No announcement yet.

Main site comments down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel that the main site has been on a slow decline since Joe changed the posting frequency. I can't recall when exactly this was, but it went from 3 posts per day without fail all released at once to one maybe 2 posts a day now. Maybe Joe has gotten tired of the site and given up.

As for the comments being gone I think a dose of thick skin would go a long way. I had comments deleted that were not trollish in nature. I got no response when I questioned it and was even sent an email by Joe. Did I cry or get mad; no. It is a web site for God's Sake. The lack of comments have hurt the site. I would be very interested in seeing traffic numbers since the change.

Comment

• [MENTION=8396]mcadamsandwich[/MENTION] [MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] -- Cool idea. I'll see what we can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdo View Post
        [MENTION=8396]mcadamsandwich[/MENTION] [MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] -- Cool idea. I'll see what we can do.
        I think the suggestion to copy/paste the article is important here. Or maybe a link from the forum topic to the article is better for driving site traffic.

I check in on the forum a lot more often than I go to the site. As things are working now, it's not always obvious that a new forum topic is referring to new site content; sometimes it seems like a discussion starting in midstream, and it takes a few posts to figure out what's going on.

Comment

• So I just noticed that there's now a not to "continue the conversation" via twitter, Facebook, or the forums. I don't remember that from when the comments were first dropped. Seems like a good indication that comments are not coming back.

How many of you guys are using tapatalk vs just your browser for the forums. Tapatalk gets pretty lousy reviews on iTunes Store. Is it worth it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jisch View Post
            So I just noticed that there's now a not to "continue the conversation" via twitter, Facebook, or the forums. I don't remember that from when the comments were first dropped. Seems like a good indication that comments are not coming back.

How many of you guys are using tapatalk vs just your browser for the forums. Tapatalk gets pretty lousy reviews on iTunes Store. Is it worth it?
            I have stopped going to the main site completely, now just depending on my RSS reader to catch up on the articles. No point in going if the articles can't be discussed.

I don't access forums on my phone. On tablets and PCs I simply go directly to the forum web site. No point in paying for an app when mobile web browsers are so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jisch View Post
              So I just noticed that there's now a not to "continue the conversation" via twitter, Facebook, or the forums. I don't remember that from when the comments were first dropped. Seems like a good indication that comments are not coming back.

I use Tapatalk, and it makes following conversations a lot easier, IMO. It does crash on me all the time, on both iOS (phone) and Android (tablet), so I can understand the negative reviews. It also doesn't show polls (which only really matters for the Friday Challenges). I can live with those shortcomings and limitations, though.

Comment

• +1 for Tapatalk, if you're on forums. It handles the two or three of mine really well, and my version (iOS) doesn't crash.

Comment

• -1 onTapatalk. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very confusing, and requires multiple taps to get where you want to go. Mobile browser or laptop is much easier for me.

Also, I think I agree with the previous poster who said Joe might be planning on selling the site. It looks like he is pulling back in preparation for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                    -1 onTapatalk. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very confusing, and requires multiple taps to get where you want to go. Mobile browser or laptop is much easier for me.

Also, I think I agree with the previous poster who said Joe might be planning on selling the site. It looks like he is pulling back in preparation for that.
                    Whaty is to be gained from someone buying the site? Maybe a brand will buy it as a turnkey community. I think JCF or AE would be good choices as the site is littered with posts on both brands.

Comment

• Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                      Whaty is to be gained from someone buying the site? Maybe a brand will buy it as a turnkey community. I think JCF or AE would be good choices as the site is littered with posts on both brands.
                      I'd be shocked if a clothing brand would buy a site like Dappered. Just doesn't make sense, as the content covers many other brands/topics. It'd most likely be another style blog or blog consolidation website, in which case they'd probably try to keep Joe on and possibly slowly add other contributors to lessen his role eventually.

Comment

• Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses. Doesn't need to spend years building up readership. Employ a group of low paid contributors. Slap on some more ads and bring in revenue. Popularity will eventually decline, but buyer is betting on increased ad revenue to compensate.

Whoever buys it, I hope they keep the forums going.

Comment

• IMO this speculation about Joe selling the site is just that - speculation. Until I see actual evidence otherwise, I don't see any reason to believe that the given explanation for removing the comments (namely, to preemptively pull the plug on increasingly numerous and abusive comments trolls) is not truthful.

Do I wish Joe had been more publicly transparent about the decision to pull the comments? Yes. Do I wish Joe had opted for some less drastic solution that would have preserved the comments section in some form? Yes. Do I believe Joe is merely sanitizing the site and trying to pull the wool over the readership's eyes in anticipation of selling the website? Not until I see convincing evidence supporting that conclusion. Casual speculation, even when it is reasonable and not maliciously-intended, does not convince me.
                          Ben

Comment

• I don't post much, but I visit the site frequently. I'm logging on just to say that I'm really hoping the comments section comes back.

I felt that the comments section always added a lot of value to the postings, and I find myself less and less excited to check the site the longer comments aren't around.

Comment

• Now the main site blogs are down, too!? #RIPjoe <3

Comment

• Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                                Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses.
                                Dappered will never share readers' email addresses with advertisers. Period. It angers me that you suspect that highly unethical behavior of Dappered. I almost deleted your post, but I felt it important to nip this in the bud.

This is a warning. Please do not create imaginative scenarios where Dappered engages in malicious behavior towards its readers. It's a discourteous move on your part.

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                                Now the main site blogs are down, too!? #RIPjoe <3
                                Joe was just coordinating an awesome giveaway with Orient. They've graciously offered to give away a new model, the Sun and Moon. The post is up on the main site as I write this.

Comment

Working...
                                X