Europe Backpacking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe Backpacking Advice

I am in the infancy stages of planning a backpacking trip through Europe for the month of August. All I know for sure is that I will be flying into Dublin and out of Rome. Looking for all the advice I can get at this point.

Cities to visit, hostels to stay at, places to eat, things to see, backpacks to buy, anything you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if you're still planning this or have already started out but either way, I've got to say that I'm jealous as hell. I would love to be able to do what you're doing/planning to do.

With that said, and never having backpacked across any country before, here are some things that first came to mind.

As far as backpacks and some good general information start here, http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...beginners.html , read it and get lost in the many sub-links. There is a wealth of information to be had. Don't forget to put some real thought and consideration into good shoes.

Ireland - Not sure how much you intend to travel around Ireland, but if you plan to travel north make sure you do some basic research. Though they are on the same piece of land, Northern Ireland and Ireland do have their differences. Best to know what these are before you get there and possibly offend someone or make an ass out of yourself. Euros (Ireland) and Pounds (Northern Ireland) are used depending on where you are.

Money - Try to determine how long you will spend in one region and only purchase as much currency as you think you will need for that time/region. This will help alleviate money lost doing multiple conversions. Keep in mind that there is generally a percentage cost for conversions if using a currency vendor. I'm not sure if banks charge a percentage or not though. Carry some cash but try to do most of your spending on cards. If something happens cash is lost instantly and cards can be canceled and alternate access to funds arranged. Also, keep in mind that things are not cheap over there.

Travel - I've only been to the Germany area (eastern Belgium, Luxembourg, western Austria and much of Germany south of Frankfurt) so I can't offer too much on the many other countries that you could choose from. I can't say that I ever had a bad experience in any of the countries/areas I visited but I did notice that the people get nicer as you move south in Germany though.

There were three areas that I used as my base when I was there: Schleiden Gem├╝nd (SW of Cologne), Mitterfels (just north of Autobahn 3, between Regensburg and Deggendorf) and Oberstaufen (in the souther tip of Bavaria). All three are beautiful areas in the summer and winter.

Keep an eye on this site, http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...swarnings.html , just to make sure you're not walking blindly into something.

When you are in one of the countries that DON'T speak English as their native tounge, at the very least make an effort to interact with them in their language. It may take a bit longer and they may laugh at you a little bit but they will appreciate your efforts (even if you butcher their language) and your experience will be all the better for it. (Assuming you're American here) - Do everything you can to NOT be the asshole American. There's already enough of them in that part of the world and they don't need any more.

There's so much more that I'm missing or can't think of but hopefully this will help a little.

Have a great time! And be safe.

V

edit: If you travel through Germany, you can't skip their Bratwurst. Each area has their own take and speciality and they are all worth a try.
    Last edited by Rt1583; June 13, 2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Cool! My only advice is travel light, as light as possible.

Comment

My friends backpacked for 2 weeks with a focus on my wedding in Germany. They found hostels were not too much cheaper than hotel rooms though hostels let you meet people. May be wise to snag a hotel every now and then to get a better nights sleep.

Comment

Working...
        X