Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Winter Trip to Munich/Prague/Japan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Big Winter Trip to Munich/Prague/Japan

    Hey guys. I have't really been active on the forums so I'm pretty new to this but as for Dappered.com itself, I've been a daily reader for the past few years. The main site is one of my favorite resources for great advice/deals. Just thought I'd take this opportunity to ask if anyone had any comments about my upcoming trip to Munich, Prague, and Japan (Osaka, Kyoto for a day trip, and Tokyo). I am traveling from mid December through the first week of January with my girlfriend and a few friends.

    I've already done a bit of research for all the cities but I would still appreciate any suggestions on what to see, what to eat, where to shop, etc just in case I missed something. If you have knowledge of local places and hidden gems that tourists wouldn't usually know, that would be awesome. If you have advice on what I should avoid or what isn't really worth the time, please feel free to comment as well!

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    #2
    If you are up for a hike, my favorite shrine in Kyoto was Fushimi Inari, which is famous for the thousands of red gates lining the path up a mountain. When you make it all the way up, the view overlooks the city and I found it a very rewarding experience. I forget exactly, but it probably takes about 1.5 hours to climb all the way up. Not sure what the weather will be like in Kyoto at that time though.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Moelman View Post
      If you are up for a hike, my favorite shrine in Kyoto was Fushimi Inari, which is famous for the thousands of red gates lining the path up a mountain. When you make it all the way up, the view overlooks the city and I found it a very rewarding experience. I forget exactly, but it probably takes about 1.5 hours to climb all the way up. Not sure what the weather will be like in Kyoto at that time though.
      Thanks so much for your tip. That sounds great! I had a similar plan in mind for Tokyo. We're planning to hike up Mount Takao which is supposedly a decent hour long hike with a great view of Tokyo at the top. So your tip is definitely something I'd look into.

      Comment


        #4
        You're probably not dumb like me:

        I randomly got into the smoking car in the bullet train and just assumed everybody in japan smokes so I just sat there. After 1 hour, I couldn't take it any more and went to the next car and it was non-smoking.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by dapperandy View Post
          Thanks so much for your tip. That sounds great! I had a similar plan in mind for Tokyo. We're planning to hike up Mount Takao which is supposedly a decent hour long hike with a great view of Tokyo at the top. So your tip is definitely something I'd look into.
          Happy to help. I wasn't familiar with Mount Takao, and am planning on going back next year, I'll have to look into it. I'm kind of obsessed with Japan, so let me know if you have any specific questions. Or if you are looking for more ideas, I wrote up some blog posts on what I did there a while back: http://www.jeffmoeller.com/japan/

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ninpb View Post
            You're probably not dumb like me:

            I randomly got into the smoking car in the bullet train and just assumed everybody in japan smokes so I just sat there. After 1 hour, I couldn't take it any more and went to the next car and it was non-smoking.
            Haha, I'm a non-smoker as well so that sounds awful. I appreciate the tip, I'll keep it in mind!

            Originally posted by Moelman View Post
            Happy to help. I wasn't familiar with Mount Takao, and am planning on going back next year, I'll have to look into it. I'm kind of obsessed with Japan, so let me know if you have any specific questions. Or if you are looking for more ideas, I wrote up some blog posts on what I did there a while back: http://www.jeffmoeller.com/japan/
            Checking out your blog right now, looks very helpful. Glad you have a lot on Shibuya -- that's the area where I will be staying while in Tokyo

            Comment


              #7
              While in Prague a suggestion would be to take a little train ride to the Bone Church http://www.outsideprague.com/kutna_h...ne_church.html .
              Highly recommend Gambrinus Beer

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sdguy View Post
                While in Prague a suggestion would be to take a little train ride to the Bone Church http://www.outsideprague.com/kutna_h...ne_church.html .
                Highly recommend Gambrinus Beer
                Exactly what [MENTION=12402]sdguy[/MENTION] said. I went to Bone Church two weekends ago, and I was blown away by it.

                For Munich, I would say try and catch a Bayern Munich Bundesliga match if its possible. 70,000+ people screaming their heads off and drinking Bavarian Beer is a sight to see. Try using Viagogo.com for tickets.

                Comment


                  #9
                  sdguy and Flying Gorilla, thank you both for your suggestions! I'll look into Bone Church. As for the Bayern Munich game, I would've loved to go see one but I think they are playing an away game while I'm in Munich. Will try to catch the game at a bar or something

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I would not go to Japan without heading out to Kojima, Okayama to see some vintage shuttle looms in action. The Momotaro store with the handwoven loom is on the personal bucket list.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X