Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about going minimal.

I am in an existential mood.

I am thinking about putting a massive for sale thread together with my suits, blazers, ties, dress shoes, and shirts/sweaters. And blowing out my watch collection for all but two.

I looked at my closets, yes plural, and thought holy crap I have a lot of stuff. Not junk either I don't wanna think about the money I've spent that just sits. Granted I've been frugal and thrifty but still it's a lot of money.

Really I need two white shirts, two suits, one or two blazers, five ties and two dress shoes. I wear all casual clothing, which I also am going through.

Has anyone else had these thoughts just to blow up your wardrobe and go minimal?

I'll give you $500 for your Speedy
    Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Comment

I envy people that go minimal. I really like shoes but don't need anymore. Every time I think about buying something I should just use that money and pay down our mortgage. New shoes? $150 to mortgage. Sport coat? $300 if not more to mortgage.

Comment

I did this recently, but it wasn't a blow up the wardrobe so much as "blow up the ambitions for the wardrobe." I finally realized that there was no reason for me to work toward "dashing" when all I really need to convey is "professional."* After switching attitudes, I also realized that decision fatigue is very much a real thing for me and that it's lovely to alleviate it somewhat.

* Married with kids, young attorney at conservative law firm. Aiming for "dashing" was probably sending the completely wrong signals, truth be told.

Comment

I'm 100% in the same boat. I have a ton of dress shirts and ties because I like choice, but with work being 100% casual (machine shop) I rarely even use them, even though I do love wearing a suit, the opportunity just doesn't present itself that often.

Same with shoes, I have a lot of different pairs that I like to wear, and I do cycle them out fairly well.. though I'd be lying if I said there wasn't fat to trim. Definitely is. Sweaters I rarely wear, especially pullovers, those should get donated.

My big problem though, is tees. Tons and tons of tees, mostly just plain v-necks. Hard for me to whittle those down, but it needs to happen soon. Wish I could give you a better plan layout than that!

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
            I am in an existential mood.

I am thinking about putting a massive for sale thread together with my suits, blazers, ties, dress shoes, and shirts/sweaters. And blowing out my watch collection for all but two.

I looked at my closets, yes plural, and thought holy crap I have a lot of stuff. Not junk either I don't wanna think about the money I've spent that just sits. Granted I've been frugal and thrifty but still it's a lot of money.

Really I need two white shirts, two suits, one or two blazers, five ties and two dress shoes. I wear all casual clothing, which I also am going through.

Has anyone else had these thoughts just to blow up your wardrobe and go minimal?

Join the club.

It takes some time to get there, especially if you have nice stuff you want to sell rather than donate. However, it's a great feeling when you finally start getting close to your goal.

With the exception of workout gear, I have two uniforms: one professional and one casual. There are slight variances for the casual uniform, but everything works together and making decisions is so much easier now.

I think there is some value in having options, but decision fatigue was what really got to me. I realized I really wore a handful of items, and the rest sat, so there was no reason for me to keep them. I have a handful of items left to sell and will hopefully move them as soon as the weather allows it.

PS: I truly don't think you even need that many dress options. If you rarely need dress attire, I'd go with the following:

- 3 Shirts
            - 1 Suit
            - 1 Blazer
            - 2-4 Ties
            - 2-3 Pairs of Dress Shoes.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's your "casual" uniform?

Comment

About two years ago I reframed my wardrobe toward a more minimalist approach. I had a ton of button ups, entirely too many sweaters, and literally hundreds of band tees from when I was touring etc. It felt like I was constantly reaching for the same handful of shirts, so I simply got rid of everything else. This approach has been great for me, because I actually don't enjoy having too many options every morning, I know no matter what I put on it'll be one of my favorite things to wear, and the extra cash from not buying abundantly allows me to invest heavier into my personal staples. The only exception to this mentality is I have ~10 plaid shirts (mostly thrifted) as the bar I work at requires me to wear plaids.

After paring down my wardrobe, I continued the philosophy into the rest of my apartment. Stored away clutter, only kept necessary items, reduced everything to essentials. It's amazing how much easier it is to think clearly and focus on productivity when you aren't surrounded by clutter and abundance. In my experience, anyway.

I say go for it. Keep only what you love and get rid of the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                  Out of curiosity, what's your "casual" uniform?
                  Shirt: Sold color T-shirt or Polo
                  Leg Covering: Dark Jeans or Khaki Shorts (occasionally worn away from the golf course, but rare)
                  Shoe: Basic Sneaker or RL Marlow Wingtip
                  Other: Jacket or Cardigan (if needed depending on weather)

Professional Uniform

Shirt: Kamakura Light Blue, cutaway collar
                  Navy Suit (1 Jacket with 3 Pairs of pants to rotate and prevent fade issues)
                  Shoes: RL Marlow Wingtip or Carmina Navy Shell Wholecut
                  Ties: 4 (Midnight Navy Grenadine, Burgundy Grenadine, Navy with Silver Repp Stripe, and medium blue silk knit)

The only thing I really use outside of either uniform is my Keeneland outfit. For those of you outside of KY and OH, it's a horse race track where people tailgate and dress like they're at the derby. I go twice a year, and didn't want to ruin a good suit there.

Comment

I am thinking spring cleaning is going to be a good time to pair down.

Comment

I'd love to. Every few months I donate a ton of stuff. I keep listing shirts and pants here for sale because I have a bad habit of thrifting things that don't quite work all the way (size pattern etc) for me or buying that 3rd shirt I don't want just to tip a multibuy sale (damn them). I have more or less stopped buying jackets, thankfully. I do have a minimal wardrobe with respect to casualwear - a few uniqlo solid t's, 2 or 3 solid navy polos of different fabric/looks, 1 pair of nice jeans, 2-3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of sneakers. Okay that's minimal for me, I'm working on it.

My professional wardrobe, it's hard to go minimal on. I'm pretty hard on the trousers and the job can necessitate a fair bit of bending, lifting, etc. I don't sit around all day, and I often have to walk around a lot outside in the Texas heat. But there are many days I do wish it were simpler because it would mean I wouldn't neglect certain pieces and have easier choices in the morning. I also happen to have like, a week's worth of of cold weather work trousers and a set of warmer weather ones, again, because I'm in them all of the time.

Comment

I envy you blokes who've been able to go the minimalist route. I spent tonight polishing my shoes and as I look at the pairs upon pairs on the floor I realize that maybe, just maybe I might have a bit of a shoe problem As much as I tell myself I need to pair down my closet and get rid of some shirts I realize that I actually wear everything in my closet. Some shirts see more of a rotation than others, but in the course of a month all of them will get worn. Because of that, I find it hard figuring out what to keep and how to go the minimalist route.

Having said all that, there is a bag of clothes that has been sitting in my garage for the past two months that needs to be taken to Goodwill. The post on the main site could not have been more timely. Definitely need to take that clothing bag in and drop it off.

Comment

Shoes are the biggest culprit... the number of possibilities is close to endless.

Color?
                          Black / Dark Brown / Bourbon / Walnut / Merlot / Chili / Other (Grey, blue, etc.)

Material?
                          Calf / Cordovan / Suede / Other

Style?

Plain Toe / Captoe / Quarter Brogue / Half Brogue / Wingtip / Longwing / Moccasin-Apron / Other

Chisel / Rounded / Inbetween (square not an option)

Shoe/Boot

also Blucher/Balmoral

If my memory of middle school math serves me right that should be something like 7*4*8*3*2*2 = 2688 different types of shoes you can own. Though I might have just made up the "multiply to get number of combinations" formula up.

Obviously there is quite a bit of overlap, and the categories aren't perfect, but IME shoes are the easiest area to say "well, I don't have an brown blucher suede wingtip yet, and it does fit that niche..." without thinking how often you'll actually wear a shoe.

Comment

I kinda feel bad buying stuff. Not because I don't have the money or anything like that. I have a good job, house, cars, motorcycle. I just feel bad like I have too much shit and others don't have much.

I feel like a lush.

Comment

thought about this the last month. made an excel spread sheet that pared my wardrobe down to just the essentials so that everything matches and i wear only what i love (try it!). i'll probably make a thread on it sometime in the future. my only problem now is that being a bit of a pack rat i have problems giving/selling my stuff away...but it'll have to get done.

Comment

Working...
                              X