This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official "We Miss Duvel" Thread

Anybody else notice how quiet it's been around here the past few days? I don't think a single conversation regarding the tucking-in of shirts or Ivy/Trad style has been had in days!

Like his opinions or not, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] keeps the conversations moving here in the Threads, and add's quite a bit of entertainment especially if you're into the taking off the gloves "style" preference thread battles.

We miss you buddy...Godspeed on your return back.

I noticed, too. Maybe he's just on vacation...

(I also think a lot of conversation is being sucked up by the "ask a question, get an answer" thread)

Comment

He's been posting at Ask Andy.

Comment

Free Duvel!!!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing earlier today...

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
            (I also think a lot of conversation is being sucked up by the "ask a question, get an answer" thread)
            this is true. its a weird thread that reduces new topics and kind of discourages replies by being hard to follow.

Comment

I did notice a drop in postings lately...could it all be explained by Duvel's vacation?

Comment

I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

Comment

He got banned due to a online tough guy altercation with me. It was entertaining while it lasted though.

Comment

was pretty sure that was a temp ban though

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                      I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.
                      Same here. He's too smug for me.

Comment

I actually think it is worrisome that two of our largest contributors in Duvel and FredGUnn have been banned recently. Is this how we want to run a forum where one can be banned for speaking an opinion that is not positive? Whether you agreed with Duvel or not or found him annoying (or smug) is irrelevant to that fact that he added a lot of positives to this forum. Not having those two members, among others also banned makes for a less vibrant exchange of ideas. That is just my opinion though.

An this is not becasue I miss Fred's shoe finds or Duvel's Ivy/Trad talk (which I do!)

Comment

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                          I actually think it is worrisome that two of our largest contributors in Duvel and FredGUnn have been banned recently. Is this how we want to run a forum where one can be banned for speaking an opinion that is not positive?
                          I hesitate to weigh in on this because (a) I'm a frequent visitor to threads, but an infrequent poster, (b) Duvel can't weigh in to defend himself. However, that hesitation is just that, hesitation. So with that caveat:

I do not find it worrisome that Duvel and FredGUnn, two of the largest contributors, have been recently banned. I also do not believe they were banned for speaking an opinion that is not positive. It seems to me that dappered threads attempts to set itself apart from other menswear discussion boards by encouraging and focusing on positive, friendly interaction (i.e. if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it in the comments). It doesn't seem to me that people's problem with Duvel is that he offers opinions that are not positive or popular. For example, his opinion that OCBD should be a little on the billowy side - that opinion didn't bring out the pitchforks.

What does bring out the pitchforks, and what does warrant banning (temporary, at the least), is the manner in which Duvel interacts with others. He doesn't abide by (what I deem to be) the unofficial dappered threads rule - "if you can't say it to their face, don't say it all." His comments are often condescending, impolite, and just generally not nice.

For example, a few weeks ago in a Friday Challenge, one user posted his outfit that many of us would not consider wearing. Duvel's response - "lol." I find that just... rude. Here's a guy who puts himself out there in what should be a friendly competition, and he gets laughed at. Does Duvel go up to people and laugh out loud in their face in real life, so to speak? I highly doubt it. And if so, if he is the type of man to laugh at the clothes someone is wearing, then I don't want to interact with him here, or elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                            I actually think it is worrisome that two of our largest contributors in Duvel and FredGUnn have been banned recently.
                            Was Fred banned? I thought he just got a warning or whatever and left.

Comment

I don't know the specifics of what led to either Duvel or Fred being suspended/banned/whatever. However, I'm OK with a certain minimal level of civility being enforced. I get enough incivility in my offline life, I don't need to deal with any more of it here. Of course, civility is going to mean different things to different people. Two people might express the same opinion as "you are incorrect for the following reasons" and "you're wrong, go f*ck yourself." In different environments, either of these might be perfectly acceptable or hideously rude.

Obviously, mods are going to have to make judgment calls regarding when someone has crossed a line into expressing themselves rudely, rather than just being vehement or expressing unpopular opinions. They also have to make judgment calls regarding the appropriate action to take (which, I assume can run along a spectrum including private admonition, public admonition, comment deletion, suspension, and bans). I haven't seen any evidence of anyone being slapped down for expressing unpopular opinions. I suppose it could have happened, but I kinda doubt it. So, my assumption is that any suspensions were based on the means and/or tone of the expression rather than the content.

I have opinions about the respective "voices" that I saw used by Fred and Duvel in this forum (my opinion of each is quite different from the other), but in the end I don't know what led to the mods making the calls they did, so I'm just going to trust that their decisions made sense in light of the level of discourse they are attempting to foster here.

Comment

Working...
                              X