No announcement yet.

Whiskeys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=9190]Pepetito[/MENTION] - No offense intended. In fairness, I've only had the low-end of Jameson and I'm told they actually do make some better options. My opinion on the cheap stuff is that I can get a much better bourbon for the same price.

[MENTION=13278]jm722[/MENTION] - I'll look into it. Thank you.

[MENTION=10556]gibbysmalls[/MENTION] - You're mostly correct about Maker's, but the 46 is actually quite tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
      There's nothing wrong with Irish whiskey, but anything sub-$50 won't touch the depth that the Cigar Malt possesses. I've had the Dalmore 12yr and Cigar Malt side-by-side and the difference in depth and intensity of flavor is incredible.
      Not going to disagree. Dalmore 12 is some fairly high octane stuff. 3-5 more years do wonders for it. I was just trying to suggest a whiskey that had similar flavors that is under $50 to keep in line with the original posting. I originally was tossing around Auchentoshan 12, Highland Park 12, or if you can find it under 50, Oban 14, but none of those really nail the flavors and smoothness you get with the Cigar Malt.

If I was replacing the cigar malt, I'd go with Oban Distillers Edition 2014 or Highland Park 18. Both are a bit lighter and less muddled than the cigar malt.

Comment

Large ice cube trays. Free shipping with today's code. $5.60 not bad.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...true&hash=row6

Comment

Any good recommendations for a nice bottle of scotch at the sub-$75 price range? I'm in a friend's wedding and he is a big fan of all things single malt and smokey so I wanted to get him a good bottle as a bachelor party gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan.Lish View Post
            Any good recommendations for a nice bottle of scotch at the sub-$75 price range? I'm in a friend's wedding and he is a big fan of all things single malt and smokey so I wanted to get him a good bottle as a bachelor party gift.
            I'm not sure how much The Peat Monster is in your area, but if you want smoke, that's the one to get. It's technically a blend of single malts, but Compass Box does a good job with all their whiskies (even if I don't much care for scotch).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan.Lish View Post
              Ardbeg Uigeadai, Laphroaig Cask Strength, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Oban 14 are great buys in the vicinity of 75$.

Comment

Just wanted to say a quick "thank you!" for this discussion. I found it extremely helpful in choosing a whiskey for a friend's 30th birthday party this weekend ( I went with the Bulleit Rye, as his wife mentioned he likes rye whiskeys).

Since this is my first post on Threads, I should probably issue the disclaimer that I am not a member of the male species, but rather a female who lurks around dappered.com for insight into men's clothing and style. And no, it's not just idle curiosity, my husband is a PhD student who is hoping to start teaching at a university in the next few years, so I've been using Dappered as a resource to build/freshen/professionalize his wardrobe. I'm very grateful to Joe, Tim, Shomas, Beth, all of the other contributors, and of course all of the comments and forum regulars for their invaluable advice, opinions, and experience. Thanks so much for a great website/resource/community!

Comment

[MENTION=12450]Courtney[/MENTION]: I pop onto this gentleman's blog (http://brokeandbespoke.tumblr.com/) every now and then to see his trad/uni look. I believe he's a professor of some sort so he's got that whole look down pretty nicely, IMO. You may be able to find a few insights for your husband.

Comment

[MENTION=11878]ImagePree[/MENTION]: Thanks so much for the recommendation! I will definitely use this blog for further ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by gsasso View Post
                      I'm a big fan of Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Neither are obscure or anything, but they really nail the quality/value combo.
                      These are two of my favorites also!

Wow...I'm so glad my first post could be about Bourbon!

Hello everyone.

Joe
                      If you can't beat them, join them......then beat them!

Comment

Went out with the wife the other night we found ourselves at a prohibition style whiskey bar in rochester last weekend. She knew the bartender so I had an opportunity to do a side by side between the sazerac, bulliet, knob creek and hudson rye's. Sazerac didn't impress me. I've kept bulliet on hand for over a year (and still probably will) so it was a known quantity, but the knob creek was much smoother, even at the higher proof (like their bourbon), the hudson was another animal entirely, almost dessert-like with the cinnamon notes, if you get the chance to try it, dont pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkie_415 View Post
                          Went out with the wife the other night we found ourselves at a prohibition style whiskey bar in rochester last weekend. She knew the bartender so I had an opportunity to do a side by side between the sazerac, bulliet, knob creek and hudson rye's. Sazerac didn't impress me. I've kept bulliet on hand for over a year (and still probably will) so it was a known quantity, but the knob creek was much smoother, even at the higher proof (like their bourbon), the hudson was another animal entirely, almost dessert-like with the cinnamon notes, if you get the chance to try it, dont pass it up.
                          I miss MacGregors and DiBellas so much.

Comment

Working...
                          X