Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need excuse for an interview across the country and advice how to pack

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a problem and not sure how to handle it. Next week I have an interview on the other side on the country, so will take two days traveling plus the interview day (scheduled for wednesday)
    what do I tell my current employer? being that I have to take tues-thurs off.
    Knowing I'm going to end up using vacation days, but they always dig a little deeper and I can't think of a reasonable excuse. As a side note of this, just wondering how you would go about packing a suit, know any ways to travel with a suit and only carry-on being that I don't want to spend an entire day traveling in my suit the day before my interview too.

Thanks in advance
    twitter: @adg_ca
    instagram: @adg_ca

They shouldn't be digging deeper. It's your vacation time you've accrued so you should be able to use it with no questions asked.

If they are being nosey/dirty about it, I'd have no problem lying to them. If you haven't already put in for time off, I would tell them last minute (Sunday night or Monday) that a family member died and you need to fly across country for the funeral. Use the same timeline as your interview but replace interview with funeral when you're telling them your reasoning.

For the family member, use someone that they wouldn't ask too many questions about and someone that you wouldn't necessarily be distraught over so you don't have to continue the lie when you return. Perhaps an aunt or cousin. If you have put in a request for time off already, then you obviously can't use the death in the family excuse.

Comment

I've used excuses similar to Vicious49. As for packing a suit, a carry on bag you can hang up should do as they usually have space for them. Southwest in the US has no space for hanging suit bags.

Comment

I would swap out "family member" for "childhood friend". You have more room to make stories up with that one. Or drop the whole funeral thing and just say you're visiting a friend. Or take the Friday off too and make it look like a proper vacation and you can tell them just about anything.

Comment

I like the idea highlighted in this video that you can wear the suit jacket with different pants and shirt while traveling.

However, if you would like to enjoy your meals on your trip without worrying about your suit jacket, you can simply fold the suit and put it at the top so it is not being weighed down to develop unwanted creases.

Mr. Porter has a series on packing, and I was drooling over the luggage and shoes these gentleman own, while learning about how they packed suits (quite roughly to my surprise)

Comment

If you have to pack your suit jacket, turn one arm inside out, and tuck in the (reversed) shoulder pad into the other shoulder pad, then fold.

Also, try to to roll up (instead of fold) most of your other clothes to maximize space.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
              If you have to pack your suit jacket, turn one arm inside out, and tuck in the (reversed) shoulder pad into the other shoulder pad, then fold.

Also, try to to roll up (instead of fold) most of your other clothes to maximize space.
              I think I might try this method as I've seen it a few different places, hopefully 10 hours of travelling won't cause any wrinkles a steam shower at the hotel can't fix.

thinking I'll use the friend from university passed away excuse, if they ask any further questions about why i want vacation
              twitter: @adg_ca
              instagram: @adg_ca

Comment

Originally posted by gilla View Post
                I think I might try this method as I've seen it a few different places, hopefully 10 hours of travelling won't cause any wrinkles a steam shower at the hotel can't fix.

thinking I'll use the friend from university passed away excuse, if they ask any further questions about why i want vacation
                Hopefully your boss isn't a member of dappered

Good luck!
                Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                  I would swap out "family member" for "childhood friend". You have more room to make stories up with that one. Or drop the whole funeral thing and just say you're visiting a friend. Or take the Friday off too and make it look like a proper vacation and you can tell them just about anything.
                  That would work too. But then they might ask more questions. If it's a family member, people generally leave you alone because they don't want to make you sad.

I would use a family member who has died recently - in the last 5 years or so. That way you have stories about them and you will still be sad they are gone if anyone asks. I would change the name to something common like Aunt Susie or whatever. That way if someone calls you on it, get a local newspaper from that weekend and find that common name in the obituary section. The newspaper just has to be from an area near where you flew to or said you flew to. No one will actually do that to you but I like to make sure my lies are fully covered for any situation that might arise. I'm like George Castanza when it comes to lies.

Comment

I assume the reason you're trying to leave is that your employer is asking you what you're doing with your PTO. If I ever encountered that, I'd get out of there as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      I'm like George Castanza when it comes to lies.
                      I was going to rib you about the thoroughness of your lie preparation when this I got to this line... which made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Here is a suit packing video from Put This On. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQbpTW7HSk
                        Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Working...
                        X