Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone from China tried hacking into my dappered account...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone from China tried hacking into my dappered account...

I received this message this morning...

"Dappered Threads <[email protected]> 6:53 AM

Dear Dave Porter,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Dappered Threads with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 183.220.105.217

All the best,
    Dappered Threads"

I looked up the IP address and found this: 183.220.105.217 - China - Beijing - China Mobile Communications Corporation

WTF?
    42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Maybe it's an admirer of mine from abroad.

Comment

Hello China? That's right all the tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
        Maybe it's an admirer of mine from abroad.
        haha

Comment

I also got the same alert a few days ago, didn't think much of it since I don't have any sensitive info on here, just deleted it without bothering to check the ip.

Comment

I had the same email last week. Just changed my password & deleted the email.

Comment

Why are people from China trying to brute force your dappered username? I mean, it's not like I have my SSN stored here. And everyone knows my password is hunter2.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                Why are people from China trying to brute force your dappered username? I mean, it's not like I have my SSN stored here. And everyone knows my password is hunter2.
                A lot of people use the same login/password for everything they sign up for. If a hacker can get your Dappered login info, they assume they might also get your banking login.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterPops View Post
                  A lot of people use the same login/password for everything they sign up for. If a hacker can get your Dappered login info, they assume they might also get your banking login.
                  Fair enough. But I don't do that so I guess it didn't occur to me.

Comment

This is just an automated courtesy message from vBulletin letting you know you might not be able to log into Threads for 15 minutes due to this lock-out. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterPops View Post
                      Just a quick tip for those...less inclined to using varying passwords. The problem of using one password is easily mitigated by the following:

1. Let's say your password of choice is "#1EatsBacon". It's your favoritest password, always has been, but you've finally come to realize that using it for everything might not be real smart.
                      2. When signing up for an account on any given website, simply take the first character and last character of the website. For Dappered, that would give us two d's.
                      3. Bracket your desired usual password with the two characters. In this case, that would give us a password for Dappered of "d#1EatsBacond". For google, it would give a password of "g#1EatsBacone"

The above is a really easy way to create "unique" passwords that aren't hard to remember and are actually unique. Each time you visit a given website, you have a reminder right up there in the address bar, and it increases your password length by two characters, making it significantly more difficult to crack.

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post
                        Just a quick tip for those...less inclined to using varying passwords. The problem of using one password is easily mitigated by the following:

1. Let's say your password of choice is "#1EatsBacon". It's your favoritest password, always has been, but you've finally come to realize that using it for everything might not be real smart.
                        2. When signing up for an account on any given website, simply take the first character and last character of the website. For Dappered, that would give us two d's.
                        3. Bracket your desired usual password with the two characters. In this case, that would give us a password for Dappered of "d#1EatsBacond". For google, it would give a password of "g#1EatsBacone"

The above is a really easy way to create "unique" passwords that aren't hard to remember and are actually unique. Each time you visit a given website, you have a reminder right up there in the address bar, and it increases your password length by two characters, making it significantly more difficult to crack.
                        I like this system. I was about to opt for one of those password-vault services, but this may save me from that.

Comment

Website/account hacks or attempted hacks happen all the time. If you're at all curious, turn on the logging feature on your home router. You'd be amazed at the constant drive-pings and knocks on your network door.

Good job on having a secure password though. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post

This is brilliant, thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlot View Post
                              This is brilliant, thank you sir!
                              You're welcome!

I can't claim credit though. Despite working in IT myself, it was actually my mother in law who came up with this. She struggles with her memory. Necessity begat invention in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X