Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    Side part semi- pomp looking thing

Suavecitos firme but I don't like how hard it gets over the day. I like pomade a that do not harden like gel. I like American Crew pomade and I am going to try Teddy Boy Matte.
    The reason I like Aveda's pomade is because it holds my hair in place but never becomes hard. I can run my fingers through my hair all day and it continues to hold... Might be worth trying out!

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
      The reason I like Aveda's pomade is because it holds my hair in place but never becomes hard. I can run my fingers through my hair all day and it continues to hold... Might be worth trying out!
      That's why I like the un-hip american crew pomade. I know it's not a artisan pomade but it is a solid water based pomade that doesn't dry with high shine and medium hold. Suavecitos firme is high hold buy dries and looks like 1990's gel. If you are going for a more avant garde hair style like a super high pomp it's money but with a classic professional hairstyle it's a little much.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
        Would you say you have thick hair? My problem is that my hair is quite thick so I have a hard time finding a product that works without making me look like a greaser.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Would you say you have thick hair? My problem is that my hair is quite thick so I have a hard time finding a product that works without making me look like a greaser.
          I have a similar issue (and spent most of my late teens and early 20's just going with the greaser look). What I currently use is a product called "Cool Grease Flat Pomade" (http://www.fellowbarber.com/brands/c...at-pomade.html). It puts my super thick hair where I want it and keeps it there, while not being stiff or shiny. It's expensive, to be sure, but it's the best stuff I've used (and I've used a lot of stuff over the years). You also don't need to use a lot of it, so 3 ounces lasts me a couple of months.

I've also used American Crew fiber, which is pretty good, but can leave a little visible residue if you aren't careful about combing it in and tends to work less well the longer my hair gets. It also doesn't bounce back from being under a hat very well.

I've also used at various times Layrite pomade, Murray's (I still sometimes use the beeswax variety for spot cowlick control), Imperial Barber Classic Pomade (pretty good, but smells funny and gets a little stiff), and probably at least a dozen other products. Overall, my advice is to try a bunch of different products until you find what works for you, then update as necessary based on changes in how you style your hair. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
            I typically alternate between Blind Barber 90 Proof or Imperial Barber Matte Pomade.

BB is by far the best one I've ever used, but it is expensive ($18 for 1.7oz can). I stick with Imperial most of the time due to cost effectiveness.
            I absolutely loved the Blind Barber 90 Proof when I had it for matte styling but man was that tin tiny. Is the Imperial Barber Matte Pomade a pretty similar product?

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
              I have a similar issue (and spent most of my late teens and early 20's just going with the greaser look). What I currently use is a product called "Cool Grease Flat Pomade" (http://www.fellowbarber.com/brands/c...at-pomade.html).
              Thanks Shomas. I'll have to take a look for that stuff. Good to know.

Comment

I use American Crew Fiber on my hair when it's shorter and needs more hold, and American Crew Forming Cream when it's a little longer and has more weight to hold itself down naturally. My hair is very fine and there is a lot of it, so it looks crazy fuzzy if I don't use some kind of product to keep it under control, especially when it's very short.

I also do the side part semi-pompadour - a basic side part to start, but I do push things up and back and try to work a little height/volume in. I create the part with a comb but I do all the rest of the styling just with my fingers, no dryer or anything. It ends up like this, though my hair is typically not quite this long:

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; February 20, 2015, 04:22 PM.
                Ben

Comment

I just use regular hair paste - short on the sides and scissor cut on top.

I also get a haircut every 3 weeks, and I only wash it every 2-3 days unless I go to the gym or work up a sweat. Learned that trick from an old stylist - it always looks better the day after I wash it instead of that day for some reason. I also use hair dryer though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooky View Post
                    I just use regular hair paste - short on the sides and scissor cut on top.

I also get a haircut every 3 weeks, and I only wash it every 2-3 days unless I go to the gym or work up a sweat. Learned that trick from an old stylist - it always looks better the day after I wash it instead of that day for some reason. I also use hair dryer though.
                    Pretty much the same way I style my hair too. Trouble with my hair being so thick is that there isn't much else I can do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
                      I absolutely loved the Blind Barber 90 Proof when I had it for matte styling but man was that tin tiny. Is the Imperial Barber Matte Pomade a pretty similar product?
                      The 90 Proof is better, but not enough better to justify the cost difference for everyday use. Here's my order of quality with the hair products I've used:

1. Blind Barber 90 Proof
                      2. Imperial Matte Pomade (doesn't hold as well as 90 Proof, but does have a nice matte finish)
                      3. Imperial Fiber Pomade (has a little more shine than I prefer, but does hold well)
                      4. American Crew Fiber
                      5. American Crew Forming Cream

I'm intrigued about Imperial's Blacktop pomade due to high hold and low shine, but am unsure about using a tinted product. My hair is already almost black, but still not a fan of the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post

I also do not shampoo my hair, and simply rinse it when showering but I throw maybe a dime size amount of Brylcreem in after a shower to freshen up a bit.
                        Interesting. I've tired the whole not shampooing thing before but unless I shampoo my hair daily I find that washing alone just causes my scalp to feel/smell a bit stale. Also, I don't know whether my paranoia has any basis but I am a bit concerned that not shampooing will cause product, dead cell and 'DHT' (if that's even a real thing) build-up leading to possible hair-loss long-term?

At the moment I have quite a simple hair routine. Firstly, I have to shampoo my hair before styling....without shampoo, it's practically impossible to break the bed-head mould with water alone.

Then, I apply a few drops of coconut oil before using a dime sized amount of crew fibre on slightly damp hair. I let the hair dry naturally over the next 20mins or so (whilst I finish getting dressed) before doing the whole slight side part pomp thing with my hands (no comb).

Comment

Originally posted by mech500 View Post
                          Interesting. I've tired the whole not shampooing thing before but unless I shampoo my hair daily I find that washing alone just causes my scalp to feel/smell a bit stale. Also, I don't know whether my paranoia has any basis but I am a bit concerned that not shampooing will cause product, dead cell and 'DHT' (if that's even a real thing) build-up leading to possible hair-loss long-term?

At the moment I have quite a simple hair routine. Firstly, I have to shampoo my hair before styling....without shampoo, it's practically impossible to break the bed-head mould with water alone.

Then, I apply a few drops of coconut oil before using a dime sized amount of crew fibre on slightly damp hair. I let the hair dry naturally over the next 20mins or so (whilst I finish getting dressed) before doing the whole slight side part pomp thing with my hands (no comb).
                          If you dislike the non-'clean' smell (or lack of smell, depending on how you look at it), I would suggest just using some conditioner each time you shower. I started doing that while I was growing my hair longer (recently cut it back to more traditional length) and then washing it with a deep clean shampoo once a week. I had great results, such that I'm still doing it now even with shorter hair.

To note, I'm not sure what hair product you're using, but it sounds like it's pretty intense (crew fiber doesn't seem that bad? it's been years since I've used it though). I use water based pomades and other products, so I never really had many issues getting it out whether with water alone or conditioner. YMMV.

Comment

Let's talk about hair!

^^ thanks mate.

What I meant to say was that, even if I sleep with zero product in my hair, I find that in the morning my hair has formed at least 3 intense parts and the back is laid flat against the scalp. I find that I need a few drops of shampoo in the morning to break the parts and 'lift' the hair back of the scalp.

Thanks for the conditioner only tip. Will try tommorow.

Comment

Originally posted by mech500 View Post
                              ^^ thanks mate.

What I meant to say was that, even if I sleep with zero product in my hair, I find that in the morning my hair has formed at least 3 intense parts and the back is laid flat against the scalp. I find that I need a few drops of shampoo in the morning to break the parts and 'lift' the hair back of the scalp.

Thanks for the conditioner only tip. Will try tommorow.
                              Ah gotcha -- I read bed head as a styling product / hairstyle hah. Yeah, I've had success with a little conditioner doing the trick.

Comment

Side part, pulled back to the side and back. Use a pomade or a cream depending on my mood. Use American Crew for both styling and washing/conditioning. Though, I have some English Laundry Pomade that I like on occasion.

Comment

Working...
                                X