X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind was blown by Gone Girl...

was also blown by Inside Out

Comment

Creed was better than I expected but I am a suckered for sports movies. Also horror movies so The Boy was fun. The wife and I watched Straight Outta Compton finally. I am a white kid from the burbs that grew up on hip hop, nwa particularly, and it was a good movie for me.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
        Creed was better than I expected but I am a suckered for sports movies.
        I watched it this weekend and really enjoyed it. There were some differences in the characters' backgrounds/motivations, but it was largely a Rocky remake. Still, good stuff.

The wife and I watched Straight Outta Compton finally. I am a white kid from the burbs that grew up on hip hop, nwa particularly, and it was a good movie for me.
        Same deal (white kid from the suburbs), although i didn't grow up on hip hop. I still liked it and found it borderline educational. I had no idea how intertwined all of the people were in that scene. Also, I got a slight sense of joy every time I actually recognized one of the songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
          I watched it this weekend and really enjoyed it. There were some differences in the characters' backgrounds/motivations, but it was largely a Rocky remake. Still, good stuff.

Same deal (white kid from the suburbs), although i didn't grow up on hip hop. I still liked it and found it borderline educational. I had no idea how intertwined all of the people were in that scene. Also, I got a slight sense of joy every time I actually recognized one of the songs.
          not to geek out for a second but that was a pivotal time for hip hop and that group of people were key to turning the corner and making it a real business instead of just kids making beats in their bedroom. And I used to do my chores while listening to NWA on my walkman. First time I heard Eazy E solo album was on a boy scout camping trip.

Comment

Love and Mercy. Anyone who is interested in the Beach Boys and/or mental illness should give this movie a watch. Very well done.

Comment

The Big Short. Great explanation of the whole economic meltdown.

Comment

Finally saw Spectre a few weeks back, pretty disappointing. More recently, watched Sicario, which I really enjoyed.
                “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Captain America: Civil War. Pretty good. Pretty damn good. Lots of action and all that you'd expect from a super hero movie.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    Captain America: Civil War. Pretty good. Pretty damn good. Lots of action and all that you'd expect from a super hero movie.
                    Agreed, this was really good - the airport fight scene was especially great.
                    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

I watched The Nice Guys recently. I was pleasantly surprised. One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while.

Comment

Heading to The Conjuring 2 on Sunday. Have enjoyed the previous films about the Warrens.
                        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I saw Swiss Army Man a couple weeks ago. If you like quirky and unique films, put it on your list. If you're more of a blockbuster kind of viewer, you'll probably hate it. I fall into the former category and really enjoyed it. The first half of the film is damn near perfect in its storytelling. While I don't agree with the way the writers/directors chose to end it, I applaud any original story that is told in its own style.

Comment

Old thread, but I just felt the need to share with some cultured gents.

I saw La La Land last weekend and it was delightful. Chemistry between Gosling and Stone was fantastic, catchy tunes, great modern love story, and the ending has been on my mind ever since. If you can get past the fact that it's a musical (which I realize is a detractor for many), I highly recommend it. It made a great date flick with the wife, and I'm rooting for it to win all the Oscars.
                            Last edited by Deke; January 19, 2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                              Old thread, but I just felt the need to share with some cultured gents.

I saw La La Land last weekend and it was delightful. Chemistry between Gosling and Stone was fantastic, catchy tunes, great modern love story, and the ending has been on my mind ever since. If you can get past the fact that it's a musical, I highly recommend it. It made a great date flick with the wife.
                              Loved it. I've been appreciating musicals more and more lately, having seen a few at the Kennedy Center, and this was a wonderful movie.

Comment

Managed to watch three different movies on a recent business trip.

Office Christmas Party: Meh. It was the kind of brain dead movie I needed at the time. I did find a few moment that made me laugh aloud on the plane (gotta love that). But it's pretty much what you'd expect for this flick.
                                The Nice Guys: I liked this flick. Thought Ryan Gosling played his part perfectly. I'd recommend this one.
                                Moana: Typical Disney animated flick. But when stuck on a plane with limited options, it wasn't too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X