Whiskeys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskeys!

I'm going to have to try Sazerac Rye if I can find it. They don't seem to have it in Vermont, but I'm always on the lookout for a good affordable Rye.

As for recommendations of my own:
    Eagle Rare 10 year is a surprisingly good Bourbon in the $25 price range that I think tends to fly under the radar.
    I like Wild Turkey Rye quite a bit. It's the best Rye I've found so far at that $20ish price-point.

I'm a big fan of Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Neither are obscure or anything, but they really nail the quality/value combo.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Sazerac. Rittenhouse is also decent, especially in cocktails. Four Roses is my go-to inexpensive bourbon of choice. I have a couple of cocktails that call for scotch I've been looking to try, so I'm glad to have this article's inexpensive scotch recommendations.

Comment

For Bourbon I recommend Blanton's. I have tried Bulleit - also good, and I have a bottle of 12 year Glenlivet for whiskey, but Blanton's is definitely my favorite.

Comment

I prefer the whisky's from the Sazerac corportate family, with Buffalo Trace being the main distillery.

Along with Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and W.L. Weller are solid. Another option is E.H. Taylor if its available in your area. I enjoy Jefferson and Elijah Craig, too.

Bulleit is a solid Rye. I usually always have a bottle on hand.

Comment

Sazerac is amazing for the $25 price mark, and accounts for arguably the first American cocktail.
            I have to say that most of the whiskeys from Buffalo Trace (Sazerac, Blanton's, and Eagle Rare are all part of the distillery) are great for their price points.

As an aside - Anyone who hasn't tried a whiskey or bourbon cream, instead of the more common IrishCream/Kahlua, should definitely give that a go whenever possible.

Comment

IMO Buffalo Trace is the single best price/quality combo of any whiskey out there - there's a reason it's already been mentioned multiple times in this thread already.

Comment

Curious where to purchase the Dalmore Cigar Whiskey mentioned in the post in NH - the liquor stores seem to only have the 12yr single malt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'm very curious where the author managed to find Cigar Malt for less than $100 (typically goes around $130). I own the Gran Reserva and Cigar Malt (essentially the same thing) and both are quite expensive. Maybe the $40 price is for a tasting at the distillery (quite expensive if it is). I'll also tack on that while there is no age statement, the majority of the whiskey will be older stock.

As far as Blanton's not having a ton of history, Buffalo Trace distills, ages, and bottles this whiskey. Buffalo Trace has a ton of history.

Originally posted by Marc999 View Post
                  Curious where to purchase the Dalmore Cigar Whiskey mentioned in the post in NH - the liquor stores seem to only have the 12yr single malt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  Not sure that the state run liquor stores will carry Cigar Malt. They seem to carry more of the wildly available stuff like the 12 yo.
                  Last edited by paintflinger; February 9, 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc999 View Post
                    Hey Marc, do you know if they sell the Sazerac in NH Liquor stores? If so I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm through.

Comment

If you like Bulleit Bourbon, you'll also like Four Roses (single barrel being my favorite) as Diageo (owner's of Bulleit) don't distill any whiskey in the USA. If you like the Rye, most anything from MGP on the 95% Rye recipe will suffice. Bulleit and George Dickel are the two biggest brands using it. But any bottle labeled distilled in Indiana will probably be the same juice.

If you like Blanton's, seek out Elmer T Lee. It's the same juice as Blanton's but with no age statement. It's also a single barrel product. I actually prefer it to Blanton's even though it is cheaper. But like all Buffalo Trace products, it can be hard to find in some areas. Buffalo Trace is being hit harder by the whiskey shortage than most distilleries.

If you like Rye (like I do), but find the 95% recipe that MGP makes too off putting (it tastes way to strong of mint for me to drink neat), it can be tough to find a good whiskey. I do love the Sazerac Rye, and the Rittenhouse BIB is also good. I don't mind Wild Turkey, Old Overholt, or Jim Beam; but I don't really like them neat. However, note that those Rye Whiskies are barely Rye. They will contain about 51% Rye, 5-10% Barley, and the rest Corn. You can get a VERY similar flavor profile by choosing a very high Rye bourbon. My favorite is Old Grand Dad 114 which has about 40% Rye and 5-10% Barley, with the rest Corn. Four Roses Single Barrel also is good with a similar recipe.

Comment

As for bourbon and rye, I have a thing for Michter's but I wouldn't consider these affordable when I can grab 2 Four Roses for the price of 1.
                        Widow Jane is also up there on my list and unfortunately, still not in the affordable range.

Take a look at www.caskers.com. They usually offer a good amount of obscure and hard to find bottles for fair pricing.

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                        I'm a big fan of Sazerac. Rittenhouse is also decent, especially in cocktails. Four Roses is my go-to inexpensive bourbon of choice. I have a couple of cocktails that call for scotch I've been looking to try, so I'm glad to have this article's inexpensive scotch recommendations.
                        I tend to pay a few bucks more and go for the Four Roses Single Barrel. It's definitely worth the extra cost.

What do you consider an 'inexpensive' Scotch? I might be able to recommend a few bottles that are <$50 NYC prices.

Comment

For those of you that have mentioned Buffalo Trace and Blanton's, you should also check out Benchmark. It's made by the same distillery and is my go-to when I need really cheap bourbon (rum runner kits for cruises, big parties, etc). It's remarkably cheap (just under $20 a handle) and doesn't have any of the harsh side effects of other bourbons in that price range. I has a surprisingly good flavor and offers the best quality to price ratio IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
                            For those of you that have mentioned Buffalo Trace and Blanton's, you should also check out Benchmark. It's made by the same distillery and is my go-to when I need really cheap bourbon (rum runner kits for cruises, big parties, etc). It's remarkably cheap (just under $20 a handle) and doesn't have any of the harsh side effects of other bourbons in that price range. I has a surprisingly good flavor and offers the best quality to price ratio IMO.
                            You can pretty much apply this to anything coming out of Buffalo Trace. Old Weller, Stagg, Rock Hill, Eagle Rare, and the list goes on and on. As far as under $30 goes, I'll spend a couple bucks and buy the Eagle Rare or Old Weller instead of Benchmark.

Comment

Buffalo Trace and Old Weller Antique have been my go-to bourbons lately. Four Roses single barrel is also very good to echo the comment above. I haven't been able to get into Scotch as much but I'm trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X