Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
    I'm having trouble with backup in lightroom. If I want to move a bunch of my raw files off the hard drive and onto a backup drive, I'm not sure how to move them with all my changes / tweaks / labels attached. Anyone know how?
    That was always my issue with lightroom. That, and I'm too lazy to sort through my 48k photos. They would take up more HDD space than I have in my MacBook, so I just don't get around to doing anything at all with them...

Comment

I'm having trouble with backup in lightroom. If I want to move a bunch of my raw files off the hard drive and onto a backup drive, I'm not sure how to move them with all my changes / tweaks / labels attached. Anyone know how?
      Do you want to just back them up or move them entirely from your internal hard drive to an external?

If its the latter, move the files while youre in lightroom. Just make a folder in the new drive and drag and drop them through the LR interface. It'll keep track of where they are.

If its the former, have LR write onto your raw files (if they are DNGs) or create a sidecar XMP file (if proprietary RAW such as NEF or CR2). Read about it here http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroo...8BA5CDE37.html You can then just copy the files over to your backup drive.

EDIT: And I just realized rlriii13 already mentioned all of this. Whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
        That was always my issue with lightroom. That, and I'm too lazy to sort through my 48k photos. They would take up more HDD space than I have in my MacBook, so I just don't get around to doing anything at all with them...
        It's still a problem that demands a solution, lightroom or not.

Comment

Thanks much - to both of you. What I want is to back up all my changes, while still preserving the original RAW file (which is what the xmp file is for, I think). Ideally, I'd do it in such a way that if I were to switch computers, I could just copy the raw + xmp files over to the new computer, and access my old raw files, and my old changes and labels, without any fuss. I'll look at the link and the videos to confirm that I can do that. Thanks.

Originally posted by trung View Post
          Do you want to just back them up or move them entirely from your internal hard drive to an external?

If its the latter, move the files while youre in lightroom. Just make a folder in the new drive and drag and drop them through the LR interface. It'll keep track of where they are.

If its the former, have LR write onto your raw files (if they are DNGs) or create a sidecar XMP file (if proprietary RAW such as NEF or CR2). Read about it here http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroo...8BA5CDE37.html You can then just copy the files over to your backup drive.

EDIT: And I just realized rlriii13 already mentioned all of this. Whoops.

Comment

Every time you post in a page of a photography thread without photos in it, God drops a Leica.

Little Corona by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Moon Over the Newport Harbor Jetty by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice, [MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION]! Let me see if I can round up a few. I used to maintain a personal site for this stuff, but I've never used flickr very much.

Comment

Ideally, I'd do it in such a way that if I were to switch computers, I could just copy the raw + xmp files over to the new computer, and access my old raw files, and my old changes and labels, without any fuss.
                Another option would be to get all your files on that external drive, and work exclusively on that drive. Just add the drive to your LR catalog. If you switch computers, just add the drive to your catalog again. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of a reason (other than working speed) that you need to work off of your computer's internal drive. I'd still advocate having another drive dedicated to backup, but you could also have a drive dedicated to your photos. Just an idea for thought.

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                Every time you post in a page of a photography thread without photos in it, God drops a Leica.
                Nice shots! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks much - to both of you. What I want is to back up all my changes, while still preserving the original RAW file (which is what the xmp file is for, I think). Ideally, I'd do it in such a way that if I were to switch computers, I could just copy the raw + xmp files over to the new computer, and access my old raw files, and my old changes and labels, without any fuss. I'll look at the link and the videos to confirm that I can do that. Thanks.
                  How about a 2 bay NAS with RAID 1 capability? Access to the files from any computer and better backup reliability then a standard external drive. Will cost you though. $500~ + the cost of 2 HDD.

Comment

Another page with no photos!

How about some old stuff from Sedona, AZ

20131105 - Sedona AZ-41.jpg by PeterDSims, on Flickr

20131105 - Sedona AZ-77.jpg by PeterDSims, on Flickr

Comment

^Those are gorgeous.

EDIT: Some super-edited iPhone shots flying over Nevada. Not my usual camera or situation, but I'm enjoying the transformations, nonetheless.

Last edited by Cannon; April 17, 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I'll post a few tonight (if I can remember to).

Comment

To the original poster's question, what really helped me out was youtube. Learning the basics and feeding my excitement for photography.

Here's some good ones as there are a lot of crappy ones out there:

Karl Taylor
                          FroKnowsFoto
                          Chase Jarvis
                          Zack Arias
                          DigitalRev - The Top Gear of photography

Edit: I forgot to mention to look for youtube videos where they critique user submitted photos. SLR Lounge has a long running series on youtube. This is a lot more effective after getting the basics down.

Comment

[MENTION=2192]Cannon[/MENTION] that second shot is amazing, love it

It looks like Mars, where is that?

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                              [MENTION=2192]Cannon[/MENTION] that second shot is amazing, love it

It looks like Mars, where is that?
                              Thanks. I'd guess Arizona, but I don't totally recall. I went to Las Vegas twice and had a layover in Phoenix on only one of the trips. I believe it was that one, but can't be certain. So most likely it is somewhere not far from Nevada or Arizona, as it wasn't too long into the flight, with the ultimate destination being in the direction of Florida.

Comment

Finally got a chance to walk around with my new prime lens...

A cloudy day in Boston by pratato, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X