No announcement yet.

Policy and law around hashtags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is also vital to know that some people merely like to be difficult.

If the same thing happened to me, I'd be flattered, i.e., wow, they like my photo, out of all the ones they must look at, and they like it enough to post it on their site. If nothing else, if the guy's a photographer, it's gotta be great free promotion.

For my part, I took my post of the picture (sharing the college's post) down immediately. My reaction was, the hell with you! You can't take the compliment, then we don't need your damned photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
      I just took another look at the post in question. The college left it up! I heard that the jerk is okay with us using his precious photo now after getting our apology. It looks to me like it was re-posted, i.e., not shared directly from instagram.
      Then, in his defense, he was actually right. He probably wanted to make sure he was getting credited for the picture, and that the college wasn't stealing his content.

Perhaps he could have been more polite about it, but the college was in the wrong, not he.

Comment

True. I see and agree with this now, given your helpful explanation.

To our credit, the office did fully identify him as the photographer, and cited the source (Instagram). To his discredit, he just wants to be right, not good.

It's hard to know all that's going on with him, of course, but it seems to me that he created a fuss over nothing. There was no harm done, and there were no egregious intentions. The college merely took a misstep but this guy is all up the communications office's butt about it. And get this--after saying to the office, okay, apology accepted, you can use my photo, he went to the post and added a comment under the photo describing what happened and what a terrible mistake the college had made.

Argh... it's this kind of self-righteousness that diminishes my respect for humanity. Or at least for our alums.
        Last edited by Duvel; June 9, 2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hahahahaha! Well, be glad he didn't sue you guys for copyright infringement.

In the grand scheme of things, a little bit of internet trolling is far more palatable than a lawsuit over a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
            To our credit, the office did fully identify him as the photographer, and cited the source (Instagram).
            Doesn't matter. His content, his rights. Copyright infringement is separate from plagiarism. For instance, I can give credit to a movie, but I'd still be committing copyright infringement if I uploaded it to my website.

"Hey guys, here's this awesome movie that Steven Spielberg produced! You should check it out - it talks about my people, the dinosaurs. Here, you can watch it on my website..."

Comment

I know. It's just that he's not being good about it. Yes, technically, we are wrong, he is right. But it was an unintentional mistake. Moreover, our intentions were good and even honest, and I think it is clear we meant no harm. We had nothing to gain from re-posting his photo.

I guess my point is that his righteous indignation seems misplaced. Okay, buddy, be right, but can you also be kind. Was it necessary to rip the college a new asshole because of some perceived personal affront?
              Last edited by Duvel; June 9, 2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?
                The Dude: No you're not wrong.
                Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?
                The Dude: You're not wrong Walter. You're just an asshole.
                Walter Sobchak: Okay then.
                Just my thoughts on this mess.

Regards,
                Vic
                "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                  X