Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied
    We haven't taken a trip in a while so there's really nothing exciting to show. But we've been upgrading our equipment since my wife has left her job and started doing photography for a living. Our next big trip won't be until fall of next year. Until then, it's babies, families, and pet portraits.
    Last edited by alan; November 4, 2014, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Took a trip to Virginia Beach to visit family and we checked out this lighthouse http://preservationvirginia.org/visi...nry-lighthouse

Cape Henry Lighthouse, Fort Story, Virginia Beach by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Cape Henry Lighthouse Stairs, Fort Story, Virginia Beach by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Cape Henry Lighthouse Window, Fort Story, Virginia Beach by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Really gorgeous [MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION]. Especially that first shot.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Went backpacking two weekends ago and ended up camping at the lower and upper falls on Canyon Creek. Really awesome trip jam packed with beautiful scenery. I highly recommend it as a long weekend trip, could probably stretch it out more too.

Canyon Creek Lower Falls by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Upper Canyon Creek Falls by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Canyon Creek Upper Falls by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Canyon Creek Campsite by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied
    Finally got a chance to walk around with my new prime lens...

A cloudy day in Boston by pratato, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Originally posted by thedrake View Post
    [MENTION=2192]Cannon[/MENTION] that second shot is amazing, love it

It looks like Mars, where is that?
    Thanks. I'd guess Arizona, but I don't totally recall. I went to Las Vegas twice and had a layover in Phoenix on only one of the trips. I believe it was that one, but can't be certain. So most likely it is somewhere not far from Nevada or Arizona, as it wasn't too long into the flight, with the ultimate destination being in the direction of Florida.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    [MENTION=2192]Cannon[/MENTION] that second shot is amazing, love it

It looks like Mars, where is that?

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    To the original poster's question, what really helped me out was youtube. Learning the basics and feeding my excitement for photography.

Here's some good ones as there are a lot of crappy ones out there:

Karl Taylor
    FroKnowsFoto
    Chase Jarvis
    Zack Arias
    DigitalRev - The Top Gear of photography

Edit: I forgot to mention to look for youtube videos where they critique user submitted photos. SLR Lounge has a long running series on youtube. This is a lot more effective after getting the basics down.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    I'll post a few tonight (if I can remember to).

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    ^Those are gorgeous.

EDIT: Some super-edited iPhone shots flying over Nevada. Not my usual camera or situation, but I'm enjoying the transformations, nonetheless.

Last edited by Cannon; April 17, 2014, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Another page with no photos!

How about some old stuff from Sedona, AZ

20131105 - Sedona AZ-41.jpg by PeterDSims, on Flickr

20131105 - Sedona AZ-77.jpg by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
    Thanks much - to both of you. What I want is to back up all my changes, while still preserving the original RAW file (which is what the xmp file is for, I think). Ideally, I'd do it in such a way that if I were to switch computers, I could just copy the raw + xmp files over to the new computer, and access my old raw files, and my old changes and labels, without any fuss. I'll look at the link and the videos to confirm that I can do that. Thanks.
    How about a 2 bay NAS with RAID 1 capability? Access to the files from any computer and better backup reliability then a standard external drive. Will cost you though. $500~ + the cost of 2 HDD.

Leave a comment:

• rlriii13
    replied
    Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
    Ideally, I'd do it in such a way that if I were to switch computers, I could just copy the raw + xmp files over to the new computer, and access my old raw files, and my old changes and labels, without any fuss.
    Another option would be to get all your files on that external drive, and work exclusively on that drive. Just add the drive to your LR catalog. If you switch computers, just add the drive to your catalog again. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of a reason (other than working speed) that you need to work off of your computer's internal drive. I'd still advocate having another drive dedicated to backup, but you could also have a drive dedicated to your photos. Just an idea for thought.

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
    Every time you post in a page of a photography thread without photos in it, God drops a Leica.
    Nice shots! Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Very nice, [MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION]! Let me see if I can round up a few. I used to maintain a personal site for this stuff, but I've never used flickr very much.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Every time you post in a page of a photography thread without photos in it, God drops a Leica.

Little Corona by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Moon Over the Newport Harbor Jetty by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X