No announcement yet.

What podcasts are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so-so on the Art of Manliness podcast. Sometimes I think the episodes will be great and they turn out to be 'meh'. Plus often times I feel like Bren MaKay (the host) is just blowing the interviewees off. After they give a big long explanation of things he just goes "oh yeah, that's interesting" and then moves on to the next question. There is no emotion in his voice. Just kinda yah I know, let's get on with it.

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on what podcast(s) to listen to for new music? NPR's All Songs Considered is very good, but I'm looking for others in the vein. Suggestions anyone?

Comment

Been listening to Alice Isn't Dead from the same group that puts out Welcome to Nightvale. I'm enjoying the storytelling, it's really well done.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Been listening to Alice Isn't Dead from the same group that puts out Welcome to Nightvale. I'm enjoying the storytelling, it's really well done.
          Differing opinion here. It's got Nightvale's weird, but little to none of its humor. I recognize that it is a different type of story and is going for a different tone, but this one just isn't as compelling to me. They are spinning off another podcast - Within The Wires. This is written by Jeffrey Cranor and I'll be interested to see if I like it any better (and which of the two main writers I might prefer as Joseph Fink is responsible for Alice Isn't Dead).

Comment

I'll agree with you [MENTION=2598]redbeardedmike[/MENTION] that AID is a different kind of podcast. It took me a while to get in to it. And the back and forth story telling was hard to get my heard around. But once I settled in with it, I quite enjoy the podcast.

As for Within The Wires, I just listened to the first episode and I am not a fan. Perhaps it's because I was doing other stuff at the time, but the storytelling really didn't hold me. I'll give the next episode a try but I am not sure this one will make the cut for me.

Comment

I've been thoroughly enjoying More Perfect. Its a Radiolab spinoff about the US Supreme Court. It's pretty new- just a couple of episodes, but so far its been great.

Comment

I'm out for Between the Wires. Tried to listen to the most recent episode and just couldn't. Shame too, since I really enjoy(ed) Alice Isn't Dead and Welcome to Nightvale.

Comment

Originally posted by branded_in_Bama View Post
                  I've been thoroughly enjoying More Perfect. Its a Radiolab spinoff about the US Supreme Court. It's pretty new- just a couple of episodes, but so far its been great.
                  Yep. I've been listening to More Perfect, too, and I think it's quite nice. I also have been listening to the second season of Invisibilia. Probably my favorite podcast of all time.

Other podcasts I listen to regularly - Stuff You Should Know, Generation Why, Thinking Sideways (but I'm kinda getting ready to jump ship on this one...), How To Do Everything, and Radiolab. One of the guys from Generation Why also has a new side project podcast - The Peripheral. It's pretty good. Six episodes in, and I still like it.

Comment

I think Radiolab is one of the better podcasts out there. Absolutely love it. I'm not listening to More Perfect though as, well, I'm not living in the US...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      I think Radiolab is one of the better podcasts out there. Absolutely love it. I'm not listening to More Perfect though as, well, I'm not living in the US...
                      While I think More Perfect resonates more with an American audience, I think some episodes might appeal to a broader audience. If you find yourself with nothing else to listen to, I encourage you to try More Perfect. It's really well done. My wife (who I can fairly say has extremely limited interest in the United States Supreme Court) really enjoyed the "Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl" episode which discusses how a birth father (who had signed away his parental rights) was able to take a child away from her adoptive parents.

Comment

I think radiolab has been abandoning their science related topics lately for some reason. It is starting to become another "this American life". I like it still (and I like TAL as well), but it's kind of a bummer because I really liked how they approached stories in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                          I think radiolab has been abandoning their science related topics lately for some reason. It is starting to become another "this American life". I like it still (and I like TAL as well), but it's kind of a bummer because I really liked how they approached stories in the past.
                          Yeah, it's been some years since they were strictly science-focused. I think they kind of rebranded to being "about curiosity." Obviously, that would give them a lot of leeway.

They could have always been defined as about curiosity and I may have missed it in. I definitely was blown away by their earliest podcasts that were exclusively science-focused. I still like what they are doing, but they are no longer killing it every time for me.

Comment

For the photo geeks in the crowd, I really enjoy So You Want to be a Photographer with Gina Malica. The ones from Improve Photography are pretty good too.

Comment

Currently listening to:

- The Art of Charm
                              - The Art of Manliness
                              - EconTalk
                              - A bunch of Christian podcasts

I also do a lot of audio books. Except for listening to sports radio during football season (Go Hawks!) I've basically stopped listening to the radio.

Comment

Just started listening to Drama of the Week from BBC Radio 4 and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'll have to look in to The Art of Charm. Is it at all like the Art of Manliness? I find that podcast can be hit or miss at times. Which is ok, I just skip the ones that 'miss'.

Comment

Working...
                                X