No announcement yet.

Baby Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to bike to work but just can't do it in a suit and tie profession. I would even jog home (distance is doable) but the hassle of leaving clothes at work and keeping track of what is at the office what is at home seems like too much of a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
      And sweaty?
      Not really, no. It's been a cool summer so far. I had to wear my Baracuta this morning. Even when it's warmer, the route is so short there's barely time to break a sweat.

Comment

I hear ya. That's why I don't wear a suit.

Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
        I would love to bike to work but just can't do it in a suit and tie profession. I would even jog home (distance is doable) but the hassle of leaving clothes at work and keeping track of what is at the office what is at home seems like too much of a pain.

Comment

Outside of college, I've never lived close to work/been in a non-suit/tie gig. Plus, I travel a lot, so no bicycling to work.

I can totally see the allure of doing it if I could, though. That said, I am afraid of riding my motorcycle in Boston - not sure I'd feel any safer on a bicycle.

Comment

Aside from my years in the USAF, my career has been in the creative or publishing fields where suits have been required only rarely. However, this is the first time I've lived closed enough to ride my bicycle to work. I did it all last summer and into about late November before it became too cold and the roads too snowy or icy. I love it.

Comment

Yesterday was brutal. Had an early morning call with the partners, and have a board meeting today. So, worked a 14 hour day yesterday after getting 4 hours of sleep Sunday night. And then, had the early morning "shift" with watching the kiddo this morning. So, no workout.

Meeting an old (IP lawyer) friend for dinner tonight. But I got ~5.5 hours sf sleep, so I am hoping I can get out a little early, hang with my buddy, and hit the gym tonight.

#willtrademoneyforsleep

Comment

Sounds brutal.

Before the kid, the only way I worked out and kept working out was if I had a set schedule. Run on mwf, gym Tues Thurs.

Now it really is all about getting it done whenever you can.

Comment

Yeah. Although I guess realistically, evenings are the only time I can hope to get a workout in.

And if I work too late, all bets are off.

Comment

I hope you guys ate plate sized pancakes with too much butter and syrup and ate your 2 inch thick ribeye with double servings of mash, french fries or your carb of choice yesterday and drank too much beer watching world cup and nba championship.

Comment

My brother posted this link on his FB status this morning: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14019...fferently.html

He does this kind of thing a lot. As a marathon runner and PX90 exceller, he either posts bragging rights over miles run in a day or muscles pumped, or he posts this unsolicited fitness and health advice. I am okay with it generally but I also find it a bit condescending to see this stuff passed along. It makes me feel like he senses the rest of us are inferior.

I particularly take exception to item 3. This seems judgmental and harsh, if you ask me. I'm not going to dump the few real friends I have just because they might not be as health or fitness conscious as I am. And I would hope a friend wouldn't do the same to me.

Comment

The "getting sleep" thing seems particularly relevant for this thread. That is probably what gets in my way the most often.

Comment

If you become a little overweight because you're not sleeping, with a new baby, and thus unable to work out, are you going to lose your healthy friends?

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                            Outside of college, I've never lived close to work/been in a non-suit/tie gig. Plus, I travel a lot, so no bicycling to work.

I can totally see the allure of doing it if I could, though. That said, I am afraid of riding my motorcycle in Boston - not sure I'd feel any safer on a bicycle.
                            haha I'm sure you would feel less safe on a bicycle. I live an hour north in NH and there's roads up here that I don't even feel safe riding my bike!

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                              haha I'm sure you would feel less safe on a bicycle. I live an hour north in NH and there's roads up here that I don't even feel safe riding my bike!
                              Hahaha! I agree. It's not the roads as much as the drivers that I'm worried about -- they don't call 'em Massholes for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                                My brother posted this link on his FB status this morning: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14019...fferently.html

He does this kind of thing a lot. As a marathon runner and PX90 exceller, he either posts bragging rights over miles run in a day or muscles pumped, or he posts this unsolicited fitness and health advice. I am okay with it generally but I also find it a bit condescending to see this stuff passed along. It makes me feel like he senses the rest of us are inferior.

I particularly take exception to item 3. This seems judgmental and harsh, if you ask me. I'm not going to dump the few real friends I have just because they might not be as health or fitness conscious as I am. And I would hope a friend wouldn't do the same to me.
                                I am generally with you on this one. But there is something to be said about having friends with healthy habits, though. It's peer pressure, conscious or not.

I have found that when I have friends who are very health conscious, I act the same. When we go out and they order salads with water, I am less inclined to order crap. And dessert? Forget it. On the other hand, when you have friends who order wings, fries, and large beers with two cheesecakes, you tend to at least eat a little more unhealthy than you would otherwise.

The same goes for people you work with, too. For instance, my coworker on my current case eats a salad for lunch and dinner, every day. And he eats oatmeal and an omelette for breakfast. I find that as a result, I tend to pretty much eat healthy. I rub off on him, too -- I usually only have water or coffee (breakfast and late afternoon), and he's cut down any juices or sodas he'd drink in favor of water or a cup of coffee in the afternoon.

In contrast, I spent time at a client in Texas when the cafeteria had all kinds of unhealthy food, and all my coworkers ate crap. And even when I tried to eat healthy, I found that I still gave in to eating crap more often than I would otherwise.

The same thing goes for fitness and working out -- a lot of my friends and I do rock climbing, and I've found that over time, I either draw my non-climbing friends to go climbing, or when I fall off the wagon, my climbing friends pull me back into it.

So, I don't think it's as much about advocating conscious discrimination against non-fit people as it is about just the natural way of things. I mean, hell, my friends who do cross fit are the worst -- they refuse to associate with any of us muggles who don't do cross fit or paleo, and can't stop talking about it (and for a while, those that did P90X were the same way, although I think it's waning).

Comment

Working...
                                X