Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ploneal78
    replied
    As an addendum to my previous suggestion, sticky and lock a 'guide to...' thread. A simple pm to the mod team to have a guide added would be required to add to the thread. I think something like this would give new people like me a goto source for basic info and avoid allot of unnecessary threads. Granted there will always be those of questionable intelligence and corner cases still posting, but there is no way to completely avoid that

Leave a comment:

• bjmcgeever
    replied
    Originally posted by greg_s View Post
    The moderator team is discussing options to solve this issue.

One thing that I would like to weigh in is, so what? We get people asking for help. So? That's the point. Without some repetitiveness, there are a finite number of style topics, in my opinion. The beauty of Dappered is that it has never been like SF and shunned new folks looking for advice. If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    This. Exactly this. Glad a mod finally voiced the thoughts I've had for a while.

Leave a comment:

• pyourne
    replied

One thing that I would like to weigh in is, so what? We get people asking for help. So? That's the point. Without some repetitiveness, there are a finite number of style topics, in my opinion. The beauty of Dappered is that it has never been like SF and shunned new folks looking for advice. If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    I've seen forums where one could filter out threads and/or users that you want to ignore. Can this site develop something similar? A simple checkbox next to the brown shoes threads, and poof, no more brown shoe threads showing up in your thread list. For those that want to view brown shoe threads, they are available without having to search through 300 pages of a stickied thread or 400 posts from 2 years ago.

That being said, I really like this site because there is a welcoming community here. If I asked a question and the response was "google it" constantly I would go find another site to visit. One can also ask those really specific questions and get answers. Google could probably answer them as well, after many, many, many hours of searching. That one thing this site has to offer that not many other do.

Leave a comment:

• Siepi
    replied
    If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...r45xo1_500.gif

Jokes aside, I agree with Greg. Too often consolidated "get help here" threads become cluttered. For instance, I've seen variations on this situation happen all too often:

1. Person 1 asks question 1.
    2. Person 2 responds to question 1.
    3. P1 asks P2 for clarification on Q1.
    4. P3 asks Q2.
    5. P4 asks Q3.
    6. P5 responds to Q2 and Q3.
    7. P4 responds to P4 about Q3.
    8. P1 pipes in: "Hello, P2? Can you answer me?"

Et cetera. However, with the recent addition of mentions, these results may be mitigated. Also, if everyone becomes sick of seeing the same threads over and over again, it may lead to threads going completely unanswered. That can be frustrating as a new poster and may lead to fewer new members, although the constant influx of first-time posters doesn't really support my hypothesis.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ploneal78
    replied
    Perhaps a sticky where people can post style/fit guidelines they find online? Its what I was looking for when I initially stumbled upon this place.

Leave a comment:

• zcm
    replied
    Seems like we may benefit from a "Help me with this outfit" type of thread.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
    I've always wondered why this seemed to be the only forum that didn't have that setup. Why isn't it a link on the main forum page?
    Using that search can cause a higher server load and slow the forums down.

Leave a comment:

• TravelingJ
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    I've always wondered why this seemed to be the only forum that didn't have that setup. Why isn't it a link on the main forum page?

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
    I wish the forum could get better searches. There are times when I KNOW there has already been a thread on something but cannot find it with search. I think that could possibly cut down on some new posts, as well.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    More sticky'd threads sounds like the best solution so far.

How do we get people to add photos to their post properly? It's astonishing how many people don't know what a properly formatted image link looks like and how to use one on a forum.

Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
    I wish the forum could get better searches. There are times when I KNOW there has already been a thread on something but cannot find it with search. I think that could possibly cut down on some new posts, as well.
    Use google and tell it to search these forums only.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Agree with comments about the recent threads. I've been ignoring most of the threads here, and posting less, because they're all pretty similar and quite boring, and I feel bad responding w/ "Use the Search" or "Look on Reddit MFA" - though I think the "Ask a Q Get an A" threads are often a jumbled mess. I like the idea of a few more stickied threads pertaining to common questions: Interviews, Weddings, Just Starting Out, Beginners Shoe Advice, etc. I think those would probably cut down on the # of threads.

I really dislike the Appreciation Threads model at SF. I think it kind of hurts a lot of cross-brand talk and a lot of interesting discussions get lost in massive single-topic threads that are better suited for their own thread.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    The other forums have threads that say "Ask a question, get an answer" or something to that effect. But I agree with Duvel, I used to read everything thread here...now most threads are variants of the same thread.

How many brown shoe threads do we need.

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    i think the first rule of forum reading is to skip all the stickied threads

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Maybe we sticky help threads to try and condense those type of threads into just one thread?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X