Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What style do you ask your barber/stylist for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What style do you ask your barber/stylist for?

Hey all,

I'm in the need for a fresh cut. I have an idea of what I want but would like to see what everyone else out there asks for from their barber/stylist/whoever-cuts-your-hair.

I know there are other threads about hair but I'd like for this one just to be about haircuts and not so much on products or combs or brushes. Thanks!

I generally go in and just ask for a short hair cut. I know a while back I brought in a series of photos of the style I wanted and ask the barber to cut my hair similarly.

Comment

I get a #1 buzzer on the sides and back (back tapered down to no guard) blended into a top that is trimmed lightly to maintain a 4-5" length. I have thick, straight (Asian) hair that I usually part on one side (naturally falls to the left) and give it some lift/volume. Sometimes I'll wear it as messy spikes when I can't comb down the serious cowlick on the back of my head.

Comment

Comment

It depends....I have my cheap place, and my "full treatment" place.

At my full treatment place, you'd basically think you were in the barber shop from the Godfather. Francesco, my 80 year old barber, refuses to take instruction and always just gives me what he calls a "mans" haircut, complete with a straight razor shave. Its never the same in one small way or another, but its always perfect.

At the cheap place I tell them a 2 on the sides, faded to about 4 inches on top. Sometimes its close to as good as the 80 yr old man.

Comment

I'm transitioning to a new hair style. Previously had a #1 on the sides and back blended up to a #1.5. On top previously I sported about 2 inches and spiked it up to a slight fauxhawk.

Now I'm growing out the top to about 4 inches with a hard part. Sides are a #1, back is #1 blended up to a #1.5.

Ever since I started going to a barber (and not a local chain/cuts place), I've had more consistency and satisfaction in my haircuts.

Comment

Interesting story/video/article on hairstyles here if you're interested: http://www.menstylefashion.com/hair-...rends-for-men/

Comment

I ask for a #1 or 2 on the sides and back blended to a 4 and a bit longer than finger length on the top.

Comment

Thanks that's actually been pretty helpful! that gives me a few options on how i may want to style it

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    Interesting story/video/article on hairstyles here if you're interested: http://www.menstylefashion.com/hair-...rends-for-men/
                    Thanks that's actually been pretty helpful! that gives me a few options on how i may want to style it

Comment

Thanks everyone! Right now I've been growing my hair out from my usual buzz cut, the top is about 2.5 inches long and the side and back are just a bit shorter. I've been side parting it so I think I'll end up keeping the top long and doing a 2 to 4 fade on the sides and keep side parting it, or doing something similar at least.

If anyone else cares to share theirs, feel free to. We can keep this thread going to give inspiration for anyone else out there looking for a new cut.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        That's a great article Dave. I usually ask my barber for the "Same As Always", but it may be time to mix it up. My hair is thin, and getting thinner, but not balding. I wonder if I could pull off messy spikes.

Comment

I keep wanting to change up my hairstyle since it has been the same for years now. But the fear of getting something that won't look good on me, or dare I say not suit my age, has kept me in a hair style funk for quite some time now.

Comment

: STYLISH:
                            collarbone-length cut that is slightly shorter in the back with textured bangs that are longer on the sides. You don't want them to be too wispy or blunt. It's long enough for a pony and still stylin.

SOPHISTICATED:
                            longer bob with soft layers and angling around the face. This will give hair movement and boost your natural texture. Keeping the cut light and soft is key. And I love it when a cut has a little bit of texture. Short Curly Hairstyles SHOWS CONFIDENCE.

GIRLY:
                            Just past the shoulders cut with soft layers including a couple to frame your face. This allows waves to lay exactly right(if you will get waves). You don't want to counteract what you have naturally you want to work with what you have.

EDGY:
                            Choppy layers. I am starting to see more really really layered haircuts. Adding long bangs makes it versatile(you can push them to either side or pin'em up) and keeps it from looking shaggy. This cut has major style points and is supper easy to manage- add mousse, mess it up and go!

POLISH BUT PRETTY:
                            You want to keep most of the length, but add in long layers to soften it up. That'll give it movement and keep it from being too blunt(boring). If you're gonna straighten somewhat wavy strands, make sure you apply a heat protectant before breaking out the iron(or risk fyring hair)

Comment

For quite a while it was 1 on the side, faded to a 1.5/2 near the crown. Top varied in length from 2 to 5 inches, typically somewhere in the middle. Styled either messy/faux hawk or parted/coif.

However, yesterday I bit the bullet and actually shaved it all off for the first time in about 20 years (I'm 29). I've ALWAYS had nicely styled hair, in the sense that I take pride in styling it and didn't typically leave the house without doing so. But I'm getting older and the temples are receding a bit. I wanted to basically see what it'd look like shaved, and I didn't want to get to comb-over stage (far from it right now).

Really quite pleased with it. Did 1.5 on sides and 2 on top. Was nice taking no time to get ready this morning, and a friend said she thinks it looks much better than she'd expected (she knew I was doing it ahead of time). I'm not sure if I'll keep it this short going forward, or if I'll return to what I was doing before. I am tempted to buy clippers and keep it short, saving money on the barber at the same time.

Also decided not to shave for the next 3-4 months. First time I've really attempted to grow out facial hair. So I went from years of cleanish-shaven with medium length styled hair to buzzed and growing facial hair. Quite a change!

Comment

Working...
                              X