The Last Movie You Saw...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I saw The Hobbit last week and actually thought it was a much more enjoyable film than any of The Lord of the Rings movies (which I really liked when they first came out). The film certainly looked better than a lot of modern sci-fi and fantasy movies, undoubtedly owing to the use of mostly real landscape backgrounds and a blend of CGI and traditional special effects rather than 100% CGI. I really don't agree with you on the fakeness of the movie's look - but then, I watched it in plain ol' 2D. I refuse to watch any movie in 3D because of how lousy it makes the film look.

Overall I thought the tone was much more appropriate to the subject matter - the movie was more lighthearted and didn't take itself nearly as seriously as The Lord of the Rings movies, which often felt both pompous and ponderous. Having re-read the book this fall (never liked it when I was a kid... enjoyed it slightly more as an adult), I was pleasantly surprised by how true the movie was to the relatively small number of scenes that actually came from the book.

I still feel it was a mistake to try to stretch a children's book into three full-length films. Two might have been more plausible, but I have a really hard time seeing how much more stuff they're going to find to fill up the dead space in the next two films.
    To clarify, I saw it in 2D and was simply mentioning how it was produced and what that may have caused in all versions of the final product. Also, The Hobbit is indeed for younger readers, but I was surprised by the adaptation taking some full gore and cartoonish dialogue into one film instead of going for a more focused choice of either direction. It seemed too gory for children, but the dialogue and action were clearly not what I'd call adult.

I would have preferred an adaptation of The Hobbit that directed it towards the tones and adult nature that much of the dialogue and action contained in The Lord of the Rings instead of a film with far younger values coming when fans of the Tolkien film universe are now 10 years older. It also was very obvious to me that the film relied on more CGI than ever, and went for more colorful stylization than I could welcome into a land I've already pictured and been shown. While there was certainly a lot of shooting in New Zealand, it appeared to be far more altered footage and lighting than the previous trilogy and far less interested in familiar light and physics that we were comfortable with in the original films as we saw what was far more plausible and dramatically compelling play out.

I had a good time, but this film was no legendary film act of a trilogy, which is something many would agree can be said for all three of the original trilogy entries.

Comment

My last movie that i saw was Skyfall 077.........

Comment

Last movie I saw in theaters was Oz, The Great and Powerful (title?). Unfortunately I watched it in 2D and think I really missed some of the fun. That being said, the whole experience would have been much more enjoyable on drugs regardless. Overall, i wasn't a huge fan (mainly went because fiancee and friends wanted to).

Last movie I watched at home was Seven Psychopaths. I'd like to watch it again, because i feel like i missed some deeper meaning for parts. I enjoyed it, but I often have a soft spot for dark comedy.

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
        To clarify, I saw it in 2D and was simply mentioning how it was produced and what that may have caused in all versions of the final product. Also, The Hobbit is indeed for younger readers, but I was surprised by the adaptation taking some full gore and cartoonish dialogue into one film instead of going for a more focused choice of either direction. It seemed too gory for children, but the dialogue and action were clearly not what I'd call adult.

I would have preferred an adaptation of The Hobbit that directed it towards the tones and adult nature that much of the dialogue and action contained in The Lord of the Rings instead of a film with far younger values coming when fans of the Tolkien film universe are now 10 years older. It also was very obvious to me that the film relied on more CGI than ever, and went for more colorful stylization than I could welcome into a land I've already pictured and been shown. While there was certainly a lot of shooting in New Zealand, it appeared to be far more altered footage and lighting than the previous trilogy and far less interested in familiar light and physics that we were comfortable with in the original films as we saw what was far more plausible and dramatically compelling play out.

I had a good time, but this film was no legendary film act of a trilogy, which is something many would agree can be said for all three of the original trilogy entries.
        realizing I'm quoting an old post...

I haven't seen it yet, but I wish they would have kept it down to 2 movies, max. I understand that they're adding story from other Tolkien sources, but come on. The Hobbit is shorter than any of the individual LOTR books and yet they have the audacity to stretch it out to 3 (long) movies.
        Last edited by Deke; March 26, 2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The Queen of Versailles

Available on Netflix and Amazon Prime, this has to be one of the luckiest breaks for any documentary director ever. I almost recommend not reading about it or watching trailers if you don't already know it. It has high reviews and did well at Sundance, and I am not surprised. The film follows the Siegals, owners of Westgate Resorts. The company is the world's largest time-share company.

The initial premise for the film is to follow the wealthy couple as they build the largest home in America, an adaptation of the palace of Versailles. But damn, just when you think it will be an actually interesting and real blend of Anna Nicole Smith and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, it takes a twist and becomes a timely and raw documentary.

I was really pleasantly surprised at how my stereotyping and judgments at the beginning of the film, intentionally promoted by the director, ended up in a way different place due to the events of the film.

If my vagueness and attempt to let you be surprised aren't convincing enough, feel free to check some info and reviews on RottenTomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...of_versailles/

Comment

Recently I watched "The Bicycle Thief" (yes, I know, I know -- how had I not seen it yet, etc.) It does not disappoint. Years of buildup, and it was just as powerful as people had said it was.

I post this because I watched it last week after someone posted a link to Roger Ebert's review of it.

RIP, Roger.

Comment

The recent movie i have seen that is Mission impossible which is the awsome action movie.

Comment

I have seen recently.
                Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - Trailer
                A Good Day To Die Hard - Trailer

Comment

I guess I'll put this here because it is being referred to by its creators and the press as a short film (it runs 27 minutes). This also serves as a few music videos, however. Their collaborations are beautifully shot films directed by Anthony Mandler starring and developed by Lana Del Rey, featuring her original music. The newest one TROPICO:

Featuring "Gods & Monsters" "Bel Air" "Body Electric"

Last edited by Cannon; December 6, 2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Old Boy remake - I enjoyed it but it was a little disturbing

Pacific Rim - fun popcorn movie

Europa Report - kinda slow but it was ok for a low budget sci-fi flick

The Colony - steaming shite sandwich

Thor 2 - meh. Didn't hate it but didn't think it was great either

Man of Steel - I saw this in the theater when it first came out but rented it again and it wasn't as good the second time around. The FX sucked, especially the fight scenes between Zod and his henchmen

Comment

The Last Movie You Saw...

I watched Gravity last night. I was pretty blown away by it. Wish I had caught it in IMAX.

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                      Old Boy remake - I enjoyed it but it was a little disturbing
                      More so than the original?

Comment

The original Old Boy was pretty messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post

More so than the original?
                          I haven't seen the Korean version of Old Boy, nor have I read the original Japanese graphic novel. I read a brief synopsis of the Korean film and there's a lot of overlap. they both basically have the similar endings/plot details that make your skin crawl

Comment

Now You See Me

It was fairly good...could've used a bit more plot development. Very "Ocean's 11(ey)"
                            Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Comment

The Grand Budapest Hotel: I enjoyed it. Story is simple, visuals and acting are great, jokes and gags are good. It was quite enjoyable but don't expect a masterpiece. The music to match the scene where Adrien Brody is walking down the hallway is just perfect. I want to watch it again in the future and see if it still holds up.

Comment

The Counselor: what a craptastic film. I've avoided this movie because the reviews were horrible, and it is indeed horrible. Too bad because I like Cormac Mcarthy...he's just not a very good screenwriter

Comment

Working...
                                X