X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burban
    replied
    Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Check out What would Bernie Sanders Do? and it's ilk for that. What can I say? I'm a light blue living in the deep red and need all the help / support I can get. I can't argue that moderate might of been a little thick. I'm just a wayward millennial
    Damn kids...get off my lawn.

Leave a comment:

• pixelpusher
    replied
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Thanks for the FiveThirtyEight recommend. I listened to some of their back catalog over the weekend and now they are in my subscriptions.

Leave a comment:

• pixelpusher
    replied
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] Check out What would Bernie Sanders Do? and it's ilk for that. What can I say? I'm a light blue living in the deep red and need all the help / support I can get. I can't argue that moderate might of been a little thick. I'm just a wayward millennial

Leave a comment:

• burban
    replied
    [QUOTE=aps2012;255911]
    Originally posted by burban View Post
    Vox is moderate? I'd hate to see what you consider to be left-leaning. Is there a Bolshevik podcast? [/@QUOTE]
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] I think you're right. But it raises a question for me as to what the right-leaning equivalent would be? The strong policy focus makes it less clearly partisan than other political podcasts. The closest I've found is The Libertarian, which basically features softly prompted monologues by NYU Law prof. Richard Epstein on various issues of the day. And agree with him or not, he's extremely smart. But its clearly libertarian rather than Republican or conservative, and he has little interest in whether his ideas are politically feasible or not (for the most part they're not).

Two others are the Ezra Klein show which features a wide range of guests both on the political spectrum, and across various walks of life, and The Axe Files, which is David Axelrod's equivalent from U Chicago.
    The Federalist Radio Hour run by Ben Domenech will often have serious right-leaning policy discussion with guests like Yuval Levin, Christina Hoff Sommers, Nicholas Eberstadt, and Steven Teles on, in addition to more political guests like columnists and side discussions on culture and sports. Ben even got Evan McMullin, the independent presidential candidate, who is the most conventionally conservative candidate running, to come on the show.

As far as strict statistical political analysis, 538's Elections podcast is supposed to be quite good and although nobody doubts Nate Silver's political leanings, he doesn't let that get him off of what the numbers are saying.

Leave a comment:

• aps2012
    replied
    [QUOTE=burban;255908]Vox is moderate? I'd hate to see what you consider to be left-leaning. Is there a Bolshevik podcast? [/@QUOTE]
    [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] I think you're right. But it raises a question for me as to what the right-leaning equivalent would be? The strong policy focus makes it less clearly partisan than other political podcasts. The closest I've found is The Libertarian, which basically features softly prompted monologues by NYU Law prof. Richard Epstein on various issues of the day. And agree with him or not, he's extremely smart. But its clearly libertarian rather than Republican or conservative, and he has little interest in whether his ideas are politically feasible or not (for the most part they're not).

Two others are the Ezra Klein show which features a wide range of guests both on the political spectrum, and across various walks of life, and The Axe Files, which is David Axelrod's equivalent from U Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• burban
    replied
    Originally posted by pixel-pusher View Post
    This is a great thread!

Political
    Slates Political Gabfest (moderate)
    Vox's The Weeds (moderate)
    NPR Political Podcast (left)
    Abe Lincoln's Top Hat (libertarian / comedy)

Design / Development
    Immutable (SpecFM)
    Design Details (SpecFM)
    Developer Tea (SpecFM)

Culture / Tech
    Freakonomics Radio
    The Engadget Podcast
    Planet Money (NPR)
    Fresh Air (NPR)
    Pop Culture Happy Hour (NPR)
    Just Us Geeks

Guilty Pleasures - My junk listening revolves around the unexplained and supernatural
    Astonishing Legends ("The click-and-clack brothers of the unexplained")
    Last Podcast on the Left (horror comedy, extremely NSFL but hilarious)
    Lore

Cooking - Cooking is my form of release along with running, hiking, painting
    Gravy (Southern Food stories / history)
    Fugitive Waves with the Kitchen Sisters (food related history)
    Vox is moderate? I'd hate to see what you consider to be left-leaning. Is there a Bolshevik podcast?

Leave a comment:

• pixel-pusher
    replied
    This is a great thread!

Political
    Slates Political Gabfest (moderate)
    Vox's The Weeds (moderate)
    NPR Political Podcast (left)
    Abe Lincoln's Top Hat (libertarian / comedy)

Design / Development
    Immutable (SpecFM)
    Design Details (SpecFM)
    Developer Tea (SpecFM)

Culture / Tech
    Freakonomics Radio
    The Engadget Podcast
    Planet Money (NPR)
    Fresh Air (NPR)
    Pop Culture Happy Hour (NPR)
    Just Us Geeks

Guilty Pleasures - My junk listening revolves around the unexplained and supernatural
    Astonishing Legends ("The click-and-clack brothers of the unexplained")
    Last Podcast on the Left (horror comedy, extremely NSFL but hilarious)
    Lore

Cooking - Cooking is my form of release along with running, hiking, painting
    Gravy (Southern Food stories / history)
    Fugitive Waves with the Kitchen Sisters (food related history)

Leave a comment:

• Terminado
    replied
    [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION]
    I have! Your post earlier in the thread is actually what put me on to it.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    [MENTION=15132]Terminado[/MENTION] have you given All Songs Considered a listen? That podcast has been great for introducing me to new music. I absolutely love it.

Leave a comment:

• Terminado
    replied
    Probably a little-known fact here on Threads is that music is one of my big passions in life, and it strays into my reading and podcast habits. As such, lately I've been listening to Lead Singer Syndrome, hosted by Shane Told of Silverstein. On the show, he interviews vocalists from the punk/ hardcore/metal scene about singing and other aspects of their lives as professional musicians, and then plays samples of their music to cap off the episode. Shane's interview style is engaging to listen to, and the wide range of guests keeps the content interesting throughout.

Leave a comment:

• Sideswipe
    replied
    I've been in the mood for some history-related stuff, so I started on the Hardcore History series on WWI. Couldn't get into it, so I switched over to History of Rome, which I'm really enjoying. Couple dozen episodes in and still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Just started listening to a new podcast from Jonathan Goldstein; Heavyweight. I thoroughly enjoyed his previous show on CBC called Wiretap so I'm looking forward to this show.

Heavyweight is a little different from Wiretap though. While Wiretap was more 'whinny' and 'woe is me', Heavyweight seeing Jonathan going out and helping his friends, family, and strangers right wrongs from the past. The few episodes I've listened to have been good.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Just downloaded the preview of the new podcast from the Welcome to Nightvale crew. This one is called The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air). The preview sounded ok, so I'll give the first couple episodes a listen.

I thought Alice Isn't Dead was a pretty good podcast, but wasn't a far of Between The Wires (or whatever the other one was called). Welcome to Nightvale though I'm still a fan of.

Leave a comment:

• aramainep
    replied
    The Fighter and The Kid - they talk about sports, MMA, and life. They're very upfront about what they feel which is AWESOME.
    Anna Faris is Unqualified - They don't really talk about a lot of important things, but I just really like seeing her (and sometimes Chris Pratt) in a candid state.

Leave a comment:

• JPD Revised
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell is really good.

I've also started listening to the Drama of the Week by the BBC. Brings back the old time radio dramas back before there were such things as TV, Internet, etc. I highly recommend them both.

Re: Art of Manliness, I subscribe to the feed, but I pick and choose the episodes I listen to.
    Yeah, that's my plan for AOM, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X