No announcement yet.

What podcasts are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=burban;255908]Vox is moderate? I'd hate to see what you consider to be left-leaning. Is there a Bolshevik podcast? [/@QUOTE]
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] I think you're right. But it raises a question for me as to what the right-leaning equivalent would be? The strong policy focus makes it less clearly partisan than other political podcasts. The closest I've found is The Libertarian, which basically features softly prompted monologues by NYU Law prof. Richard Epstein on various issues of the day. And agree with him or not, he's extremely smart. But its clearly libertarian rather than Republican or conservative, and he has little interest in whether his ideas are politically feasible or not (for the most part they're not).

Two others are the Ezra Klein show which features a wide range of guests both on the political spectrum, and across various walks of life, and The Axe Files, which is David Axelrod's equivalent from U Chicago.

Comment

• [QUOTE=aps2012;255911]
      Originally posted by burban View Post
      Vox is moderate? I'd hate to see what you consider to be left-leaning. Is there a Bolshevik podcast? [/@QUOTE]
      [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] I think you're right. But it raises a question for me as to what the right-leaning equivalent would be? The strong policy focus makes it less clearly partisan than other political podcasts. The closest I've found is The Libertarian, which basically features softly prompted monologues by NYU Law prof. Richard Epstein on various issues of the day. And agree with him or not, he's extremely smart. But its clearly libertarian rather than Republican or conservative, and he has little interest in whether his ideas are politically feasible or not (for the most part they're not).

Two others are the Ezra Klein show which features a wide range of guests both on the political spectrum, and across various walks of life, and The Axe Files, which is David Axelrod's equivalent from U Chicago.
      The Federalist Radio Hour run by Ben Domenech will often have serious right-leaning policy discussion with guests like Yuval Levin, Christina Hoff Sommers, Nicholas Eberstadt, and Steven Teles on, in addition to more political guests like columnists and side discussions on culture and sports. Ben even got Evan McMullin, the independent presidential candidate, who is the most conventionally conservative candidate running, to come on the show.

As far as strict statistical political analysis, 538's Elections podcast is supposed to be quite good and although nobody doubts Nate Silver's political leanings, he doesn't let that get him off of what the numbers are saying.

Comment

• [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Check out What would Bernie Sanders Do? and it's ilk for that. What can I say? I'm a light blue living in the deep red and need all the help / support I can get. I can't argue that moderate might of been a little thick. I'm just a wayward millennial

Comment

• [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Thanks for the FiveThirtyEight recommend. I listened to some of their back catalog over the weekend and now they are in my subscriptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post
            [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Check out What would Bernie Sanders Do? and it's ilk for that. What can I say? I'm a light blue living in the deep red and need all the help / support I can get. I can't argue that moderate might of been a little thick. I'm just a wayward millennial
            Damn kids...get off my lawn.

Comment

• I listened to most of "In The Dark" over the weekend while doing various cooking projects. It's in the Serial mold, exploring one case/crime and following down some procedural issues as well as some larger picture implications. It actually kind of feels like Serial crossed with Making a Murderer.

I think it's really well done. Highly recommended.

Comment

• Think I'm going to drop The Orbiting Circus, done by the same group that puts on Welcome to Nightvale. The Orbiting Circus podcast just isn't holding my attention like I hoped it would.

Comment

• Not sure if I mentioned this before, I am really enjoying the following:

Imaginary Worlds - all about games and sci-fi, etc.
                  Twenty Thousdant Hertz - all about the different sounds around us. For example one show was about 8 bit video game sounds.
                  Homecoming - radio drama dealing with military conspiracy

Comment

• Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
                    I listened to most of "In The Dark" over the weekend while doing various cooking projects. It's in the Serial mold, exploring one case/crime and following down some procedural issues as well as some larger picture implications. It actually kind of feels like Serial crossed with Making a Murderer.

I think it's really well done. Highly recommended.
                    In a similar vein, Accused was also very good. I'd put it a half step below season 1 of Serial and In the Dark, but still quite good.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      Think I'm going to drop The Orbiting Circus, done by the same group that puts on Welcome to Nightvale. The Orbiting Circus podcast just isn't holding my attention like I hoped it would.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Not sure if I mentioned this before, I am really enjoying the following:

Imaginary Worlds - all about games and sci-fi, etc.
                        Twenty Thousdant Hertz - all about the different sounds around us. For example one show was about 8 bit video game sounds.
                        Homecoming - radio drama dealing with military conspiracy
                        Homecoming is terrific. Also from Gimlet is Crimetown which is also excellent. I can't wait to listen to either one when new episodes come out.

Another of Gimlet's podcsts, Undone, is also very good. But to compare with those above, I don't feel compelled to listen to it immediately.

Comment

• Just started listening to The Truth by Jonathan Mitchell. He advertises the podcast as "Movies for your ears" and I gotta say. I am impressed. Short (under 30 mins) fictional stories that really make you feel as though you're there. Can't recommend it enough if that is your kind of thing.

Comment

• I've worked my way through the back catalogs of the 20 or so podcasts I had initially started listening to, so it's time to branch out a bit. My most recent new picks are Rational Security, Pacific Pundit, and the Skeptoid podcast. Rational Security is hosted by a writer on the Daily Beast and three analysts at the Brookings Institution, and focuses on a variety of national security topics. Its an accessible podcast for security neophytes like myself, and they tackle what could potentially be some pretty dry topics in engaging ways. Pacific Pundit is in a similar vein, but focused particularly on US and Asia-Pacific security issues.

Skeptoid tackles common misconceptions and pop science, with an emphasis on drawing from primary sources to dispel myths and misunderstanding.

Comment

Just started listening to The Truth by Jonathan Mitchell. He advertises the podcast as "Movies for your ears" and I gotta say. I am impressed. Short (under 30 mins) fictional stories that really make you feel as though you're there. Can't recommend it enough if that is your kind of thing.
                              Yup, this one has firmly been in my rotation for a year or two now. Most of them are really good.

Comment

• Anyone have a good daily news podcast. I really enjoyed the Most Popular Stories podcast from NPR which took the best/most-shared stories from Morning Edition and All Things Considered but they pulled the plug last month. They want everyone to use their app, which prefer not to do for a bunch of reasons. That has left a burning hole in my podcast rotation for well-reported daily news coverage.

Anyone have favorites?

Comment

Working...
                                X