No announcement yet.

Seen any good movies lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched The Berkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young over the weekend. If you are in to long distance running, or like to do adventure races like the Tough Mudder, then this movie/documentary is for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=DocDave;268685]Managed to watch three different movies on a recent business trip.

Office Christmas Party: Meh. It was the kind of brain dead movie I needed at the time. I did find a few moment that made me laugh aloud on the plane (gotta love that).

Is it just me or do movies seem better when you watch them on a plane? Maybe because there is no other distraction, maybe because I remember the days of no movies, not sure but for some reason I seem to like most of the movies I watch on planes. (Office Christmas Party I watched this weekend on the plane)

Comment

I have a few friends who LOVE to watch movies that otherwise can be described as "meh" during long flights. I honestly have no idea how they do it. I just knock out for the flight and get startled awake during landing. To each his own I guess.

PS - Saw Logan last weekend, really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Watched The Berkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young over the weekend. If you are in to long distance running, or like to do adventure races like the Tough Mudder, then this movie/documentary is for you.
          Came in here to recommend this, thought it was great. Pretty sure that if I ever attempted that race, they'd be blowing that bugle for me within the first hour.
          “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
          "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
            I have a few friends who LOVE to watch movies that otherwise can be described as "meh" during long flights. I honestly have no idea how they do it. I just knock out for the flight and get startled awake during landing. To each his own I guess.
            And likewise, I honestly have no idea how you do it. Consider yourself lucky for being able to sleep through a whole flight. If I could, I would gladly choose it over watching movies I'm not really interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
              And likewise, I honestly have no idea how you do it. Consider yourself lucky for being able to sleep through a whole flight. If I could, I would gladly choose it over watching movies I'm not really interested in.
              Ditto. If I could sleep on a plane (or fit into a seat more generally), I'd gladly do so. At best, unless I have a xanax and a red wine or 2 (only works on flights long enough to permit that approach), I get a tiny bit of restless sleep and going in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
                Came in here to recommend this, thought it was great. Pretty sure that if I ever attempted that race, they'd be blowing that bugle for me within the first hour.
                I run ultras (though shorter distances) and everyone always asks "you doing Barkley's?" They do one called The Barkley Fall Classic where it is roughly 35-50 miles on trails and part of the off trail course. Off trail running is strictly forbidden in Frozen Head and like all things people touch, are ruining it for people by running off trail and the race will probably get cancelled in the next few years because people can't respect rules.

If you want to read the 8,800 word race report by the recent finisher John Kelly, here you go: http://www.irunfar.com/2017/04/the-w...ns-report.html

Here is his training for Barkley from January 1 - April 1. For reference, I am running a 50 miler in a few weeks and have only racked up 773 miles and 77K feet of gain this year. 250ft gain per mile is no joke: http://www.randomforestrunner.com/20...hons-training/

Comment

Watched Logan recently at the theaters. I thought it was great - would highly recommend. Good sendoff for Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine - if this is indeed his last one in the series.

Comment

Whatched In Bruges last night. Not a bad flick although it was pretty violent. If you're looking for a humours and violent flick, this might be the one for you.

Comment

I saw Get Out this weekend...it was excellent. It just masterfully walked a tightrope of humor, tension, and horror. I also found its social commentary a lot more fun than a thread about Vineyard Vines.

Whatched In Bruges last night. Not a bad flick although it was pretty violent. If you're looking for a humours and violent flick, this might be the one for you.
                      I'm about due for a rewatching of In Bruges. I've seen it twice I believe (a few years apart), and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Great dark humor.

Comment

Went out and watched Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.

I thought it was a decent flick. I'd give it four out of five stars. Good action. Good humour points. Pretty much all you would expect from a superhero movie. So why not the full five stars? The PC-afying of some characters away from their origins in the comics. Aside from that point though, I do recommend the movie. A nice summer flick and a good way to take your mind off things for a while.
                        Last edited by DocDave; July 18, 2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I've been seeing more movies than usual this summer.

Baby Driver - I really really like this movie. It's funny because it had gotten a ton of hype and I was already a fan of other Edgar Wright films, so I went in with pretty high expectations. I actually came out of it having enjoyed it, but feeling a little let down for some reason. But then over the next few days I just started getting a really strong desire to see it again, and i actually did a couple of weeks later (can't remember the last time I've seen a movie more than once in theaters). Like his other movies, it's just well edited and in general just really tightly written and shot.

The Big Sick - a great date movie, or just if you're a fan of Kumail Nanjiani in general. I tend to like when comedians do the semi-autobiographical stories (Pete Holmes with Crashing, Mike Burbiglia with Sleepwalk with Me), and this one was no exception.

It Comes at Night - Slow burn suspense movie. It will probably be available on Amazon Prime eventually (all A24 movies tend to be). Worth a watch when it's there if slow burn suspense is your thing.

Went out and watch Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.

I thought it was a decent flick. I'd give it four out of five stars. Good action. Good humour points. Pretty much all you would expect from a superhero movie. So why not the full five stars? The PC-afying of some characters away from their origins in the comics. Aside from that point though, I do recommend the movie. A nice summer flick.
                          I enjoyed it too. I definitely have some superhero fatigue in general, but the movies keep being pretty solid. I definitely think Michael Keaton is/was an excellent low level villian. I'm really liking pretty much everything he's touching these days. I'm also just thankful we didn't get an origin story.

I will say I disagree a bit about any PCifying in the movie. I felt the demographics seemed pretty realistic for what you'd see in a modern urban magnet school, and it didn't at all take me out of the movie. Granted, I never really read the comics, so I don't exactly know what may have been lost from the story.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] This was pretty much my take away from the movie as well. It was fun, which is exactly what you would expect from Spider-Man. Michael Keaton was great as well.

Comment

[MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION] +1 for Baby Driver! It missed a couple of beats but for the most part is a great example of near perfect execution of a concept. Glad to see Edgar Wright do something he has been dreaming of for the past 2 decades.

Comment

[MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION] yeah! Michael Keaton was definitely kick ass. Ever since his return to form from Birdman (which was/is another great flick by the way) he's been on fire. Good to see the man back again. I enjoyed his run as Batman, so it's nice to see him come full circle.

Thanks for the suggestion/tip on Baby Driver. I may just have to check it out too!

Comment

Working...
                                X