Holiday Shopping for Your Girlfriend/Fiance/Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Shopping for Your Girlfriend/Fiance/Wife

It's that time of year. Last year I got my wife a pair of shearling Frye engineer boots. It was a masterstroke that I'm afraid I won't be able to repeat.

So, basically what I'm looking for is:

Step 1 - Find gift for significant other.
    Step 2 - Post it in here.
    Step 3 - Other guys find inspiration from it.
    Step 4 - Profit

Tickets to The Book of Mormon.

Comment

Since your last gift was a pair of Fryes, I am going to assume you have a few dollars to spend?

You can never go wrong with Tiffanys. There are usually several beautiful silver pieces at relatively Dappered-friendly prices. Relatively. There are a ton of options under $300 and several around $150.

A nice piece of luggage or a purse can be a good one, depending on her style.

One year I had a hard time narrowing down a "bigger" item, so I filled a stocking with a bunch of smaller things I knew she'd love. That actually went over really well.

Perfume if you know what she likes.

Cashmere.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by Young Florida Lawyer View Post
        Tickets to The Book of Mormon.
        Damn, good call. It's not going to be back in Cleveland 'til August though. Blah.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
          Since your last gift was a pair of Fryes, I am going to assume you have a few dollars to spend?

You can never go wrong with Tiffanys. There are usually several beautiful silver pieces at relatively Dappered-friendly prices. Relatively. There are a ton of options under $300 and several around $150.

A nice piece of luggage or a purse can be a good one, depending on her style.

One year I had a hard time narrowing down a "bigger" item, so I filled a stocking with a bunch of smaller things I knew she'd love. That actually went over really well.

Perfume if you know what she likes.

Cashmere.
          Jewelry is out of the question. I have no clue what she wants. I got her a ferragamo bag for our anniversary (consignment, I may have some cash, but definitely not that much), so that'd be beating a dead horse.

I like the cashmere or lots of smaller stuff ideas. Good call.

Comment

My wife just had a solo car accident so she is getting that repaired and we are having some tree pruning done to the house so that is my gift somehow. Plus we are also going to Paris in January so we are skipping the Holiday season...and we buy what we want without judgement. It makes gift giving tough...

Comment

Start suggesting that gift giving is over rated early in the year. Or suggest a reasonable price limit on gifts. Tickets to something that can be shared sounds like the best idea.

Comment

Probably a dishwasher.

We tend to use holidays as the time we buy things that are over the personal "screw it, I'm buying this' limit. For our anniversary and my birthday, the two of us repaired a lot of the siding on the house, and repainted the exterior. Now it's colder, so we'll start working on the inside of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
                  Probably a dishwasher.

We tend to use holidays as the time we buy things that are over the personal "screw it, I'm buying this' limit. For our anniversary and my birthday, the two of us repaired a lot of the siding on the house, and repainted the exterior. Now it's colder, so we'll start working on the inside of the house.
                  Yeah, back when we were poor I did that kind of stuff and it went ok. I was thinking of building an in-wall, cedar shoe carousel/lazy susan for her as a gift (but which would also benefit me). Maybe this + tickets to something we both would enjoy would be a good set of gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
                    Probably a dishwasher.
                    Funny that as the new one comes today and my wife claims it is her Xmas present (it is far superior to anything we have owned to date).

I will caution against cashmere unless she is a girl who likes to look good and takes the time to wash hand wash items. My wife is at home with the kids and the really nice cashmere sweater I got her never sees the light of day as it is delicate and requires hand washing - both of which are an issue with kids and the dirt they generate.

This year I went for a lot of smaller, less fancy items (she likes lots of presents) - part of that is my multi year battle to get her out of her ratty old clothes into some decent ones (victory this week when she threw out some ripped sweaters). I went with a couple of nice tops, a long sweater coat thing she can throw on and some decent gloves.

We aren't rich so I tend to focus on the every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X