more.

To be fair, the only work the author did on this article was to copy, paste, reword, and provide a link to the Business Insider article.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
      To be fair, the only work the author did on this article was to copy, paste, reword, and provide a link to the Business Insider article.
      I see your point, but I think you may have missed mine. The article itself is flawed => the flawed article was re-posted by an unqualified author => now I feel like I'm browsing reddit

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
        I see your point, but I think you may have missed mine. The article itself is flawed => the flawed article was re-posted by an unqualified author => now I feel like I'm browsing reddit
        So you have to be qualified to be told by an editor to repost an article?

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
          So you have to be qualified to be told by an editor to repost an article?
          ... that's not exactly how Gawker works. Once employed by Gawker, you submit your writings, reposts, and blogs. Gawker editors suggest changes and only approve or disapprove articles for their network. It's not like BuzzFeed where employee makes something original, the editors say "I saw this at Dappered, add it in because I like it." now the work is no longer originally the writers.

Oh I get you're point. Everybody's got a boss.

Comment

I'm not sure about the point of your post.

The range shown is based on medium HHI per state, which is an easy number to collect. Whether or not that number truly makes you feel middle class depends on your situation, but that's not the objective of the article.

I read LifeHacker and 2 Cents frequently, along with Deadspin, Jalopnik, Vitals and Adequate Man from the Gawker family. For the style of articles they have, Kristen does good work. Is her research going to put her in contention for a Nobel Prize? Far from it. However, she's a financial enthusiast that's trying to learn more to improve her own situation everyday, and help others along the way. As long as they put out content that gets people talking about finance, I'm okay with it.

Comment

The thing is; historically middle class has been a social, not economic classification. You can't say that someone who makes a $1 more than someone else puts them in another social status. Plus, states themselves are widely diverse.

Business Insider once said short suits were mainstream. That is all I have to say about them.

Comment

Well it feels good to be above middle class median income for my state.

I'm going to sizzler to celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
                  I'm not sure about the point of your post.

The range shown is based on medium HHI per state, which is an easy number to collect. Whether or not that number truly makes you feel middle class depends on your situation, but that's not the objective of the article.

I read LifeHacker and 2 Cents frequently, along with Deadspin, Jalopnik, Vitals and Adequate Man from the Gawker family. For the style of articles they have, Kristen does good work. Is her research going to put her in contention for a Nobel Prize? Far from it. However, she's a financial enthusiast that's trying to learn more to improve her own situation everyday, and help others along the way. As long as they put out content that gets people talking about finance, I'm okay with it.
                  My whole point was basically, don't follow the blogs blindly. She does indeed do good work, but I don't fully trust her financial posts. Some of them are very useful though, like the "Calculate Your Appliances... Cost"

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                    Well it feels good to be above middle class median income for my state.

I'm going to sizzler to celebrate!
                    how do i upvote this for enthusiasm?! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                      My whole point was basically, don't follow the blogs blindly. She does indeed do good work, but I don't fully trust her financial posts. Some of them are very useful though, like the "Calculate Your Appliances... Cost"
                      That's fair. I don't think you should follow anyone with blind faith, let alone a blog writer.

To me, the true value Lifehacker/Two Cents' financial posts are they get the conversation started for people that aren't into finance or ignore it because they fear the unknown. The ideas shared by their team are basic enough that anyone can embrace them, and hopefully make people more aware of their own situation.

PS: I'm an MBA grad that really wished there were sites that dove deeper into financial analysis without sounding like academic papers. I sadly don't think there is a strong enough market for that middle ground between basic blogs and full analytics.

Comment

Maybe you should! I'd read it.

Comment

The sites with better financial analysis are usually premium/pay-for sites so you either pay or get Seeking Alpha level financial analysis. Part of my job is reading Equity Analyst reports that affect our stock price. Even with their in-depth financial analysis, a lot of times stock price is driven by news.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                            The sites with better financial analysis are usually premium/pay-for sites so you either pay or get Seeking Alpha level financial analysis. Part of my job is reading Equity Analyst reports that affect our stock price. Even with their in-depth financial analysis, a lot of times stock price is driven by news.
                            I am on the same side as [MENTION=3767]wsupjs[/MENTION], in that I would read these options as well. That said, if I were actually writing the information I would want to get paid for it too. I do not mind pro-bono for charity/education, but everyone else needs to pay me for my time.

Comment

Working...
                            X