No announcement yet.

Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the others. You can always clean the front and rear glass of the lens, but I never touch the rear glass unless I know there's something on it that needs cleaned. Also, 99% of the time I clean the front of my lenses, I don't need any type of solution (be it cleaning product, water, etc.). I just use a microfiber cloth and wipe gently in a circular motion. If that doesn't do it, I'll add a little water to the mix. Clean away!!! ... but I doubt that's what's causing the issue you're having.

Originally posted by ncfranklin View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a lens filter of any sort unless you're shooting in a sandstorm.
    Again, I think a filter has no bearing on [MENTION=2555]tdig[/MENTION]'s auto-focusing, but I was on a shoot once and while taking a quick break, found this:

I have no idea how it happened, all I know is that it wasn't that way when I took the lens out to shoot. I must have bumped it on something. That was one instance when I was particularly happy to have had a filter in place.

Comment

Originally posted by rlriii13 View Post
      I have no idea how it happened, all I know is that it wasn't that way when I took the lens out to shoot. I must have bumped it on something. That was one instance when I was particularly happy to have had a filter in place.
      A very different lens with a very different dollar value. Wouldn't blame ya for keeping something protective on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ncfranklin View Post
        A very different lens with a very different dollar value. Wouldn't blame ya for keeping something protective on that one.
        Good point. I suppose in this case, [MENTION=2573]alan[/MENTION]'s suggestion of replacement makes a lot of sense should something wide up being damaged. But, I hope that's not the case, [MENTION=2555]tdig[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
          ^I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on mirrorless cameras, specifically Sony's NEX line with full APS-C sensors. Me and my photo friends feel great about them.

I am just about 0% portraiture. I like scenery, landscapes, and architecture. People are rarely the full on subject of my photos, which I learned is my preference through practice and classes.

Personally, I have used DSLRs for years. Canon and Nikon are fantastic, and preference is really the only major difference (as far as final quality). I have used Sony and Pentax (both great, just a little less equipment behind them) a lot as well and took photography classes for 3 years. I also own Photoshop (if you sign up for a class at a college and get a student ID or email address, you quality for student pricing which means you get the Extended edition for about $200).

Start with a simpler editing program for a few months, then start the free 30-day trial of Photoshop and see how you like it. Photoshop was almost completely learned through practice and playing around for me, but I also recommend a class or tutorial, as the heavy features and smoothest methods are often found through those.

Practice a lot and pay attention to which photos you think are keepers. That will help you build techniques.

My photo class helped me a lot in learning terminology and basics of features that can really get you on the right path. I really recommend taking classes. If you can find a class that allows you to use a point and shoot like you have, start there. Then you can practice and upgrade to a higher end camera when ready.

My next camera, however, will be mirrorless.

Mirrorless cameras are basically a system that offers a compact body, but use interchangeable lenses that are in the low to mid SLR range for comparison (meaning, unless you are going pro, they get the job done well) and offer all the customization features and manual settings of a full size DSLR body. They also accept adaptors for the other major camera brands, allowing other Sony, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Pentax, and more lenses to work on the cameras. Currently, the Sony NEX line of mirrorless cameras are leading the class and the NEX 7 has one of the highest rated sensor performances of any camera in any class. The NEX line (The NEX-3 is seen in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [2011]) is partly the leader due to their use of the full-size Sony Alpha DSLR sensors. They basically have the same foundation that Sony's full size DSLRs have, and in many users' experiences, are high enough quality to replace their DSLRs.

Sony NEX line:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...entifier=S_NEX

Best of luck.

My research and testing over the last few months has led me to conclude mirrorless is the way to go for me. DSLRs are great if you find certain benefits that really are necessary, but for what I do revolving around manual settings and a few staple lenses, the NEX line has me covered in a modern package and full APS-C sensor. For those who just like a go-to mid (or low depending on the model) range SLR that they use to keep on them so they don't miss shots and do a bit of tripod work for the special scenes, these do the job well. For those who set up full on shoots or vary between athletic gallery shots to astronomy photography, I am sure you have a couple DSLRs hanging from your neck anyways, so the mirrorless is more of your out-to-lunch-walk camera.
          You might want to either wait for the new Sony a6000 (a successor to the NEX-6 more so than anything else) to release; You might like the upgrade or you could probably get the NEX-6 for a little bit cheaper.

I looked at NEX-6 & Olympus E-M5 for a bit and played around with the new E-M10 last week. I ended up ordering the Olympus E-M10 instead of the Sony. I just felt that I'm not missing out much on the sensor size + megapixels; the lowlight performance seems to be pretty on par in the sample shots I've seen of the Sony a6000 and the Olympus E-M10. Also, the choice of lenses for the micro 4/3rds system is far better than Sony and the E-Mounts; Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma all make good to great prime lenses. The Sony also lacks in-body stabilization which is important to me to be able to take pictures without a tripod.

My first camera was a Olympus Trip 35 as a kid and I inherited an Olympus film SLR from my dad for a while so I had that sentimental connection to the Olympus as well. As far as digital photography, I started out with a compact P&S Lumix and then had the Canon Megazoom S5IS.

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
            You might want to either wait for the new Sony a6000 (a successor to the NEX-6 more so than anything else) to release; You might like the upgrade or you could probably get the NEX-6 for a little bit cheaper.

I looked at NEX-6 & Olympus E-M5 for a bit and played around with the new E-M10 last week. I ended up ordering the Olympus E-M10 instead of the Sony. I just felt that I'm not missing out much on the sensor size + megapixels; the lowlight performance seems to be pretty on par in the sample shots I've seen of the Sony a6000 and the Olympus E-M10. Also, the choice of lenses for the micro 4/3rds system is far better than Sony and the E-Mounts; Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma all make good to great prime lenses. The Sony also lacks in-body stabilization which is important to me to be able to take pictures without a tripod.

My first camera was a Olympus Trip 35 as a kid and I inherited an Olympus film SLR from my dad for a while so I had that sentimental connection to the Olympus as well. As far as digital photography, I started out with a compact P&S Lumix and then had the Canon Megazoom S5IS.
            This is a revived thread. Anything posted before today's is very old and likely no longer pertinent.

Comment

Does anyone on here use Aperture, Lightroom or Elements?

So far I've used iPhoto but the more I use it, the more I hate the interface and the way photos are handled.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                This is a revived thread. Anything posted before today's is very old and likely no longer pertinent.
                Oops. So much for looking at the date/timestamps for messages

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
                  Does anyone on here use Aperture, Lightroom or Elements?

So far I've used iPhoto but the more I use it, the more I hate the interface and the way photos are handled.

We live and die by Lightroom. I can't describe how great it is.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    We live and die by Lightroom. I can't describe how great it is.
                    Dito. I think you can still download a trial and give it a whirl to see what you think of it. I'm still clinging to 3.6 though. [MENTION=2573]alan[/MENTION], have you upgraded to a cloud version? We use it a bit at work, but I haven't really used it rough enough to pass judgement one way or the other.

Comment

Yeah. We've got Creative Cloud. It's basically version 5.0.

Comment

I'm getting frustrated by iPhoto, too. As much as I like keeping my program suite Apple-based, I am interested in any top notch alternatives. iPhoto is making it a nightmare for me to edit photos in Photoshop and keep track of the files. I like to know what happened to my original, layered file, and final image, but iPhoto generally just wants you to add an edited image next to the original and no other functionality that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                          I'm getting frustrated by iPhoto, too. As much as I like keeping my program suite Apple-based, I am interested in any top notch alternatives. iPhoto is making it a nightmare for me to edit photos in Photoshop and keep track of the files. I like to know what happened to my original, layered file, and final image, but iPhoto generally just wants you to add an edited image next to the original and no other functionality that I can see.
                          This is precisely where Lightroom excels.

Comment

I'm having trouble with backup in lightroom. If I want to move a bunch of my raw files off the hard drive and onto a backup drive, I'm not sure how to move them with all my changes / tweaks / labels attached. Anyone know how?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
                              I'm having trouble with backup in lightroom. If I want to move a bunch of my raw files off the hard drive and onto a backup drive, I'm not sure how to move them with all my changes / tweaks / labels attached. Anyone know how?
                              You can export to a new catalog. At least I think that's how it works. I've never actually tried.

Comment

You could also keep them as part of the same catalog by just opening the backup drive within LR and dragging your files to that drive (within LR). You could do the same thing outside of LR if you move the sidecar files in addition to the original image. The sidecar file is what contains all those tweaks. Take a look at this video. It might help get you where you want to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X