Main site comments down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
    Whoa, I really hope my 'douchy scarf' comment wasn't taken as one of these unpleasant comments!
    I remember engaging with you on that point, and l never could figure out why our discussion got the moderator-axe.

Comment

Well the comments were up and running for a few minutes this morning.....

Comment

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
        My point is that it seems to me like he/they were trying to control the tone of comments to an excessive degree and probably decided it is just easier to not allow comments at all.
        That would truly be unfortunate. For a while now, I've considered Dappered a source of entertainment more than a source of style/sale advice, and the interaction with the commentariat was my primary source of the entertainment on the site.

Comment

Yeah, I got the email about your reply to the comment, but could never reply/clarify what I meant by it.

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
          I remember engaging with you on that point, and l never could figure out why our discussion got the moderator-axe.

Comment

Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
            Yeah, I got the email about your reply to the comment, but could never reply/clarify what I meant by it.
            I imagine that, in the end, we'd have agreed that some people like scarves, some don't, and sometimes scarves look douchey. Heaven only knows how much blood would have been spilled to get there...

Comment

Reading through this thread, it seems important to mention (reiterate) that the mods on Threads are mostly removed from any decisions regarding the main site. The main site is Joe's brainchild. Some of us have helped with moderating comments on the main site. However, we are volunteers and mostly moderate Threads. Thus, we don't really have insight into the inner workings of the main site. They operate as mostly independent entities.
              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Just an idea, that a lot of other sites use, is to post every new main site article as a new thread in the forum, and link to it for further discussion from the Main site article, this way the mods can Moderate it, and people can report bad posts. It also would increase forum membership. It is somewhat done like that now, but it just links to the forum at the end of each article. Copy/paste the article as well. mixedmartialarts.com does it this way and it is one of the most popular forums on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                  Just an idea, that a lot of other sites use, is to post every new main site article as a new thread in the forum, and link to it for further discussion from the Main site article, this way the mods can Moderate it, and people can report bad posts. It also would increase forum membership. It is somewhat done like that now, but it just links to the forum at the end of each article. Copy/paste the article as well. MMATV does it this way and it is one of the most popular forums on the net.
                  This is a great idea.

Comment

I hope Joe comes up with something better than this. The comments were a pretty big reason I've been coming here every day for the past 4 years. It's rare to find a quality mens style site with not just the amount of commenters Dappered had, but the amount of GOOD commenters it had.

Comment

Originally posted by sandwich View Post
                      Anyways, getting rid of comments and making the articles "read only" is going to prevent a lot of people from continuing to follow the site, perhaps myself included.
                      I'm a part of this group.

With Disqus on the site, I really enjoyed the fact that I could jump in and interact whenever time allowed, without having to add to my already too-great number of online accounts/sites to follow. I understand the need for moderation (especially having seen/flagged one of the particularly nasty comments toward Beth before it was removed), but trolls will be trolls, and they will always be about, no matter the underlying technology (vBulletin, or Disqus, or anything else). Unfortunately there is really no getting around the need for a solid team of moderators and relying on responsible users to downvote/flag/report bad comments, whatever the system may be.

The current solution (all discussion takes place on Threads) is just shifting that burden to the users/moderators of this forum, rather than eliminating it (which is virtually impossible).

Comment

I'd sure love to hear a response from Joe on this. Anyone who has personal contact with him, could you please send him this way? I'm just curious to know if he plans to re-open the comments.
                        My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Originally posted by diversification View Post
                          I'd sure love to hear a response from Joe on this. Anyone who has personal contact with him, could you please send him this way? I'm just curious to know if he plans to re-open the comments.
                          There is a link to email him directly on the right side of every Dappered page.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul | pdgessler View Post
                            I'm a part of this group.

With Disqus on the site, I really enjoyed the fact that I could jump in and interact whenever time allowed, without having to add to my already too-great number of online accounts/sites to follow. I understand the need for moderation (especially having seen/flagged one of the particularly nasty comments toward Beth before it was removed), but trolls will be trolls, and they will always be about, no matter the underlying technology (vBulletin, or Disqus, or anything else). Unfortunately there is really no getting around the need for a solid team of moderators and relying on responsible users to downvote/flag/report bad comments, whatever the system may be.

The current solution (all discussion takes place on Threads) is just shifting that burden to the users/moderators of this forum, rather than eliminating it (which is virtually impossible).
                            Agreed. Comments are make it or break it for me

Comment

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
                              There is a link to email him directly on the right side of every Dappered page.
                              I'm well aware that any of us can contact Joe. I'm hoping that someone like bruschetta will take notice and send Joe our way.

Paging [MENTION=2325]bruschetta[/MENTION]
                              My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

I tried to start a new topic on today's review by Joe of the Crosby Fit suit (it failed due to a missing security token? whatever) because I would've loved to see the comments regarding his genius use of the Incredible Hulk accessories... (sad face)

I love the one of him "hulking out" of the chains - so awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X