Dappered Whole 30 Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
    I really enjoyed the post as well. I don't know if I can do anything that drastic as I try to consume my body weight in protein every day. I have been monitoring my intake of carbs to protein to fat ratio more recently lately as I continue my work out gains from the latter half of 2014 into 2015 and hope to continue to eat better and exercise with intensity. I've dropped roughly 30 pounds from my peak weight high a few year ago. Lately it's more about weight training and just focusing more on diet than trying to cut out completely certain items.
    This is a perfectly rational approach if you're main goal is to build muscle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Originally posted by Creature View Post
      I am doing a whole 30 right now. I typically eat pretty healthy so the only changes I'm making are cutting dairy, legumes and rice/quinoa for the 30 days until I can add them back in. My fiancé did it earlier this year and she had some acne and muscular issues clear up. I'm just hoping it will act as a cleanse for me.
      Interesting! I don't have any goals of healthier skin of aches/pain on this, but I do have a chronic shoulder injury that may improve, though I doubt it. I'm also looking at it as a cleanse. Particularly the alcohol part as I recently realized I probably haven't gone without a drink for 30 days since I was 18 or so.

How have you been navigating lunch at work? That will be the toughest thing for me I think as my lunch hour is pretty sacred.

Comment

Originally posted by tomservo View Post
        Interesting! I don't have any goals of healthier skin of aches/pain on this, but I do have a chronic shoulder injury that may improve, though I doubt it. I'm also looking at it as a cleanse. Particularly the alcohol part as I recently realized I probably haven't gone without a drink for 30 days since I was 18 or so.

How have you been navigating lunch at work? That will be the toughest thing for me I think as my lunch hour is pretty sacred.
        I've been making a sweet potato chili and bringing it in. sweet potato, ground beef/turkey, tomatoes, onion, celery, peas, whatever other veggies and spices. I dont mind eating it cold, so I'm good to go. If you would need it hot, just bring it in something that you can heat up.

The whole 30 tells you not to weigh yourself and take measurements to track progress, but I am. Mainly because i count my macros and hit specific totals, my weight and BF are part of my weekly measurements. Most people do well on this because it makes you eat BETTER carbs, not no carb, or even low carb depending on how you eat.

One week down for those who started Jan. 1st! Keep it going!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
          I really enjoyed the post as well. I don't know if I can do anything that drastic as I try to consume my body weight in protein every day. I have been monitoring my intake of carbs to protein to fat ratio more recently lately as I continue my work out gains from the latter half of 2014 into 2015 and hope to continue to eat better and exercise with intensity. I've dropped roughly 30 pounds from my peak weight high a few year ago. Lately it's more about weight training and just focusing more on diet than trying to cut out completely certain items.
          I hear what you're saying, however, I am going to venture that I eat either the same or more than you and I also monitor my pro/carb/fat intake. I have done less than 50g's of carbs/day and over 180g's of carbs/day on this. Pro/fat have tons of options. For carbs, you'll be eating a lot of veggies and sweet potatoes and a piece of fruit before you work out. Get creative with how you cook things.

#homemadesweetpotatofries

Comment

Originally posted by tomservo View Post
            This is a perfectly rational approach if you're main goal is to build muscle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
            Yeah that's my rationale as well. I will change things as needed as progress needs to be made in one area or another. Hoping to keep this up as a routine as my weight has been on a roller coaster ride since high school.

I hear what you're saying, however, I am going to venture that I eat either the same or more than you and I also monitor my pro/carb/fat intake. I have done less than 50g's of carbs/day and over 180g's of carbs/day on this. Pro/fat have tons of options. For carbs, you'll be eating a lot of veggies and sweet potatoes and a piece of fruit before you work out. Get creative with how you cook things.

#homemadesweetpotatofries
            Definitely lots of options available. There is no right way or wrong way to do something. Just pick something that works for you and stick with it.

Comment

halfway through day two ad I'm still alive. Looking to find bacon without sugar in it. Had never considered that before, but most do. Have a line out to my butcher to see if he can help. So far so good. My energy is definitely more constant both days. I haven't had many adverse affects, hopefully it stays that way. For 3 or 4 days before I did a prep of 95% whole30.

Just finished my meal plan for the week and am surprised how few modifications I had to make to a lot of my standards. Tonight will be seared tuna with a butternut squash mash. Sundays I typically do a big braise/roast, so will do shortribs with a beautiful grilled raddicchio I got from my CSA.

The biggest challenge will be breakfast as I'm always short on time in the morning and typically eat yogurt and granola + fruit at my desk. Am going to make a big fritata tomorrow that I hope will do the job.

tl;dr version. Not grumpy yet. Thanks for reading.

Comment

I ate about half a loaf of fresh-baked sourdough with homemade hummus while reading this thread. True story.
                Ben

Comment

Good Luck!

Good luck [MENTION=2901]tomservo[/MENTION] and to all those having a go at the Whole 30 or who are taking on any other betterment endeavor!

I don’t think the Paleo and these versions of extreme restriction diets are at all meant to be full lifestyle plans. I'm generally opposed to anyone telling me that any one thing (or group of things) is terrible and should be COMPLETELY avoided and typically subscribe to an "all things in moderation" approach. So the fact that I got behind this one kind of surprised even myself. However, the more research you do and reading from the creators of the program, you start to realize that it’s not necessarily about never having carbs/dairy again and more about giving yourself a "reset". The strictness of the program makes it fairly easy once you get over the initial shock.

That being said, I officially completed the Whole 30 about 3.5 years ago and it certainly resulted in some fairly drastic changes in my life. (Only drastic cause I was treating my body TERRIBLY before!) Since finishing the program we now typically maintain a diet which hovers around 60-80% Paleo. In effect, there is plenty of room for bread and cookies but most everything else is home cooked veggie and protein goodness. Since the start I have dropped around 40-45 lbs and my weight has only the normal fluctuations with virtually no real exercise.

Basic results that my wife and I saw while on the plan... 1. Somewhere between 15-30lbs of weight loss (Cheap booze and Mexican food in Houston can really sneak up on you). 2. Semi-Significant amount of $'s saved from essentially cutting out all restaurants/bars for a month. 3. Slightly clearer complexions. 4. Moderately improved energy levels 5. Only minor emotional irritations during the first week. 6. Nice side effect for those who live with SA’s once you get past #5..... Turns out we really enjoy doing the grocery shopping and cooking together when have specific plans and can attack the tasks together..

So I guess that's my woefully long way around saying Cheers to you for getting something started and while we are all different you can have at least one direct account of a person who got a positive result from the experience.

Comment

I did Whole 30 around March of 2014 in anticipation of my wedding. I can tell you that it works, considering the fact that I lost approximately 25 pounds in that time frame, and barely went to the gym. My closet hated me.

I won't sugarcoat it, it was fucking tough. Did a lot of crock pot cooking so I didn't have to come home exhausted and still need to cook for myself. I highly recommend the Tessamae's marinades and dressing, can pretty much cook any animal protein in it with delicious results. I also did notice while I was on Whole 30 that my chronic back pain had significantly reduced, as did any acne I would normally have.

But the worst of it, the absolute worst, were the shits. I cannot even begin to explain how awful they were. First of all, I would only go once every 3 or 4 days (normally I'm defecating once or twice a day). But every time I went, I was sweating and screaming in pain. I was hoping for an exorcism. I legitimately asked my (now) wife, a nurse, to bring home morphine in anticipation of my next bowel movement. I would've rather eaten an entire 5lb bag of Haribo gummy bears than take a Whole 30 dump.

Since then, I've maintained my weight, although I do have a desire to drop a few more pounds, and actually go to the gym that I'm paying for every month. Alas, the fat tax strikes again. Unfortunately, working a full-time job, a part-time 2nd job, and attending law school at night tends to cut into exercise and cooking time. So maybe in 2 to 3 years from now I'll attempt Whole 30 again.

Any questions that anyone may have, or Paleo / Whole 30-friendly recipes, feel free to message me. I have both Whole 30 cookbooks in PDF format (Well Fed and Well Fed 2) that I'd be happy to share.

Comment

I'm no health professional but a "diet" that causes you to drop 25 pounds in 30 days and develop some seriously horrific-sounding digestive complications does not sound remotely healthy to me. When I was losing weight a few years ago, everything I read advised that you cannot healthily lose more than 1-2 pounds per week.

I don't mean to get on a high horse here, but back in the day, I lost about 20 pounds the old-fashioned way, by cutting the junk out of my diet and putting in my hours at the gym. It took 5 or 6 months and a lot of willpower but I certainly never experienced side effects so painful that I was tempted to use prescription painkillers....
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by ahglove View Post
                        But the worst of it, the absolute worst, were the shits. I cannot even begin to explain how awful they were. First of all, I would only go once every 3 or 4 days (normally I'm defecating once or twice a day). But every time I went, I was sweating and screaming in pain. I was hoping for an exorcism. I legitimately asked my (now) wife, a nurse, to bring home morphine in anticipation of my next bowel movement. I would've rather eaten an entire 5lb bag of Haribo gummy bears than take a Whole 30 dump.
                        Sounds like you didn't get enough fiber. When I went on a keto diet, if I didn't get 30 grams of fiber from somewhere, whether psyllium husk or something like a Quest nutrition bar, I'd be sitting on the toilet seat for days with nothing to show.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right, I was astonished at the amount of weight I lost and how quickly I did, and was concerned about how healthy it actually was. But, I can tell you that committing to Whole 30 did make me create a habit of cutting out junk foods and focusing on healthy eating. It's one habit that I've still kept for almost a year now, and I've been able to maintain the same weight since Whole 30.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I'm no health professional but a "diet" that causes you to drop 25 pounds in 30 days and develop some seriously horrific-sounding digestive complications does not sound remotely healthy to me. When I was losing weight a few years ago, everything I read advised that you cannot healthily lose more than 1-2 pounds per week.

I don't mean to get on a high horse here, but back in the day, I lost about 20 pounds the old-fashioned way, by cutting the junk out of my diet and putting in my hours at the gym. It took 5 or 6 months and a lot of willpower but I certainly never experienced side effects so painful that I was tempted to use prescription painkillers....

Comment

For anyone interested, here is a link to download the cookbooks:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5uenj3am...8-5CyEX8a?dl=0

There are versions for viewing on both small (phone) and large (tablet/PC) screens.

Comment

I believe the weight loss thing also has to do with your composition. If you only have 20 lbs to lose, it will come off slower than if you have 100 lbs to lose. I would think that itt also has to do with previous lifestyle. If you have to rework every meal or if you just have to cut out the grains and keep everything else the same.

The thing I wish would happen next is an in depth discussion about macro/micro nutrients and nutrient timing!

Comment

I believe the weight loss thing also has to do with your composition. If you only have 20 lbs to lose, it will come off slower than if you have 100 lbs to lose. I would think that itt also has to do with previous lifestyle. If you have to rework every meal or if you just have to cut out the grains and keep everything else the same.

The thing I wish would happen next is an in depth discussion about macro/micro nutrients and nutrient timing!
                                I'd agree with this. It's a lot easier to lose if you have more extra weight and also dependent on your age. I lost 10 pounds in 11 days while traveling on vacation several years ago without really thinking about it and eating/drinking whatever I wanted, but I had to walk everywhere.

I don't think Whole30 is inherently more or less healthier than other diets, you just have to use common sense. One thing they try to get you to cut back on more is fruit due to the natural sugar. But that's how you can get lots of fiber as well.

I'm on Day 10 now and it's still going well. I am definitely regular, thanks for asking. Energy is better and more consistent throughout the day. Still not sleeping well.
                                Only things I'm really craving are pizza and beer. I'm keeping notes so I'll see if I can contribute it to the diet or other factors.

Comment

Working...
                                X