Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about hair!

Hey guys,
    Somehow my interest in menswear has led me to take an interest in men's hair as well (maybe I just love they way that men's hair and menswear rhyme, who knows.) I was wondering what kind of stuff you guys do each day with your hair, i.e. what style, product, etc. I've been playing around with some different things that "sometimes" work out and could always use some other ideas.

I've been using this product for a couple of months now. http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/C-...cgid=hair-care

So far it's been working well. Before that I was using Evo Crop Strutters for about a year. No complaints there either, but I decided to give the BoC a try just to mix things up.

Comment

My brother's gf works for Aveda and had turned me on to their products. I use their Mens shampoo, conditioner, and pomade. I have enjoyed them quite a bit and t commend giving them a try!

Comment

I've been very satisfied with layrite superhold.

Comment

I have naturally pretty thick and wavy hair, and a good friend of mine is a very talented barber who I allow full reign to do what he pleases with my hair. This combination of factors has me with the tight tapered sides/longer parted hair on top look that is pretty trendy right now, but I find it complements me well and is appropriate for most situations. I use the Layrite range of products for styling (http://www.layrite.com/). They have a warm, vanilla-like smell that the ladies really dig and do a pretty great job keeping my hair in place. I also do not shampoo my hair, and simply rinse it when showering but I throw maybe a dime size amount of Brylcreem in after a shower to freshen up a bit. I've found that most shampoos rob the moisture from hair and give it a flat, lifeless appearance, so if anyone has suggestions here I'm open to them.

I for one would be interested in seeing some of the hairstyles the other members here employ, I do think hair is a fairly important part of dressing well.

This is a few months back but I've had it styled this way for a while:

Comment

dr. bronner's + citrus or apple cide cinegar rinse. then anchor's hair matte wax.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Ba...dp/B00DAI76TC/
            http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Ci...dp/B0017QT5UM/ or http://www.amazon.com/Bragg-Apple-Ci...MVG0/(castille soap has a high ph so following up by using an acidic rinse brings the ph back to normal)
            http://loveanchors.com
            Last edited by Crakaveli; February 17, 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
              I have naturally pretty thick and wavy hair, and a good friend of mine is a very talented barber who I allow full reign to do what he pleases with my hair. This combination of factors has me with the tight tapered sides/longer parted hair on top look that is pretty trendy right now, but I find it complements me well and is appropriate for most situations. I use the Layrite range of products for styling (http://www.layrite.com/). They have a warm, vanilla-like smell that the ladies really dig and do a pretty great job keeping my hair in place. I also do not shampoo my hair, and simply rinse it when showering but I throw maybe a dime size amount of Brylcreem in after a shower to freshen up a bit. I've found that most shampoos rob the moisture from hair and give it a flat, lifeless appearance, so if anyone has suggestions here I'm open to them.

I for one would be interested in seeing some of the hairstyles the other members here employ, I do think hair is a fairly important part of dressing well.

This is a few months back but I've had it styled this way for a while:
              kind of what i'm going for minus the pomade. previously had a 1 on the side and as short as possible on the top while still being able to part it. now, i'm growing the top out a bit and keeping the sides short.

Comment

a good tip to finding a good barber is to google search: your city + barber + instagram. most shops in on the newest styles and trends will have an instagram.

Comment

[MENTION=11265]Crakaveli[/MENTION] that's a great tip. Took me forever to find a barber I was happy with. When I finally did find one, the shop he was working out of went tits-up after six months and I was back on the hunt again.

Comment

Side part using whatever pomade I decide on for the day.

Comment

I have a side part similar to Bartleby's, but the hair flows to the side and back, unlike is his which is more to the side and forward. I blow dry it and pre-style it with ADH Dry, then finish it off with a small amount of Admiral or Bonafide pomade.

Comment

i was using Layrite for awhile and before that, Shiner Gold.

SG was good except that it didnt have a good hold. It's around $13 at your barbers or $15 online

Layrite was really good because it holds the hair well. The only problem is, you might lose a few while brushing because its really thick. I didn't like that part. It's around $15-$16 depending on the barber shop or on amazon. I find it hard to find this at any barbers. Fellow Barber only carries the expesive off brand bullshit.

I'm currently using Suavecito. This is similar to Shiner Gold (it has a shimmer), also hold firms unless its super windy. I didnt get super hold yet but I might one day (going to a wedding soon so that might be good). Unlike the other two I used, it has a nice scent to it. I'm not sure what it is yet or if its good for you but I'm enjoying it at the moment. It's cheaper than both brand I mentioned at $12 and the super hold around $14 i think. I recommend it (so far).

Comment

I typically alternate between Blind Barber 90 Proof or Imperial Barber Matte Pomade.

BB is by far the best one I've ever used, but it is expensive ($18 for 1.7oz can). I stick with Imperial most of the time due to cost effectiveness.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with Hanz de Fuko's stuff? I've heard that name thrown around a lot online.

Comment

Side part semi- pomp looking thing

Suavecitos firme but I don't like how hard it gets over the day. I like pomade a that do not harden like gel. I like American Crew pomade and I am going to try Teddy Boy Matte.

Comment

Working...
                              X