Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business commuters with a gym routine: how do you make it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business commuters with a gym routine: how do you make it work?

I commute on a bus to a business casual workplace. I have gyms very close to work, but nothing near my house - so I really need to accept the position (until I move) and just learn how to pack things in for a morning gym session.

What are the things that make this work for you?

The first question is a bag. I need something not too small to fit work clothes into on the way to the gym but not something so unwieldy I can't navigate a crowded bus. I normally carry a briefcase with my laptop and documents, but may just try to figure out how to just leave stuff at home/work. The bag I've seen that looks promising is the Hershel Novel, but it seems like it could also be on the large side.

Second, how do you pack things in the morning without messing up your work clothes - and how do you pack things after the gym to keep the bag from being a mildewy mess after consistent use with a wet towel?

I figure I'll get a little shower caddy and get little bottles for any face wash/shampoo/moisturizer/etc. that I normally use. Any other useful buys that help make the routine easier to manage?

https://www.bespokepost.com/box/refresh
    and they had a duffel bag before that was a great size and a great value that was done by blue claw a couple months ago.

Wear your work clothes to the gym. Hang up your shirt on one of the hangers that should be laying around. Make sure you bring shower shoes.

Comment

I can't offer any advice other than at some point you will forget to pack fresh underwear and will free ball at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by imliuwhoru View Post
        https://www.bespokepost.com/box/refresh
        and they had a duffel bag before that was a great size and a great value that was done by blue claw a couple months ago.

Wear your work clothes to the gym. Hang up your shirt on one of the hangers that should be laying around. Make sure you bring shower shoes.
        See, I was considering that this morning - should I put on my work clothes, then change at the gym and then back again? I ended up wearing workout clothes and just packing my work clothes.

Something seemed weird to me about putting on my clothes for a 20 minute bus ride, after not showering in the morning. But maybe it's just the way to go?

As far as the toiletries, I plan on just buying the travel bottles you can fill with your own stuff - I already know what I like/use. I figure I'll also buy a small mesh shower caddy or some sort of bag I can bring stuff into the shower with.

The Blue Claw bag looked good but didn't have a shoe compartment, which *seems* like a very useful thing, although I may be too hung up on that.

I used to be a gym regular but the past year at a "real" job has really killed any routine and I'm just looking to make the extra efforts like these as minimal as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          I can't offer any advice other than at some point you will forget to pack fresh underwear and will free ball at least once.
          Definitely this.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            The worst is when you forget your towel.

Comment

So, I'm spoiled with having a gym on my work campus only a 2 minute walk away. I usually workout mid-day, and I pack:

- Gym clothes/shoes
              - Toiletries

Toiletries go in a cheap dopp from target that I don't care if it gets smelly/needs to be replaced once a year.. and then the rest goes in a small gym-size duffel that I actually got from my employer a few years back. That hershel actually looks pretty good.

I can go workout, shower, and then head back into the office. I just keep my gear in my office, or just put it back in my car after my workout.

If you're worried about the sweat/mildewy/whateverness bring a plastic bag for your stuff after you workout. Toss the sweaty stuff in there, tie it up, then toss it in the wash when you get home.

Comment

Regarding the mildewy/sweat buildup in your bag, considering getting a few of these to throw in your gym bag. I use them right now for my boots and running shoes and they work wonders!

http://www.amazon.com/Moso-Natural-P...amboo+charcoal

Comment

Originally posted by jwu_hoo View Post
                  Regarding the mildewy/sweat buildup in your bag, considering getting a few of these to throw in your gym bag. I use them right now for my boots and running shoes and they work wonders!

http://www.amazon.com/Moso-Natural-P...amboo+charcoal
                  These are awesome! I also use these for boots and all pairs of sneakers - basically anything I would not use a tree shoe on.

Comment

Duffle bag, waxed canvas I feel works best due to water resistance.
                    Dopp kit for show goodies.
                    KISS principle. After a few days you will find your grove and it will be second nature.

Don't forget your protein bro. Also if you are working out pre-breakfast is recommend bcaas for working out in a fasted state to prevent muscle breakdown while keeping insulin low.

Comment

Working...
                    X