X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Originally posted by sierra.alpha View Post
    I open the deals thread, and I see deals for $400 and $500 shoes and boots...that must mean either we are definitely out of recession, or we are heading back into one.
    Those types of things would usually get posted in the Fred's Finds thread but with Fred gone, no one posts there much anymore.

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Those types of things would usually get posted in the Fred's Finds thread but with Fred gone, no one posts there much anymore.
    I would had I more time. Also, I miss the Ebay finds posts. That was fun.

Comment

Might have missed it. Where did Fred go?

Comment

I think he got blacklisted or something.

Comment

Fred G. Unn was banned this spring by consensus of the site moderators and administrators after several instances of bizarre and manipulative behavior. The majority of moderators have determined not to discuss the incident in any further detail out of respect for Fred G. Unn's privacy. I personally disagree with that decision but I will respect it until the majority of moderators determines otherwise.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            Fred G. Unn was banned this spring by consensus of the site moderators and administrators after several instances of bizarre and manipulative behavior. The majority of moderators have determined not to discuss the incident in any further detail out of respect for Fred G. Unn's privacy. I personally disagree with that decision but I will respect it until the majority of moderators determines otherwise.
            an unfortunate decision. Fred always makes meaningful and helpful contributions over at SF and AAAC. Don't know what he did here to draw the ire of the Dappered mods but I don't agree with the decision to ban him either.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
              an unfortunate decision. Fred always makes meaningful and helpful contributions over at SF and AAAC. Don't know what he did here to draw the ire of the Dappered mods but I don't agree with the decision to ban him either.
              Let me be clear: I do not disagree with the decision to ban Fred, which was entirely appropriate in the circumstances. I disagree only with the decision not to discuss the details of the events that led to the ban. In my personal opinion our silence has led to far too many people being left with an unjustifiedly rosy perception of and sympathy for an individual who (again, in my opinion) went out of his way to demonstrate that he did not deserve it.
              Ben

Comment

Ya I don't really understand the edict to not speak about it.

Comment

I'm not a mod and was told some of the events by Fred himself so I see no reason why I can't talk about it. I don't remember the exact details now but basically he was getting tired of not being able to make even minor jokes (I believe he was reprimanded by certain mods) and getting tired of seeing the same 'newbie' posts over and over. He created a new account and posted some newbie questions and scenarios under that username in an attempt to make a point. It was mocking the forums/mods and ended up getting him banned. Like I said, it's been a while so the details are fuzzy now so I could be off a bit but that's the gist of it.

I love Fred but he did deserve to get banned for that alternate account thread. And by that point he really didn't care and was basically asking for it and seeing what it took to get banned. I do agree with him that the threads are a bit too heavily policed. I enjoyed the light hearted Duvel style humor and think there is such a thing as a dumb question and you should be able to take some light ribbing for it so long as people don't start piling on. But that's an entirely different conversation that isn't appropriate here.

To put it back on topic, I received an email this morning for BR with a personal code that gets me 50% off any 1 item as long as I use my BR card.

Also, everything is 50% off at J Crew factory. Although some of the items I've seen cheaper in some of their other recent sales.

Comment

Folks, mods have written about this several times in multiple threads. It is not some big secret and happened quite awhile ago. Just use the search function to learn why he was banned. It was a group decision and was not due to joking with new members.
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I love Fred but he did deserve to get banned for that alternate account thread. And by that point he really didn't care and was basically asking for it and seeing what it took to get banned. I do agree with him that the threads are a bit too heavily policed. I enjoyed the light hearted Duvel style humor and think there is such a thing as a dumb question and you should be able to take some light ribbing for it so long as people don't start piling on. But that's an entirely different conversation that isn't appropriate here.
                      Hah. I liked Duvel, too! I just wished he could have taken it as well as he gave it.

Comment

Let me be clear: I do not disagree with the decision to ban Fred, which was entirely appropriate in the circumstances. I disagree only with the decision not to discuss the details of the events that led to the ban. In my personal opinion our silence has led to far too many people being left with an unjustifiedly rosy perception of and sympathy for an individual who (again, in my opinion) went out of his way to demonstrate that he did not deserve it.
                        On the contrary, I believe that most of us that have a "unjustifiedly rosy" opinion of Fred know exactly what he did to get banned, and I daresay that his actions haven't really changed our opinion of him. We look on him with sympathy because he was one of the more helpful members here in his time (if not the most helpful by a long shot), and his advice and propensity to communicate great deals is missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Siepi View Post
                          On the contrary, I believe that most of us that have a "unjustifiedly rosy" opinion of Fred know exactly what he did to get banned, and I daresay that his actions haven't really changed our opinion of him. We look on him with sympathy because he was one of the more helpful members here in his time (if not the most helpful by a long shot), and his advice and propensity to communicate great deals is missed.
                          You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, given that most of the offending posts were deleted almost immediately and the moderators have not shared the details with the forum readership, it is unlikely that you know "exactly what he did to get banned." Unfortunately, this sort of speculation is precisely the kind of thing that we moderators inadvertently invited when we declined to explain the reasoning behind the ban in the first place.

We are aware (as Vicious has indicated) that Fred reached out to numerous Dappered forum members to try to explain himself after his ban. Even if you've heard directly from Fred (or from another member who was contacted by Fred), you are only getting the story from the perspective of an individual who is obviously interested in defending his reputation.

The fact that Fred had made such a positive contribution to the forum prior to the events in question is, in part, what made his subsequent behavior so bizarre and intolerable. Some of the moderators had considered Fred a friend. The decision to ban him was not made lightly or frivolously.
                          Ben

Comment

Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Gentlemen, this thread is intended to serve as an area for discussion of forum moderation decisions. Please contain discussions related to moderation to this thread. We will do our best to answer your questions, explain our actions, etc.

Comment

Do Super Moderators get capes? Are they fully canvassed? What type of material are they made out of... not poly I hope? Is that all they're allowed to wear? Can Super Mods fly?
                              My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Working...
                              X