X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kittiwake30
    replied
    It's an opportune time for me to thank the moderators for the volunteer work they do in this community. I think they do a fine job, and, even if I didn't, I don't have the stones to criticize the commitment of people willing to do a service I am not.

I am not too invested in these arguments while the streets run rife with riot and the polar bears struggle to survive. Bunch of guys talking about men's fashion, in a civil fashion, largely.

I've learned one thing late in this life I wish I'd learned earlier, and that is don't cater to chronic critics or the pathologically negative. While constructive criticism is welcome with open ear and mind, laptop experts should be thrown to the Sarlaac.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by AngusM View Post
    I think we can all agree that the search function is pretty terrible, though. When I search WUS, I can find what I'm looking for pretty readily. Not so much on here.
    The search function certainly leaves much to be desired. That is not something within the control of the moderators, however.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
    You're welcome.

That was mostly alcohol fueled, but now that I'm coffee fueled-it's still 100% accurate. Banning people and then sweeping it under the 'privacy' rug is a cop out. If they were doing something on a public forum, then the reasons are just as public. If you want to veil it under privacy that's your right, but it's a lie, and we all know it.
    I don't get it I don't frequent many forums anymore but I used to in the past. I've never been in one where the standard policy after somebody was banned was for the mods to openly discuss the matter. It's usually "X was warned several times for Y action and he failed to comply with the board TOS he agreed to when he signed up. Therefore he lost his posting privileges"

NSA be spyin' on everyone and you're worried about transparency regarding bans on Dappered...

Leave a comment:

• TravelingJ
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Thanks for that constructive contribution.
    You're welcome.

That was mostly alcohol fueled, but now that I'm coffee fueled-it's still 100% accurate. Banning people and then sweeping it under the 'privacy' rug is a cop out. If they were doing something on a public forum, then the reasons are just as public. If you want to veil it under privacy that's your right, but it's a lie, and we all know it.

And then being told "go search" is a slap in the face to the members. Even if you can figure out how to work around the search annoyances, it's still a garbage search that barely gives you accurate results, if any. Before this spin-off thread started, I did try to search to see what happend with Fred, and all you can find are vagueries with a lot of inferences that require you to read between the lines and assume.

If you want to claim you are being transparent, 6 months after the fact-then you can expect (and deserve) more than a few 'it's about time's.

Leave a comment:

• AngusM
    replied
    I think we can all agree that the search function is pretty terrible, though. When I search WUS, I can find what I'm looking for pretty readily. Not so much on here.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied
    Hence us trying to have this conversation [MENTION=10108]TravelingJ[/MENTION]. Also, remember that moderation here and the main site are completely separate.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TravelingJ
    replied
    Transparency here is a total joke. Joe kills off things on the main site and tells nobody. Regulars are banned and nobody is told what happens. Search is convoluted and hidden to the point where it's useless. "Go use the search" makes me madder than anything. How? Search ONE TOPIC forum? Absolutely useless. Turn on the damned search that EVERY forum in the world uses. If that puts such a demand on the server, then someone needs a new $7 a month server.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Originally posted by diversification View Post
    Do Super Moderators get capes? Are they fully canvassed? What type of material are they made out of... not poly I hope? Is that all they're allowed to wear? Can Super Mods fly?
    The moderator uniform is too degrading to describe. And too revealing to share.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    I have been around this forum as long as almost anyone and I honestly don't care about the issue. I get annoyed w the newbie posts but I either make a helpful quick reply if I have time or just move on. This is a popular forum, not a secret clubhouse, so the great thing is there's always someone willing to help out. And while Fred is no longer allowed to post here, there are several other quite active members who, like myself, are willing to discuss and spend money on higher end or more obscure products. There was a bit of a vacuum for a little while but honestly...I don't think I'm missing anything. Then again I also read SF regularly so maybe that's why.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by diversification View Post
    Do Super Moderators get capes? Are they fully canvassed? What type of material are they made out of... not poly I hope? Is that all they're allowed to wear? Can Super Mods fly?
    We get masks, not capes. They are fully canvassed, air-conditioned, custom-tailored by Tibetan sherpas of hand-plucked Himalayan yak wool, and dyed with the blood of mine enemies.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Gentlemen, this thread is intended to serve as an area for discussion of forum moderation decisions. Please contain discussions related to moderation to this thread. We will do our best to answer your questions, explain our actions, etc.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Siepi View Post
    On the contrary, I believe that most of us that have a "unjustifiedly rosy" opinion of Fred know exactly what he did to get banned, and I daresay that his actions haven't really changed our opinion of him. We look on him with sympathy because he was one of the more helpful members here in his time (if not the most helpful by a long shot), and his advice and propensity to communicate great deals is missed.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, given that most of the offending posts were deleted almost immediately and the moderators have not shared the details with the forum readership, it is unlikely that you know "exactly what he did to get banned." Unfortunately, this sort of speculation is precisely the kind of thing that we moderators inadvertently invited when we declined to explain the reasoning behind the ban in the first place.

We are aware (as Vicious has indicated) that Fred reached out to numerous Dappered forum members to try to explain himself after his ban. Even if you've heard directly from Fred (or from another member who was contacted by Fred), you are only getting the story from the perspective of an individual who is obviously interested in defending his reputation.

The fact that Fred had made such a positive contribution to the forum prior to the events in question is, in part, what made his subsequent behavior so bizarre and intolerable. Some of the moderators had considered Fred a friend. The decision to ban him was not made lightly or frivolously.

Leave a comment:

• Siepi
    replied
    Let me be clear: I do not disagree with the decision to ban Fred, which was entirely appropriate in the circumstances. I disagree only with the decision not to discuss the details of the events that led to the ban. In my personal opinion our silence has led to far too many people being left with an unjustifiedly rosy perception of and sympathy for an individual who (again, in my opinion) went out of his way to demonstrate that he did not deserve it.
    On the contrary, I believe that most of us that have a "unjustifiedly rosy" opinion of Fred know exactly what he did to get banned, and I daresay that his actions haven't really changed our opinion of him. We look on him with sympathy because he was one of the more helpful members here in his time (if not the most helpful by a long shot), and his advice and propensity to communicate great deals is missed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X