No announcement yet.

What podcasts are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What podcast player/catcher do you guys use? I've been using Overcast for about a year now. it works ok. Several months ago the author inserted ads in to the podcast player. Not quite sure how I feel about them yet...

[MENTION=9736]C.Dubs[/MENTION] Yeah, I have been listening to Homecoming. I think it's ok, although it does feel (to me at least) that it is trying too hard. Trying to be spooky, or conspiratorial, etc. No worries about the podcast listing. I came across it during my travels and thought I'd post it up.

Comment

I just use the Apple podcast platform. It sucks for the most part but no additional ads.

Comment

I use Pocket Casts (iOS)

I did use the stock app for awhile, but every once in awhile it would get a little buggy on me (probably better now). I ended up paying $3-4 for Pocket Casts, but it's worked very well for me over the last couple of years.

Comment

I have always used the native Apple podcast manager.

It works fine, but I kind of don't know what I'm missing. For people who use other ones, what features do you use that you really like (that may not be offered by stock apps)?

Comment

Overcast has a feature that compresses/remove dead air between words. It claims to save time and speed up the podcast listening. Somewhere in the app it tells you how much time the app has saved you, but I couldn't find it in time to post it here.

The app also allows you to set the speed per podcast. So for technical podcasts I listen to it at regular speed. For ones that kind of drag at times - I'm looking at you Black Tapes podcast - I speed it up to 1.2 times.

Finally you can set the maximum number of podcasts to keep per podcast. So for some shows I have it set to only retain the three most recent podcasts.

Comment

I am on episode 4 of S-Town and have to say it is pretty good so far. After a few episodes I had to Google what Jon looked like and wasn't suspecting that.

Comment

Yeah, I did the same too. I also checked out an aerial view of his maze, courtesy of google maps.

Comment

I read this piece about S-Town after finishing it (contains spoilers, so I'd wait until you're done before you check it out).

It's pretty thought provoking. While I enjoyed the series, it brings up some legitimate criticisms.

Comment

Thanks for the piece. I'll give it a read now that I'm done with the podcast.

Comment

I liked the ending to S-Town. It brought together the whole story. As for that Vox piece, I have felt the same when the podcast is about a specific person. I felt the same during the Serial seasons, Missing Richard Simmons, and another one I remember listening to.

I doubt this podcast would have been made had it not been for what happened at the end of episode 2.

Comment

Started listening to Rabbits. It's a radio drama/mystery. I'm not sure about the podcast yet. The story line seems OK, but the pace of the show, not to mention the characters, really aren't doing it for me. Not sure if I'll stick it out or not yet.

Comment

When listening to S-Town all I can think of is Jesse Eisenberg and Zach Galifianakis.

Comment

I just finished S-Town. I didn't think it was great and it really tailed off after like episode 4 IMO. What did you guys enjoy about it? Is there some literary hidden thing i'm missing?

Comment

i listened to it because I wanted to find out how it all ended. But yes, I do tend to agree with you that the shows tailed off after eps. 4. Had it not been for Ira Glass aka This American Life pushing for this show, I doubt it would have been made.

Comment

Originally posted by fencedwall View Post
                                When listening to S-Town all I can think of is Jesse Eisenberg and Zach Galifianakis.
                                HA! I can see that. Especially the Jesse Eisenberg part. There were moments where I found the host's (narrator's?) voice to whiny and a bit hard to bear.

Originally posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
                                I just finished S-Town. I didn't think it was great and it really tailed off after like episode 4 IMO. What did you guys enjoy about it? Is there some literary hidden thing i'm missing?
                                I don't think there's really any hidden literary meaning. I think it's just a story that appeals to many people--those feelings of frustration, desperation, and inability to impact your environment, I imagine, resonate with a lot of folks. On top of that, parts of the podcast are just down right funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X