Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rant: What do you guys think of selfies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant: What do you guys think of selfies?

My brother has this odd, and to me, irritating habit of posting selfies from his PX90 workouts. Muscles bulging, weights lifting. Captions usually read something like, "I'm only human but sometimes I'm super."

It's not that I'm jealous. I don't think. He does have better muscles than I do. He is more fit. He runs huge marathons while I might bicycle a couple of miles every other day.

What gets me is that it feels narcissistic and bragging. He plasters these selfies on Facebook. I hardly ever respond, because what's a guy to say. "Bro, great muscles!" Or, "Wow, I'm impressed." But my sisters and his friends all "like" these selfies and often comment.

Am I just being a jerk? Why does this bother me? I've asked my wife why it bothers me and she just thinks I'm jealous because he's better fit and has more hair (LOL) (which he still wears in kind of a 70s California surfer dude way, i.e., below his ears and down to his shoulders in back).

Thoughts?

Duvel, in the end, you have us, so that makes you the winner.

Comment

It's good to be loved.

Comment

lol

Comment

Speaking of the surfer hair... Isn't it just "wrong" for a guy over 45 to wear his hair like that? Even, like, over 30?

(Rant continues)

Comment

It sounds kind of annoying to me. But, it's certainly not the only annoying behavior displayed on Facebook. In fact, to me, that's kind of the point. I take a look, quietly* judge the garbage posted by my family, friends, and acquaintances, then go about my day secure in the knowledge that I am still comparatively awesome. I have no doubt that they do the same to me, though I will (if asked) strenuously defend my own social media behavior (mostly consisting of a few photos of my kids each week) as eminently reasonable.

*I will judge less quietly the people who post as truth easily debunked urban legends and/or conspiracy theories related to vaccines, "chemtrails," and the like.

Comment

Yeah, I have almost no use for FB anymore. I check it over coffee in the morning just to kind of keep up with the family, but I hardly ever post or comment. The stuff I post probably seems dull to most people. I usually gush about a great book I'm reading, or some music I've discovered, and it usually doesn't get much more personal than that. It would just feel like really bad from to do selfies and bragging. Look at me, look at me!

Comment

I guess I post photos of myself here enough that I can't really shit too much on anyone doing so elsewhere, though. At least I'm fully dressed, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                  I take a look, quietly* judge the garbage posted by my family, friends, and acquaintances, then go about my day secure in the knowledge that I am still comparatively awesome.
                  Well said. This is exactly what I find myself doing from time to time. Election times are the worst on social media. Everyone's own political ideals are the only ones that can true... I just read and keep my disdain to myself or sometimes I'll vent a little to my fiancé.

Back to selfies: they suck. Although this may be hypocritical of me considering I take selfies for things like the Friday Challenge and WIWT. They don't make it to any social media though. In fact you guys are usually the only ones that see them.

I used to be fat (6'2" 260#) and I was always annoyed at selfies like the ones you mentioned, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]. I told myself that I didn't like them because of the same reasons you mention, and not because I was fat and jealous. Now I'm not fat (6'2" 190#). I'm no fitness model, but I lift hard 5 days a week and do cardio most days too. I still am annoyed at those people. I can't imagine myself in the middle of the gym taking a pic of my bicep pump, or whatever. Its ridiculous, and I'm with you Duvel.

Comment

I have some gym friends who post selfies and it is annoying. Why just ask someone to take your picture...like "bro, take my pic, I have this sweet pump going on" but then they probably realize how lame it is and just take it themselves. Someone love me!!!

The funny thing is though most of the gym people have a hard time staying in relationships...if you are so beautiful why can't you keep someone. Learn to love someone other than yourself.

Comment

My brother is happily married (so I assume anyway), and the thing is, he and his wife are both health and fitness fanatics. She's not as bad about posting the pumped-up selfies, though. And I always think, so who else are you trying to impress and why? Isn't it enough to show off your big body to your lovely wife? I just don't get the motivation.

Re the political views, my brother does that, too. He's liberal, and I'm liberal, but he comes across as a wild-eyed fanatic on social media. A couple of times I've offered a differing opinion, not sharply opposed, but a different nuance, and he practically has raged back at me. I no longer comment on anything he posts, and I took him off my "follow" list a few weeks ago when the latest "look at my big muscles" photo popped up on my timeline.

The thing is, I also wonder what he thinks about my non-response, as I'm the only one in our family, aside from my wife, who doesn't respond in some way.

Comment

[MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. That being said, it is severely narcissistic, but he's obviously not alone in that behavior. If it is someone's way of motivating themselves, then by all means -- just don't expect me not to judge them for it.

I'd also draw a legitimate distinction between a WIWT selfie and a gym/mirror selfie. I doubt I have to explain further in that respect to present company.

Comment

Of course, here there is a purpose, to ask for feedback, get reactions about fit and styles, etc. I doubt my brother is looking for a critique: Uh, I don't know. The left bicep looks a little smaller than the right bicep.

I guess it could be worse. If not for FB, my brother my start doing something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkMkodo4MI&feature=kp

Comment

I don't really care one way or the other about selfies, they're just pictures to me... what really annoys me is people who call a regular picture a selfie. just because it's a picture of a person, doesn't make it a selfie... god, that word sounds stupid when I think it.

Comment

It does. I was using it in a derogatory way. It's like the fast-food version of the true self-portrait.

To feed the rant fire: http://dailylounge.com/the-daily/ent...-are-the-worst

Comment

Working...
                              X